PDA

View Full Version : Piston and sleeve broke

awsomeaussies
06-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Well, me and my boyfriend took a dune trip for memorial weekend. The Honda started creating a knock and not long after this happened.....
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/awsomeaussies206/quads/untitled1.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/awsomeaussies206/quads/untitled2.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/awsomeaussies206/quads/untitled3.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/awsomeaussies206/quads/untitled4.jpg http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/awsomeaussies206/quads/untitled6.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/awsomeaussies206/quads/untitled7.jpg

Not exactly sure why:confused: The bike had a topend rebuild less then 2 years ago. 416 Powroll kit, bored by C&D. Could it have been a sleeve failer?

F-16Guy
06-05-2010, 01:02 PM
What does the head look like? Is there any evidence of gasket leakage? It looks like you still have the stock studs, so maybe it developed a head gasket leak and got hot and seized up.

From my experience, the stock sleeves aren't prone to breakage. The older 440 kits with a straight sleeve used to get hot and expand against the cases (if you didn't clearance the cases during assembly), which would make a tight spot and either seize the piston or break the skirt off.

It's hard to speculate, since there are so many factors that could have contributed to the failure. Did you gap the rings when you put it together? What octane fuel and what jetting were you running? There are lots of possibilities.

Whatever the cause, the outcome definitely sucks. :cuss:

TRXRacer1
06-05-2010, 05:03 PM
If you reuse that bottom end make sure you tear it down to every last little piece. I've seen single slivers get into bearings leading to a blow out of the balls that then leads to breaking trans gears. Can get real ugly if not 100% cleaned out.

Just a guess but the way your skirt is broken I would bet the sleeve went first. Most likely you're just a victim of a freak accident.

awsomeaussies
06-05-2010, 07:03 PM
That's what my boyfriend thinks... the sleeve went first and took out the piston. We'll diffently clean everything! I guess we did get pretty lucky considering all the gears look fine. The rod looks fine as well. There's alittle side to side play in the rod, but I think that's normal???

We didn't notice any signs of a head gasket leak, but anything is possible really. The head studs are stock... but considering it was only a 416, it should have been fine, plus the bolts were tight when we took them off. Rings were gapped correctly and we were running 92 octane. The comp is 10.8 so I don't think race gas was needed.

It's been a bad few weeks for both our bikes, but I guess ***** happens. lol:scary:

CJM
06-05-2010, 07:15 PM
You sure it wasnt lack of lubrication, perhaps the oil pump went south? I had a zuk 230 that ran oout of oil and DESTROYED the cyl, piston and part of the case. Piston and rod went right thru it.

Maybe a ring broke on the piston too..never know.

awsomeaussies
06-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by CJM
You sure it wasnt lack of lubrication, perhaps the oil pump went south? I had a zuk 230 that ran oout of oil and DESTROYED the cyl, piston and part of the case. Piston and rod went right thru it.

Maybe a ring broke on the piston too..never know.

Good call, we'll have to check out the oil pump. When your talking about the rings are you talking about the rings that go around the piston or the snap rings that hold the piston in place? Because one of the snap rings was broke in half. We found half in the bottom of the case and the other half still in place.

My worst fear is putting it all back together not really knowing why it happend and then having it do the samething all over again.

TRXRacer1
06-05-2010, 08:20 PM
How did the cam and rockers look? That will tell you right away if oil was getting moved around adequately.

CJM
06-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Was talking about actual rings on the piston.

But now that you mention one of the snap rings failed on the wristpin that could easily have been it. Makes sense as the pic where the cyl is busted could be the same side the snap ring failed. But the bigger Q is why did the snap ring fail, bad snap ring, lack of lube, etc? We probably wont know why, but still a good thinker.

I agree with TRXRacer1 too, check out the cam, rockers and head to see if it has any bad wear. Scratches and gouging mean it had little to no oil.

awsomeaussies
06-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Cam and rockers were perfect. Come to think about it there was oil in the top of the head so I'm sure the pump was working.

CJM
06-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Then I say if it had oil in there the snap ring on the wristpin broke and caused the piston to slam into the side of the cyl.

awsomeaussies
06-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Does anyone know if that looks like a stock sleeve?

aDviSol2y
06-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Hard to tell if its a stock sleeve. But with a 416, it should be, unless its been blown up before. Most likely your just the victim of unlucky failure. Like said before, when you put it back together, make sure you go through everything with a fine tooth comb. I personally have a tiny pieces of a piston destroy a bottom end right after a rebuild because I thought I had it all cleaned out. Sorry about your luck, that freakin sucks big time.

hocman123
06-07-2010, 08:48 PM
maybe u had to much oil in the engine and the oil had no place to so the pressure built untill the snapeing broke.

just my 2 cents

awsomeaussies
06-08-2010, 12:07 AM
Just under 3 quarts with an oversized tank. So it should have been fine.

jcs003
06-08-2010, 02:15 AM
did you suck in any dirt? check your intake tube for dirt. k&n filters are known for letting fine dirt through. if you go too ;ong without cleaning the filter and intake tube, there is a good possibility dirt is the culprit for your failure.

sc400ex_rider
06-08-2010, 12:11 PM
It could be installation error. I had the Local Cycle shop crack the exhaust bridge on a 2 stoke sleeve install. LOL they also over bored it. they took my std. piston and gave me a .020 over on a new sleeve. it lasted about 30 minutes. I got my money back and just bought a new cylinder and it ran for 5-6 years. If yours ran for 2 years it prolly had a casting flaw. :(