PDA

View Full Version : HELP 05 450r CDI Issue

LeGaCyGiAnT124
06-05-2010, 12:45 AM
Hello,

I had a CDI box fail on me causing to lose my spark on my quad. I found this out by switching parts with a buddies bike and it was positively the CDI box. So I got my buddy that sponsors me to order a new one and I put it in my bike today. I also put a new idle adjustment knob on my carb because the old one was froze and didn't work properly anyway. So I go to fire the bike up and the only way to get it to start is to give it like half throttle ( When before I would give it none) and when it starts it backfires and acts really weird, cutting out shooting flames, ect. It would be impossible to even ride it like that, let alone it would be embarrasing.

Why would my bike act like this with a new CDI box that is an OEM replacement. Is Rick's Electronics junk or what? The 105 price tag wasn't.....

I want to hear your guys opinion on the issue of why the bike is acting this way now. Like I said, when the bike had my buddies stock CDI in mine it ran fine just as before when my CDI decided to take a crap. Thanks

-Brandon

Butter
06-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Well, first off thanks for the rad. Worked out awesome! Your problem is you changed 2 things at once. That being said I would believe that the last time you jetted the bike, the spark was weak, so you probably jetting lean so it was able to burn the fuel going through. Now with the correct amount and strength of spark, you don't have enough fuel going through it. OR you just got a junk box, and need to send it back ASAP for another one. Just a thought. I could be completely off. But it better than getting no info back at all.

eastside 400
06-07-2010, 05:11 PM
i wouldnt say its jetting, the CDI wont take much spark power away, it just will kill it. When you changed the idle adjuster did you take the carb off or do anything with it? does it run with the choke on? make sure your fuel mixture screw didnt back out either