PDA

View Full Version : stainless brake lines

renegade_400ex
01-31-2003, 10:31 PM
is it possible or has anyone done this? my friends dad suggested that i may be able to use those stainless steel lines that he bought for a dishwasher for my quad's brakelines. he said he can order smaller diameter tubes. would i be able to do this? would larger diameter tubes help braking or make it mushy. what do u all think good or bad?

01-31-2003, 10:35 PM
it would probably alot of work. you can just buy them

JOEX
01-31-2003, 10:44 PM
I don't know much about this yet but a couple things i'd be concerned about are pressure ratings and the fittings on the ends.

Joe

renegade_400ex
01-31-2003, 10:49 PM
im thinking it would work if i got some with roughly the same diameter as stock? the fittings i dont know about yet... maybe i should try it....lol

JOEX
01-31-2003, 10:59 PM
Another thing to consider is can the dishwasher tubing handle the corrosivness of the break fluid? If everything works and you save some $$, great! Let us know.

Joe

Predator36
02-01-2003, 05:02 AM
First thing to check as already mentioned is if the tubing will take the pressure. As for size - most brake lines are constructed from #3 hose. This is a normal size in motorsports not just for quads. I have seen some #4 on a few Harleys. The latest is #2 hose but fittings are still hard to get and very expensive. It is also possible to get screw on compression fittings for the #3 hose although it is a safety issue and not wise to do unless your are very carefull. I make all my own brake lines - not to save money, but so I can get the length I want when I want it. I am very impatiant when it comes to my toys.

woods_racer440
02-01-2003, 10:57 PM
Are you serious, I don't think that I would try this at all. It would take an eternity to bleed all the air out of the lines. Just go and buy some new fast line brake lines. there not that high. that's what i use and i love them. good luck man.

JOEX
02-01-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by woods_racer440
Are you serious, I don't think that I would try this at all. It would take an eternity to bleed all the air out of the lines. Just go and buy some new fast line brake lines. there not that high. that's what i use and i love them. good luck man.

Why would it take longer to bleed?

Joe

DEAL
02-01-2003, 11:17 PM
Where in Canada r u from?

Quadfather
02-02-2003, 10:37 AM
It should work fine. I am currently using a broomstick for a rear axle, and it works better than my friends high dollar RPM Dominator axle.

renegade_400ex
02-02-2003, 06:06 PM
it wouldnt take any longer to bleed then if i installed other bought brake lines. im from edmonton alberta

JOEX
02-02-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Quadfather
It should work fine. I am currently using a broomstick for a rear axle, and it works better than my friends high dollar RPM Dominator axle.

OOoohhh....looks like a witch hunt brewing........:devil

Joe

Predator36
02-03-2003, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by renegade_400ex
it wouldnt take any longer to bleed then if i installed other bought brake lines. im from edmonton alberta

I have found that with brake lines that have a smaller inside diameter it can be difficult to get the fluid thru the first time. I have two redneck methods that help me solve this.

1. I put my mouth over the master cylinder and blow the fluid thru the lines (yuk)
2. I prefer to use a long piece of 3/16 inch vinyl tubing from any hardware store and putting one end on a open bleeder - suck the fluid thru. With a long piece you can see the fluid before it gets to your mouth.