PDA

View Full Version : discontinued parts?

wild250rman
05-31-2010, 08:31 AM
Was told by a couple honda oem parts dealers that if there is a big enough demand for a discontinued part "100 or more orders", that they would make a production run of that part, the reason I asked this question is in the mid 90's they stopped making the 250r fenders so I bought a few sets then in the early 2000's they made them again for a while. If this is so fenders are always in demand and there is starting to be a renewed interest in the pro comp 301 rear tires and the 101 fronts if this is so and if there is a big enough demand would Honda make these and other parts again for a limited production run or do they only do it once. With XC racing as popular as it is now you would think Honda would at least make the tires again what kind of demand for these parts and others are there? let's let Honda know what we need and there is enough of us who want and need these parts!

250Renvy
05-31-2010, 10:57 AM
I guess it all depends on how that part is made.

I have no confirmation, just hearsay which some have disputed - although I'm not sure how that the molds for the plastic were damaged and to fix it is in the range of $100K+ and to make a new one is in the $250-$500K range, so if that's the case, ultimately no matter how many orders they get, they will just not invest in that part.

Again, something like cases and transmission gears need to be cast. Sometimes the company producing the castings goes out of business and they have to source a new supplier. New molds then cost a lot as well so that may be another part that doesn't get reinvested in.

Tires, I would think are another story, since HONDA doesn't officially make tires, they get them from other companies under their name. So it would seem it would be best to go directly to the manufacturer - or get them copied if you can produce something to copy to a smaller manufacturer.

Rich250RRacer
05-31-2010, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
I guess it all depends on how that part is made.

I have no confirmation, just hearsay which some have disputed - although I'm not sure how that the molds for the plastic were damaged and to fix it is in the range of $100K+ and to make a new one is in the $250-$500K range, so if that's the case, ultimately no matter how many orders they get, they will just not invest in that part.

Again, something like cases and transmission gears need to be cast. Sometimes the company producing the castings goes out of business and they have to source a new supplier. New molds then cost a lot as well so that may be another part that doesn't get reinvested in.

Tires, I would think are another story, since HONDA doesn't officially make tires, they get them from other companies under their name. So it would seem it would be best to go directly to the manufacturer - or get them copied if you can produce something to copy to a smaller manufacturer.

I believe Honda owned or still owns Ohtsu, which would explain why they never showed up on any other brand of ATV. But I also believe Ohtsu got out of the ATV tire business, which is why Hondas are now equipped with Dunlops.

wild250rman
05-31-2010, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
I beleive Honda owned or still owns Ohtsu, which would explain why they never made it to any other brand of ATV. But I also believe Ohtsu got out of the ATV tire business, which is why Hondas are now equipped with Dunlops.
aren't the mr501 rears and mr101 fronts on the 400ex Ohtsu's? or did they change to a different tire this year?

dynofox
06-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
I believe Honda owned or still owns Ohtsu, which would explain why they never showed up on any other brand of ATV. But I also believe Ohtsu got out of the ATV tire business, which is why Hondas are now equipped with Dunlops.

If I remember right the DS 650 actually came stock with the Ohtsu radials for a few years.