View Full Version : CRF450R timing chain question

CJM
06-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Just making sure I didnt get the wrong one, I ordered an 02 crf450r chain according to the part number (I double checked it), but it seems like its to wide to properly sit on the gears, the old chain stock is not nearly as wide. It fits and all, but IDK seems like it doesnt sit right.

Is this normal, I dont need to break down?

Honda#4
06-01-2010, 08:21 PM
The CRF chains are wider and fit so your good to go.

CJM
06-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks man, was just wondering cause it kinda fit weird. Glad to know its ok.

Honda#4
06-01-2010, 08:36 PM
No problem, if its a big problem post a pic of it so we can see if anything is wrong.

CJM
06-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Not really much I can take a pic of since I put the side cover back on.

It just didnt seem to sit as easy on the gear b/c its a bit wider.

Ill snap a pic tomorrow of the chain, its def the same length I measured to the other one when I put it on.

NacsMXer
06-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Not really much I can take a pic of since I put the side cover back on.

It just didnt seem to sit as easy on the gear b/c its a bit wider.

Ill snap a pic tomorrow of the chain, its def the same length I measured to the other one when I put it on.

Here's a pic of the CRF chain vs. the stock TRX. The extra width/plates is what adds strength over the stocker. It is just wide enough to fit in the guides. I run the 2002 chain as well.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/1548/8da40cba0918091727.jpg (http://img36.imageshack.us/i/8da40cba0918091727.jpg/)

CJM
06-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Yea thats exactly what I observed Nacs, it just seemed it didnt want to sit on the lowerend gears properly is all.

TRXRacer1
06-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Yea thats exactly what I observed Nacs, it just seemed it didnt want to sit on the lowerend gears properly is all. That is a little concerning. Was your lower gear in good shape? I don't remember anything funny when I mounted mine.

CJM
06-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
That is a little concerning. Was your lower gear in good shape? I don't remember anything funny when I mounted mine.

It seemed to be, the other chain fit on it fine.

The CRF chain almost wants to just sit on multiple different areas on the gear. Like I can have it on there on one section width of the CRF chain and then move it slightly a bit. IDK..

I may take it apart tomorrow and take pics if I get a chance.

For now heres a pic from a parts fiche, my gear looks exactly like the one I circled. Am I putting the chain on the wrong gear???

rt20ps
06-02-2010, 08:34 PM
You have the right gear. Your gear may be worn. Was the old chain really stretched??

BTW the CRF timing chains are all the same. You don't need to worry about the year. I believe 2002-2008.

CJM
06-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Chain wasnt stretched, I compared mine to the crf one and its the same size.

Maybe my gears worn? IDK seemed fine to me. Just seemed like the CRF chain didnt fit on the gear as well as the old chain did. It does turn fine when I turn everything by hand and all if I keep tension on the chain itself (topend is apart atm).

36 bucks get me a new gear I guess.

IDK anymore, it just seems to wide to properly fit on the gears is perhaps the only way to describe it.

CJM
06-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Looked at it again today, its sitting on there fine but it just seems like its to wide for the gear itself.

Im sure its fine tho, just my paranoid of making sure everything is PERFECT OCD disorder taking over I bet lol.