PDA

View Full Version : Quad and Dirt Bike racing

Rich243
06-02-2010, 08:02 PM
My son has been racing quads for about a year now and doing well. We enjoy it and the family's we have met have been absolutely the greatest people. This being said, he is now wanting to start racing his dirt bike (only had it a couple months) along with the quad. I had a hand brake made for his LEM Rx3 50 so the brakes matched the quad - both hand brakes. Now that the race quad is getting high level I really like having something else for him to ride while it cools down between practice runs.

Here are the questions:

Are there many kids that do both? No one locally seems to and people are telling me that the kids usually pick one or the other. He has wanted to do both since we started.

Is there anything I can do to help him get better on the bike or just seat time for a while?

Thanks,

thequadfather+2
06-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Rich,

Brady does both. He likes the bike and has rode it in several races, mostly in arena cross 50-beginer class. His first race was with about 3 hours seat time on the bike (never been on any other motorcycle) but thats what he wanted. He rode it at SEquads in Pell city last fall because his 70 was getting a make-over and the bikes were practicing between quad races so we let him go.

Heck, I love it. no pressure at all, the little 4-stroke is a tank...Just gas and go, no money, no spare parts, no issues...all fun. He still loves the quad and likes ridding the bike as well.

He actually rode a crf100 last weekend. I put it in 2nd gear and got him going (cant touch the ground), after about 20 minutes of ridding around a giant field he came back to me and I stopped it and held it up for him. By the end of the day he was taking it around the practice track. Not bad for 6 years old... I am actually considering a cobra senior for him. He would love to do both.

I hear you were performing a little make-over on Andrew's 70, I bet he loves it.

Bruce

Rich243
06-02-2010, 08:48 PM
The LEM Rx3 50 is about the same as a KTM Pro Senior. He ran it in the last Durhamtown race this season and did much better than we expected. I am just letting him have fun on it and he is improving rapidly. Our mechanic thinks it will also help the quad riding ultimately.

It doesn't take much room on the trailer:-)

Rich243
06-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Andrews quad has actually turned into a full blown make over. Powder coating frame and nerfs, Long Travel and Elka's, Randy at N Ga ATV being able to play with the engine for couple weeks (Scary). We should be up and running by Broadriver. I am changing jobs also and will be off weekends and able to get to more races. Andrew has been bugging me about going to an arenacross with you guys soon. Hope we can make that happen.
Hi to Brady and Jordan.

thequadfather+2
06-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Thats awesome Rich...Brady is still on the full stock suspension. We are going to try and get that fixed soon though. We are looking at Broadriver but we get back from vacation that week so we are not solid on it yet but should be good-to-go for the rest of SEquads.

Brady asked when he could email andrew again so look for it in the next few days....Good luck with the bike and new quad, I bet it will fly.

Bruce

Rich243
06-03-2010, 09:21 PM
The frame powdercoated. Can't wait to see it all come together.

Rich243
06-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Nerfs.

Rich243
06-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Eric had this done for me by his guy. looks great.

Long Travel is here. Just waiting for the Elka's to come in.

Still haven't convinced Heather on the beadlock wheels........yet.

Thanks again to Eric (EA2 Motorsports) for ongoing support, help and guidance.

ToddL
06-10-2010, 06:34 AM
my son Travis does both - has done it for 4 years now.
He's the only one in our area that does it.
he loves riding both, but to be honest it will be harder on you to
do all the maintenance on 2 different machines.
we will keep doing both until I see it hurting him due to
fatigue (or me!). Travis' style on the quad is definitely more like
he is riding a bike. Anyone who has seen him will say that.
He's a good rider - way up on the tank all the time though.
Atypical for sure, but that's how he rides. Your son will change
his style a bit too I'd think once he does both for a while.
Good luck,
Todd

Rich243
06-10-2010, 07:55 AM
The last race of the season Andrew rode 2 quad classes and the dirt bike. 1 of each is more than enough. He was tired but handled it ok. I didn't have enough time for sure!!!!!!!

We will keep doing it as long as he wants to do it.

We will be up in your area next week. Flying up to see my Dad in Victor (where I grew up) for 5 days. I was hoping to maybe drive up next year with the MX stuff and let Andrew race in the area so Grandpop could see him race in person. If that happens next year I may be asking for some info on where to take him.

Thanks,

ToddL
06-10-2010, 08:29 AM
that's great, just send me a PM when you guys are coming up and I'll let you know where to race.