PDA

View Full Version : This weeks problem

mydirtkids
06-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Anyone else have the swingarm cross tube buckle? The shock mount did not break... it collapsed and shifted down nearly 3". (Post pic later). This trashed a new Fox Float in the process. Thanks :mad: What is the deal with the materials used on this thing? Has anyone else have all these problems with their DRR? Are all the mini's like this?
Broke frame 3 seperate times AFTER full gusset kit. Bent the rear brake rotor, bent axle, broke front engine mount to frame, list goes on and on... bike new middle of March this year:confused: I rolled my 400EX pretty bad the other day and...only bent bars and plastics toast. The DRR has not seen anything remotely like this.
How much more would it possibly cost to use better metal?? This thing would rock without these issues. Hope someone at DRR is listening..

We need a BROKE smiley!! Seems it would get some use:blah:

raidernut
06-02-2010, 09:50 PM
What type of suspension are you using? how big is your rider, and what type of riding?

mydirtkids
06-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Drr 90, Fox floats with the LT and JB LT arms in front (rock..) Stock :scary: swingarm... should have known better than trust the factory stuff. Was just trying to get a couple races out of it with a fox float (setup for this config). My son is 61lbs with gear, no haircut and needing a bath... Riding MX.. his first 3-4 mos. riding anything with a motor. Lots of upgrades, the swingarm was next. Ready to give up and try something else. :grr: Am I just going thru normal DRR pains?

raidernut
06-02-2010, 10:32 PM
With front suspension only he is probably just outriding your set up in the rear. Get the rear to match the front, and you should be fine.

mydirtkids
06-02-2010, 10:56 PM
I just need to go to bed;) . It took every last bit of self control not to say anything negative in front of my son but I pulled it off. We need to add a venting smiley too!!:D

drxracing
06-03-2010, 02:17 AM
raidernut is right we had the same problem with are stock swing arm ours ripped the welds right off the thing switched to LT swing arm and it was much better

mydirtkids
06-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Yeah, cant believe they want $280 for one of these either... you gotta be kidding right? Wouldn't pay $1 for a new one.

The stock swingarm was absolutely DESTROYED! I can fix a crack/break but this thing is twisted beyond repair. I do the little stuff, but my welder was literally speechless... not impressed with the metal, welds or design. Modifed polaris trailbike design..

I can here chinese music in the background:chinese: This is as much as a safety issue as the stock shocks and frame.

kpnone
06-03-2010, 09:32 PM
My son snaped his swingarm completely off at the pivot point. Two weeks later he broke the frame (completely through) in three places. We're running a stock swingarm with Elka shocks all around.

rmuscle
06-04-2010, 05:42 AM
we have full lt suspension and still cracked our frame in 2 places and my rear shock mount on the frame is not looking to promising

thequadfather+2
06-04-2010, 07:16 AM
no problems here...

thequadfather+2
06-04-2010, 07:18 AM
again, no problems...

thequadfather+2
06-04-2010, 07:19 AM
it has survived a year of punishment on standard travel....lots of bad landings from over jumping stuff and even a bent A-arm still the frame has survived...

kpnone
06-04-2010, 10:22 PM
it looks like your frame broke before you had "no problem"...

drxracing
06-05-2010, 01:14 AM
dont forget behind the foot pegs & bottom of the frame were it starts to go up i see a lota bikes out there with no gussets there

Rich243
06-05-2010, 05:45 AM
Everyone we know has gone thru the breaking stage as the kids start getting airborn. We suddenly broke an axel, Pipe and shock all in a week. He had been riding his dirt bike for a couple weeks while the quad was being worked on and his jumping distance basically doubled when he went back on the quad. We decided to do Long Travel and shocks so we wouldn't have to do new shocks again when we did the long travel. I asked for advise on here and EVERYONE told me you can never have too much suspension, just not enough. This was a used race quad when we bought it and had been gusseted and we still had cracks and stuff to fix. It is a lot of fun but it does seem to never end. His Kymco trail quad was bulletproof but not much of a racer. My shop explained to me that there is a trade off between speed and reliability. Every step forward requires more attention, maintanence and potential for new problems. We bought the DRR 1 year ago and if you told me then what I would have in this thing now I would have been rolling ROTF laughing at you. But....he is having fun, it is what he loves to do and he is pretty good at it. We can't afford nationals but we try and give the regional series guys a run for there money. And the family's are great. We will go keep it up as long as we can. How does that saing go - Family time at the track "priceless"

thequadfather+2
06-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by kpnone
it looks like your frame broke before you had "no problem"...

:rolleyes: uuhh, yea thats what I was getting at.....Gussetts around the swinger mount, top rails all the way up to the gas tank.......Now,"no Problem"....Heck it didnt come that way and if we had not broken it I probably wouldnt have spent all that time to gussett it. Been that way for a year on standard travel and havent broken a single thing since.

greenmachine70
06-13-2010, 08:31 AM
Thanks QF2 for the great pics, we had a dnf because ours broke Sat night about an inch farther than your break. We had the gussets on the side already, but ours will resemble yours by next race if I can get frame straightened up. Also started cracking between the 2 rear motor mounts.

mydirtkids
06-13-2010, 09:05 AM
Wow, between the rear motor mounts? This is a new place... Oh, just can't wait!:grr:

greenmachine70
06-13-2010, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by mydirtkids
Wow, between the rear motor mounts? This is a new place... Oh, just can't wait!:grr:
no not really it is quite common when they start flying