PDA

View Full Version : Which steering stabilizer should i go with...

reptikes
05-31-2010, 05:41 PM
I don't have $400-$600 for a steering stabilizer, so im going with a Gibson or Streamline. Or anything better and cheap!

I'd like to get one thats rebuildable. Any input and/or experience with either one or another cheap and good stabilizer would be helpful...thanks

madskrillz2
05-31-2010, 06:02 PM
From what I hear you can't go wrong with one of these. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Billet-CCP-LTR450-Steering-Stabilizer-GPR-Elka-LTR-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f00052842QQitemZ27058 3277634QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
I've heard they're just as good as a precision.

reptikes
05-31-2010, 06:08 PM
Theres one for a YFZ on Ebay. I cant find one for a TRX. Thats really the one i want!

mjc597
05-31-2010, 06:21 PM
i really liked my PEP stick stabilizer that was on my 450r..works great and is rebuildable..not sure on the price of one brand new..got mine off the forum.but it's in great shape and holds up very well !!

Canadian144
05-31-2010, 06:38 PM
+1 on the silver CCP ones. They are somewhat of a median between the stick stabilizers and the Precisions. Most guys on the LTR450 forums have a CCP, whether it's for racing, dunning, or trail riding. Supposedly it's much much better than a stick type, and almost as good as a precision for much less $$.

I don't know if they sell any Honda ones on ebay... there is a guy on a specific LTR450 forum that sells them for $185 shipped I think, and I'm pretty sure I remember him saying that they have one for all quads.

I'll send you a PM...

walker054
06-01-2010, 02:32 PM
I have PEP stabilizers on all my quads, one 2001, one 2004 no problems yet, and not been rebuilt yet

reptikes
06-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Canadian144
+1 on the silver CCP ones. They are somewhat of a median between the stick stabilizers and the Precisions. Most guys on the LTR450 forums have a CCP, whether it's for racing, dunning, or trail riding. Supposedly it's much much better than a stick type, and almost as good as a precision for much less $$.

I don't know if they sell any Honda ones on ebay... there is a guy on a specific LTR450 forum that sells them for $185 shipped I think, and I'm pretty sure I remember him saying that they have one for all quads.

I'll send you a PM...

Hey, thanks alot. I sent you a PM.

tri5ron
06-01-2010, 06:14 PM
over 20 pages of reading, from many of us who use the CCP...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=349366&highlight=stabilizer

reptikes
06-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
over 20 pages of reading, from many of us who use the CCP...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=349366&highlight=stabilizer

Now that you've had one for sometime... how has it held up and is it rebuildable?

tri5ron
06-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by reptikes
Now that you've had one for sometime... how has it held up and is it rebuildable? These answers are in the posted link, and repeated many times by everyone who owns one.

But to expand on your question, here ya go,...

It still works like the day it came out of the box, and I still love it.
as far as "Bang for your Buck" goes, I still say it can't be beat.

The main difference between a CCP compared to a Elka or Precision, is that the CCP dampens in both directions of travel, including back to straight,
Whereas the Elka or Precision dampens from straight to each full lock, but do not dampen from lock to center.

OK, That might be nice for a 2 wheeler, but I feel that for a Quad, it is unnecessary, as well as it is about $350+ Cheaper than Elka or Precision.
So again, when measured in "Bang for your Buck"....
It wins hands down.

Bottom line is, the quad goes where you point it, and holds a line with impressive accuracy, Arm pump is a thing of the past, and it is reasonably priced.

It is FAR better than a good "Stick" style, can't get bent in a rollover, looks much better, and is only about $50 more than even the cheapest stick styles.

Add it to a good pair of front shocks, and they are the best thing you can do to improve you quads handeling, and your skill level of riding.

and yes it is rebuildable.

madskrillz2
06-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
These answers are in the posted link, and repeated many times by everyone who owns one.

But to expand on your question, here ya go,...

It still works like the day it came out of the box, and I still love it.
as far as "Bang for your Buck" goes, I still say it can't be beat.

The main difference between a CCP compared to a Elka or Precision, is that the CCP dampens in both directions of travel, including back to straight,
Whereas the Elka or Precision dampens from straight to each full lock, but do not dampen from lock to center.

OK, That might be nice for a 2 wheeler, but I feel that for a Quad, it is unnecessary, as well as it is about $350+ Cheaper than Elka or Precision.
So again, when measured in "Bang for your Buck"....
It wins hands down.

Bottom line is, the quad goes where you point it, and holds a line with impressive accuracy, Arm pump is a thing of the past, and it is reasonably priced.

It is FAR better than a good "Stick" style, can't get bent in a rollover, looks much better, and is only about $50 more than even the cheapest stick styles.

Add it to a good pair of front shocks, and they are the best thing you can do to improve you quads handeling, and your skill level of riding.

and yes it is rebuildable.

Totally agree. Unfortunately I didn't come across them until after I bought a Precision. If it helps I would have bought one over a Precision had I seen it before I bought one.