PDA

View Full Version : quad dies at WOT

redonkulousruntsracing
06-02-2010, 05:44 AM
any ideas why Seth's quad would die out on long (300'+) uphill runs. He had 2 DNF's on Monday at a District race. My driveway is 800' long up hill. I can go down it wide open with no problem. I can go down the road over a 1/4 mile wide open and no problems. I turn around and start heading up the drive way and at about 400' its just like you shut the gas off. If I don't lift it will die right out and quit. If I burp the throttle a few times it will come back to life. After it does die out and quit, I kick it over and it fires right up and runs like nothing happened.

I have tried running up the drive way with the gas cap loose to see if there was a venting issue, but no good. I have replaced all the fuel lines and filter, cleaned the float bowl and it still dies out on uphill runs. Any one have any idea what could be causing this???

You have no idea how disappointed Seth and I were after driving 11 hours from Steel City, PA to Royal Mountain, NY to compete in a double points race just to have his quad crap out on him in both motos. I blew the rear axle out of my truck getting there so had to limp it in front wheel drive.

coffing918
06-02-2010, 06:54 AM
maybe something inside the gas tank????
I had the black thing from under the gas cap fall in my sons tank and kinda did the same thing, would run ok untill he went on a slant, It wont hurt to look.

raptorobbie
06-02-2010, 07:40 AM
same problem on different bike - float was 100% out of adjustment. definitely a seems like a fuel issue - put the front end up on a stand and try to re-create the problem.

T@AFP
06-02-2010, 07:51 AM
One odd thing that has bit us on the ars is the gas cap vent clogs and vapor locks. Some of those "shorty" vents plug up and stops the flow of fuel.

redonkulousruntsracing
06-02-2010, 07:56 AM
Yea we have one of those aluminum vents, thats why I took the cap right off when I was going up the driveway and it still died. It definitly has something to do with the long flat uphill runs. At Steel City there was a long up hill run but there were about 6 big whoops on it so fuel was getting sloshed around as he jumped up the hill, but if that same hill was flat his quad would have crapped out 1/2 way up, guaranteed.:confused:

Any idea the "proper" way to set the float on a Kehin PWK 19mm?? I asked a couple of top dog tuners at the National race and didnt get much of an answer, it must be the float.....IDK.

Logan #34's Dad
06-02-2010, 09:44 AM
I go with the float being out of adjustment. It is running out of gas. Make sure you have a close to full tank of gas as well. Remember, the tanks outlet is in the front so when he accellerates the gas goes to the back of the tank - espeacially uphill.
There are technical numbers to set the float at but....
I just bend the tab to where the floats almost hit the inside top of the carb when the real small spring loaded pin on the fuel stop is compressed. If you go too far then fuel will come out the side drain tubes.
Nice to meet ya by the way - If I was a little rude, don't take it personal - We had a bad weekend.

redonkulousruntsracing
06-02-2010, 09:59 AM
No problem man, as you can see from my other post, we did too. I will try adjusting the float somewhat differently and see what happens.

rider1234
06-02-2010, 02:38 PM
If u take the carb off, take off bowl. attach a fuel line that u can blow into softly attatch to carb fuel inlet, hold the carb up and blow softley into the fuel line and move the float to see when it is actually opening. you will hear or feel the air coming out. If the floats are dropping down with out letting air (Fuel) then you know its running out of fuel. I know its not precise but it works.
Good Luck

selbygirl
06-02-2010, 06:46 PM
i had the same problem it was like ther was to much fuel line travel i ran a fuel line from the tank to the carb and i seen it happen to a other bike but his was the rubber gasket on th cap that fell in the tank seeya tommy

don bassani
06-03-2010, 06:58 AM
You should have let Hetrick bring that quad back to shop.That thing ran like a slug even before stalling out. You need to get your clutch figured out.Steel city is the worse track on circuit for a cvt ,so you really need everthing to be right -jetting-gearing and most importantly CLUTCHING !!! . I am sure if Rich put that apex on his dyno he would have it running properly and clutched properly so your kid can show his stuff !! The float adjustment will probably fix your stalling problem but you have some other mechanical issues as well . JMO

redonkulousruntsracing
06-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Steel City was a complete embarassment for us.

jerkyboy
06-04-2010, 05:38 AM
Im with Bassani on this one. To me the quad sounded like the rollers were a bit heavy. That track is hard to clutch for beacouse of all the uphill stuff. Hope you get it figured out.

redonkulousruntsracing
06-04-2010, 07:04 AM
I had 2.5g rollers in it.

STOCKRACING917
06-04-2010, 07:15 AM
Sick we feel your pain. Similar issues got us a non qualifier last weekend. Broke axle in moto 1 and production sr brought us limping in... lcq in cvt was horrible and T was heartbroken at not qualifying in what he considers his main class !! But after much hairpulling, few choice bad words and the wife kicking the crap outta that thing lol. we finally got it to run on sunday. Bassani is right, That track is hard to dial in on a cvt. Those 70 guys are looking great out there ppl. We enjoy watching those guys. Good luck to everyone in Millville !!

jerkyboy
06-04-2010, 07:39 AM
2.5 rollers, you must be running a very soft spring. We had issues of our oun and I thought about pushing it into the fire Saturday night. I never got it to run great but good enough to run up front.

redonkulousruntsracing
06-04-2010, 07:55 AM
red Malossi. Went through 4 of them, was using my usual 3g roller set up, but it would eat a spring in 2 laps. 4 out of the 6 tracks we race in D3 are as bad if not a little worse than Steel City, so those hills were nothing surprising to us. I put the 2.5's in and it would last a little longer. My son was so discouraged that after the 2 last place finishes at our D3 race on monday, that HE made a for sale sign for his quad.
That kid needs a rocket under him not a turd.

jerkyboy
06-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Does the red spring say molossi? Ive seen some guys selling red springs saying they were the same as a molossi but would only last 1 race. We run a red molossi in one of our 70 and can run it for 5 or 6 motos thats why Im asking.

redonkulousruntsracing
06-04-2010, 06:28 PM
was supposed to be a Malossi but I never had one that said anything on it. Any they were loose in a box, so who knows