PDA

View Full Version : Engine size and builder advice ...

ShawnNY
05-31-2010, 09:50 AM
Hows it going, glad I found this site when I did, Ive come across a ton of good info thats helped me with my build. I purchased a 86' in Nov and had it PC'd and been buying all my parts little by little since then. I should have everything by the end of next week when the swing and a-arms come. Last is the motor. Now I was going to go with a esr 370 pv but after reading about inflated engine cc's numbers and bad port jobs I think Im going to use some place else.

This bike isnt going to be an everyday, I have a stock 450x for that so I want to go big, but hopefully be pretty reliable. Recently guys have spoke about Neil@C-leigh, FTZ, ect. Im thinking the FTZ 400 pilot would be cool but not sure about its reliabilty.

Who did you use, who would you use, just want to get some feedback from you before I make a decision.

Thanks, its appreciated.

cdrookie
05-31-2010, 10:58 AM
i'm assuming you're in NY:confused: so would this be a trail machine:confused:

if it's just a trail machine a 330 esr or pro-x with neil's porting would be reliable, easy, and pretty cheap compared to the other exotics, like the puma, polanda, and pilot. neil's prices are great, fast service, and can make power.

ShawnNY
05-31-2010, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by cdrookie
i'm assuming you're in NY:confused: so would this be a trail machine:confused:

if it's just a trail machine a 330 esr or pro-x with neil's porting would be reliable, easy, and pretty cheap compared to the other exotics, like the puma, polanda, and pilot. neil's prices are great, fast service, and can make power. No I have a 450x for the trails. This would be for sand mines (hill climbing) and Glamis trips. I am thinking with you about an esr kit to another builder. Would that be a bolt on 330 or does he do the machining to the cases also? Why wouldnt you want to go for a 370?

Oh ya, NY does suck when it comes to riding, was chased 2 weeks ago and rode yesterday looking over my shoulder the whole time :(.

cdrookie
05-31-2010, 02:45 PM
once you start getting 350cc and above reliability starts getting sacrificed. i'm sure there are those that will argue with that point, so it's just my opinion.

bolt on cylinders vs bored cases have been discussed many times on here.

i'm sure neil could get the cases bored, but any machine shop should be able to do it. i've heard of some people doing it themselves with a burr grinder, it's just clearance...

ShawnNY
05-31-2010, 04:24 PM
Cool thanks for the reply.

Anyone else?

atv fan 28
05-31-2010, 05:13 PM
Titan Racing or C-Leigh, cant go wrong either way!

ShawnNY
05-31-2010, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by atv fan 28
Titan Racing or C-Leigh, cant go wrong either way! I checked out Titan when you posted up there website, seemed like they were geared more towards shee's or was it me?? Are they strictly drag also? Seemed most of what they showed were drag bikes.

atv fan 28
05-31-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by ShawnNY
I checked out Titan when you posted up there website, seemed like they were geared more towards shee's or was it me?? Are they strictly drag also? Seemed most of what they showed were drag bikes. Yes, he does alot of Banshee motors. But if you ask him whats his favorite motor he will say 250R!! He can build you any kind of R motor you want, from mild to wild, just depends on how deep your pockets are!:macho Im sure they will be a few people chime in and vouch for Tims work.:D

pdxbigfoot
05-31-2010, 07:18 PM
LED Performance.
He will make it rip but be prepared to shell out some serious coin.
In the tattoo industry we have a saying..."good tattoos are not cheap and cheap tattoos are not good"
Same goes for port work and a overall well working engine package.

Saleenster
05-31-2010, 09:23 PM
370 is more based for a drag set up. I had a 370, and by no means would I ever own another.

If your wanting it for hill racing, then go big, otherwise you will not be happy if your a competitive person.

sikadelic
06-01-2010, 10:00 AM
x2 on LED performance . Maybe not the cheapest but he can build it to suit exactly what you want to do. I have a 370 pv from him and im very, very happy with it. 65hp on the dyno. I have no problem climbing any of the dunes here in oregon, all day long.....

86 Quad R
06-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by atv fan 28
Titan Racing or C-Leigh, cant go wrong either way!

i'll second that...... i've got/rand either of their engines and have been very pleased with them.