PDA

View Full Version : oil drain bolt stripped

smorris1
06-02-2010, 08:12 AM
I just bought a 87 250x and someone put a regular bolt for the drain plug and stripped it. Whats the next size bigger bolt I could use? What is the thread size? Thanks, Sean.

smr
06-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by smorris1
I just bought a 87 250x and someone put a regular bolt for the drain plug and stripped it. Whats the next size bigger bolt I could use? What is the thread size? Thanks, Sean.

I think the stock one is 12mm. If that is true then I would tap it out to 1/2 inch standard...Make sure you use a fine thread tap.

dman66
06-06-2010, 05:59 AM
I went to pep boys,bought a 1/2" oil drain plug with a center removable plug within the 1/2" plug. The main plug you thread in to the engine,then you can remove the smaller center plug for oil changes. The 1/2" plug will have a plastic washer on it, the smaller plug has an o-ring on it.You will have to tap your existing hole out to accept the new plug. Take you time at centering up the new threads, so you don't cock the new plug in engine.I can snap a pic if needed. Also if you go with a drain plug within a drain plug, try to find one that is short or shallow. You don't want your plug hanging down to far below the frame!!!!!! Mine works great! I only have to remove the small plug when doing oil change,without removing the main plug to the engine.