PDA

View Full Version : How do I install a axel carrier,with a grease zerk?

Narly R
01-31-2003, 11:26 PM
How do I install,( well I know how to put it in) but theres a bolton the back of my swingarm,do I take it out?Is that where the grease zerk goes or do I hafe to drill a hole?Its on a 86 250r.Thanks!:rolleyes:

JOEX
01-31-2003, 11:30 PM
I'm not sure on the 250r but on the 400 just put it in...you don't drill any holes...You need to remove it to regrease it. What carrier did you get?

Joe

Narly R
01-31-2003, 11:55 PM
I got a Lonestar 319 sumthin sumthin carrier. Why would I hafe to re-move it to grease it when it has a grease zerk? It should stick out in the back if I re-move that bolt. Im pretty shure any ways.

JOEX
02-01-2003, 12:18 AM
I don't know much about the 250r so I should just shut up lol! But does the hole line up with the zerk? I don't think drilling the swingarm is a good thing. Removing the carrier to grease it is aparently normal, unfortunatly. Some carriers have the zerk on the end so you don't have to remove it. But you shouldn't have to grease it more than once or twice a year unless you ride in harsh conditions.

Joe

RIDER11X
02-01-2003, 01:21 AM
I've seen people drill a hole slightly larger than the grease gun nozzle through the center of their carrier tube so they can spin the carrier to align the zerk with the hole and grease it while in the swingarm.

Don't know if this is a good idea or not, as it may cause a weak spot.:eek:

Narly R
02-01-2003, 11:27 AM
Thanks guys. I shouldnt hafe to remove it to grease it. I dont think Ill hafe to drill a hole neither!?:cool:

Narly R
02-01-2003, 07:26 PM
I got it in today, without hafing to do any drilling! But my zerk dont stick out, o-well.:blah