PDA

View Full Version : clutch slipping at hi rpm

double d 1
05-31-2010, 05:59 AM
friend has two 400ex, i think 01, and 03 model's. it seems like they are always slipping at hi rpm, cant really tell about 1st or 2nd gear but 3,4,5 you can tell they are slipping. he has put new clutch's in them and they wprk for a while,then they start slipping. He is using the gold honda oil semi synthetic. Is this oil ok to use? thanks for any help

bherriman
05-31-2010, 09:02 AM
Its slipping in 3rd-5th because they are taller gears and it takes more power to turn them. If he has been putting new clutches in and it keeps doing it my guess is that your clutch is adjusted wrong not letting the clutch fully engage when you release the lever causing the fibers to burn up.

double d 1
05-31-2010, 10:08 AM
the clutch he is removing looks good, i thought maybe it was the synthetic oil he is using.

bherriman
05-31-2010, 01:57 PM
you say the gold bottle honda? which is hp4 and I've always ran that in mine..HP4 without moly.. If the clutch is slipping its no good. also the last fiber plate goes into the shallow grooves not the deep drooves the rest of the fibers and plates fit into, again i would be that its not adjusted right and not allowing the clutch to not fully engage and make is slip.

CJM
05-31-2010, 04:09 PM
The last plate goes into the more shallow grooves? Not saying you dunno but are you sure? I just did my clutch b/c I redid the timing chain and put the last plate with the rest of them.

gojk
05-31-2010, 05:50 PM
It goes in the shallow groove for sure.

gojk
05-31-2010, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by double d 1
friend has two 400ex, i think 01, and 03 model's. it seems like they are always slipping at hi rpm, cant really tell about 1st or 2nd gear but 3,4,5 you can tell they are slipping. he has put new clutch's in them and they wprk for a while,then they start slipping. He is using the gold honda oil semi synthetic. Is this oil ok to use? thanks for any help

Does he have motor work done?

I would look at the clutch basket, if it is grooved, you will have all kinds of clutch trouble.

Is it hard to get into neutral? Does it grind between gears often?

bherriman
05-31-2010, 05:52 PM
Well I wasn't 100% on this at first but the first time I took my clutch out it was like that and it confused the heck outta me so I went out and got a repair manual and it shows clear as day a picture of the last plate going in the "shallow grooves" and then tells you to do just that in the caption under the picture. Currently my clutch is set up like this and it functions perfect.

CJM
05-31-2010, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by gojk
It goes in the shallow groove for sure.