PDA

View Full Version : Oils Mixing

450R NOOB
06-01-2010, 05:16 AM
Tested it today and after 5 minutes of riding my engine oil sight glass was full and no tranny oil would come out of the check hole so I'm assuming it's mixing oils. Do I just take the clutch out and change the transmission side crankshaft seal? What other seals and gaskets will I need to get it back together right?

Scro
06-01-2010, 06:34 AM
You will also need the crankcase cover gasket.

450R NOOB
06-01-2010, 02:02 PM
I found another thread and it says I need: right side crank seal, engine balancer seal, engine balancer bearings, right and left side gasket and O ring for behind the water pump that goes around the case dowel. I'm having trouble finding these on service honda. If any one has the serial numbers for this stuff I would really appreciate it. I also can't find anything in the manual about how to do it, so if any one could tell me what section to look in I would appreciate that also.

Scro
06-01-2010, 02:48 PM
The most common cause of transmission oil transferring to the engine side is the crank seal. In order to change this seal, you will only need the right side crankcase cover gasket, and the crank seal. The other stuff listed is for replacing the O-ring behind the water pump, and the balancer seal. These can cause the oil to transfer, but are fairly rare.

There isn't a section in the manual that specifically tells you how to change the crank seal. Look in the section that tells you how to replace the clutch basket. That section will tell you how to remove the crankcase cover, the clutch basket, and the gear from the output shaft. From there, you should be able to pick the old seal from around the crank shaft, and install the new.

450R NOOB
06-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Wow. Thanks a lot. Hopefully I will have it going by the weekend.

450R NOOB
06-23-2010, 05:05 PM
It has taken this long to get the seal and gasket from the machanic we know and also the mechanic I won't be going back to. The seal isn't the same as the one I took out? Is the seal I ordered wrong or did I remove the wrong seal? The one we ordered was part # 31 under crankcase if I remember right. Does anyone know the part # and section for the part I took off?

450R NOOB
06-23-2010, 05:10 PM
ordered part: 91202-hp1-671

Scro
06-23-2010, 06:49 PM
I would need to see a picture that isn't as close, but it looks like you took the seal off the mainshaft of transmission. The seal you are replacing is on the output shaft of the crank.

450R NOOB
06-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Yep, your right. I just stood back for a second and saw that the shaft didn't line up with the cylinder and all that. I think I found how to take it off. We'll see. So is the part I pointed at in blue the part I need to take off? The one in red is what I already took off.

450R NOOB
06-26-2010, 01:42 PM
can't find the part I removed on service honda. Is it a part or the bearing seal? If it's just the seal how can I replace it?

eastside 400
06-26-2010, 04:45 PM
you actually took the cover on the bearing off, it is part of the bearing and shouldnt be removed. you can try to get it back on but make sure it fits on tight

450R NOOB
06-27-2010, 01:44 PM
I meesed it up taking it off. I'll order a new bearing and get the seal off of it. Thanks.