PDA

View Full Version : Ice Racing Tips? 4 Lembo Lake NY

kc 300EX
01-31-2003, 10:55 PM
Well, this is the last weekend for the flat track racing Ive been doing, and who wants to stop racing right?

Well, February 9th me and my cousin are looking into getting into a couple Ice races at Lembo Lake( www.atvny.com )
There was an exriders ride there last year.

Anyways, it looks like a lot of fun, but Ive never really ridden on the ice before, besides the occasional small pond, and Im really looking for some input from guys who have done it.
I have 500 studs and I definetly plan on studding my tires, the fronts I dont think will be a problem for me, but as for the rear Im kind of stuck. I have a set of Holeshot XCTs, they are pretty bald, maybe 1/8 of an inch of tread. I would rather stud these because they are junk to me, but Im worried they wont hold air. My studs are 7/16" Do you think if I filled the tires with Slime, or fix-a-flat they would be ok?? I also have a set of fairly new maxxis Sur Traks I could stud. The studs wouldnt make it through the tread so I wouldnt have to worry about losing air, but Id rather not ruin these tires by filling them with studs, and Im thinking the Holeshots would be better for the racing anyways, stiffer sideways, lower profile, not rounded.

As far as other set up, I dont have a full TT setup like some guys do, but I will probably use my stock 300EX shocks with my 250R a-arms and upper mount, so that should lower my quad considerably.

Any help you guys can give me on the rear tires would really help, little over a week til the race. Thanx

Heres a pic from last week on the lake

tants
02-01-2003, 06:53 PM
kc ill come up and watch... mabe even pit for u guys...
as long as u suply the transportation and the hot coco :D

Ryan
02-01-2003, 07:48 PM
kc, Where is that located? I'd like to check that out.

Well on the tires.... The studs in the XCT's will hold up good. They are 6 ply tires so they will have to be really bald to start having problems with them. If you do find that your air is leaking, use the slime. Its a alot better then fix-a-flat and it should work fine. I think the slime/fix-a-flat actually rotts out the rims after awhile. I wouldn't worry about it though.

tants
02-01-2003, 09:17 PM
casey my friend who lives around here will be racing his 2002 yellow 400ex, my R aint togather yet so im just gonna come pit for him. im sure ill see you and greg so ill deff say hi.

GNCC#829
02-02-2003, 07:33 PM
Saturday, I went and watched a few people racing on ice. Some of them had a tie down from their swingarm to their rear grab bar. They were trying to keep their suspention compressed.

4Wheels
02-05-2003, 02:44 PM
YOU KNOW WHAT TIME THE RACE IS GONNA BE AT?
I MIGHT GO WATCH CAUSE MY 400 IS STILL GETTING FINSIHED ON THE REBUILD
jz

kc 300EX
02-05-2003, 04:33 PM
START:
Gates open at 10:00am. Practice at 11:00am. Heat Races start at 12:30pm.

6 bucks to watch

30 bucks per class for racers, need AMA card

loganB
02-05-2003, 08:50 PM
Buy tubs to put in the tires I know that some of the ice racers do it here.:)

speedy400
02-07-2003, 10:08 AM
I got 2nd with my 400 a couple weeks ago, the guy that beat me beat me b 1/10ths of a mph..:confused2 :devil out of like 30 poeple. tips-
-remove plastic and seat, you can get lower center of gravity, sit lower and less drag-put bigger jets in and remove airbox lid, sit right behind the airbox
-take straps and suck down the shocks
-have tires as full as possible, put as many studs or skrews in as you can, not many in the front.- i used realators put about 19 screws in each lug, might wanna use a lighter tire, it worked good though
- have fun, do your best

kc 300EX
02-08-2003, 11:50 PM
Well, no ice racing for me this weekend, but I did do some riding on the ice. Me and my cousins all went to GreenWood Lake today to do some riding. With the 7 inches of fresh snow on the ice, the studs werent doing too much. Good news is most of them held tight, didnt lose a lot. It was very hard to get traction in the snow, but once you wore in a track down to the ice I could even do wheelies, so the studs do what theyre supposed to.

Sad news today, a snowmobiler on the lake had a very bad accident.....people have bubbles by their docks, to keep the water from freezing while their boats are in, well, at the edge of the bubbler, it creates a funny bump in the ice, a guy hit this bump at about 110 on his sled and apparently did barrel rolls down the ice, with the machine landing on him and breaking his neck......he didnt survive I was told:(

QuadRacer041
02-09-2003, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by kc 300EX
Well, no ice racing for me this weekend, but I did do some riding on the ice. Me and my cousins all went to GreenWood Lake today to do some riding. With the 7 inches of fresh snow on the ice, the studs werent doing too much. Good news is most of them held tight, didnt lose a lot. It was very hard to get traction in the snow, but once you wore in a track down to the ice I could even do wheelies, so the studs do what theyre supposed to.

Sad news today, a snowmobiler on the lake had a very bad accident.....people have bubbles by their docks, to keep the water from freezing while their boats are in, well, at the edge of the bubbler, it creates a funny bump in the ice, a guy hit this bump at about 110 on his sled and apparently did barrel rolls down the ice, with the machine landing on him and breaking his neck......he didnt survive I was told:(

were is lembo lake??? i am in nj is it close to waledon or diamond back?

Ralph
02-09-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by quad041
were is lembo lake??? i am in nj is it close to waledon or diamond back?

its 10 minutes from diamodback lou, i dont know how you drive ther but when u go down that mad long road to diamondback, u get to an intersection. on the left across the street u will see a house that looks like is has a door in its roof(missing balcony or something) u take a right there and take that road till u get to their sign and then u take a left.

so bassically get off the highway. ex. 17 i think it was. and then just go the regular way to diamondback and lool for the house with the door in its roof, and take a left... its actualy like 10 minutes closer that diamondback...