PDA

View Full Version : Viruses

Pappy
06-01-2010, 07:28 AM
I made a request of the site Admin to find out why so many people were saying they were being hit by a virus on the site.

He made a written request to the server company to investigate and they scanned thentire site and server and found nothing.

Glad to hear that, but its a reminder for everyone to keep their anti-virus updated.....

slightlybent47
06-01-2010, 11:07 AM
I don’t know why but I seem to get hit every time I visit the site.

quadbod
06-01-2010, 11:19 AM
This site doesn't have any viruses! I have never got anything from this site, not even an alert or advisory from my antivirus software. No spyware, malware or worms!!

Pappy
06-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by quadbod
This site doesn't have any viruses! I have never got anything from this site, not even an alert or advisory from my antivirus software. No spyware, malware or worms!!

It is possible im told, that banners and or goggle could be the culprit. There is a few of us that got nailed in the past few weeks but it appears it is not actually stemming from the website itself.

juice420
06-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Guess it all depends how good your anti-virus software is.

quadbod
06-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
It is possible im told, that banners and or goggle could be the culprit. There is a few of us that got nailed in the past few weeks but it appears it is not actually stemming from the website itself.

Definitely possible it could be scripts or code in the banners.

Dan_Guetter
06-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Solution = Mac

Ralph
06-01-2010, 01:15 PM
As far as a possible infection from the website, the only real threat is a Google banner ad which slips though. These are usually taken care of very quickly and the issue is out of our hands.

-----------------------------------------

Buying a mac is a temporary solution. As soon as enough macs out there that it becomes lucrative to write exploits for them then they will be in the same boat.

For everyone else:

Download AVG Free edition
Scan and fix

Download Spybot search and destroy
scan and fix
immunize computer

this will take care of the majority of what you will run into. If something keeps coming back, boot your computer into safe mode and run Search and Destroy again.

quadbod
06-01-2010, 01:42 PM
I was gong to say; if you know and trust the advertisers on the site you should have no problems with script but if they are slipping through from google....

Guy400
06-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Dan_Guetter
Solution = Mac Yes. The 27" iMac i7 solved any virus problems for me :D

Sjorge450R
06-01-2010, 02:54 PM
i have been coming on here for years......no problems.

you guys need to just stay off the naughty sites.

Ellingsoc26
06-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Never had a problem but i run google chrome with adblock so the ads dont get me! haha firefox works as well too Internet Exploder is the cause most of the time

Dan_Guetter
06-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge450R
i have been coming on here for years......no problems.

you guys need to just stay off the naughty sites.

Been PC and virus free for 4 years now. Feels good flying on the same computer with absolutely no problems and all the naughty sites imaginable....haha jk but you get the idea.

PhilMoore
06-01-2010, 03:49 PM
What is the message you are getting?

What antivirus to you use?

It could be malware you got from another site, that is not triggered until you hit a banner ad or other link on this site.

It could be a false positive from a banner ad or a link in somebody's signature.

It is most helpful if you can say what you did when the message popped up. Does it happen as soon as you open the site? Or, does it only happen on a certain thread(s).

fastredrider44
06-01-2010, 03:57 PM
I only had it happen to me a few times, but it would do it when I went to the site using http://www.exriders.com/vbb/ instead of going to the home site. I run avast on my computer at home.

slightlybent47
06-02-2010, 10:43 PM
I found something by accident that may be why I have been getting hit.
In my windows facts viewer was a whole bunch of pictures and banners and adds, still shots from vids, little pictures of icons, all kinds of things. I am assuming that these are some kind of tags from sites I have been to. So I have deleted all of them and I’m hopping that helps.