PDA

View Full Version : Fan switch help---need to race

ccdhowell
05-30-2010, 09:12 PM
My daughter races an '04 DVX400 in a local XC series. Last race her fan wasn't working, the engine got pretty hot and I stopped her during her second lap afraid she was gonna cook the engine.

Today I found a wire broken loose on the top switch on the right side of the radiator. Problem is, I am going out of town for work all week and she has a race next weekend. I can't get to the shop to get a replacement and put it on before her race. Is there any quick way I can wire around that switch, maybe to keep the fan running all the time the key is on? That would be better than not running at all.

Thanks

sd1
05-30-2010, 11:44 PM
I know your really busy but your better off either repairing the wire or replacing the switch.....try bike bandit for the switch and they could have to your door by friday I would think...might want to call them and double check......make sure you run a reall good quality coolant also to protect the engine in case this happens again...like evans coolant......just my 2 cents...

ccdhowell
05-31-2010, 08:10 AM
I actually already ordered one from Bike Bandit, but considering the holiday I thought it best to have a back-up plan just in case it doesn't make it in to me.

I run Elf Moto coolant, works great so far, never heard of Evans coolant, I'll check it out.

sd1
05-31-2010, 11:36 AM
evans is a waterless coolant that nascar uses a lot becasue it has a very high boil temp....since your daughter running a XC race i'm assuming its at least a 1 hour race so it would hot be a good idea to have the fan running the whole race..not good for the engine or the fan.....i'm assuming your running some good aftermarket air scoops also..if not that a definite must.....good luck

danthrop
05-31-2010, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by sd1
evans is a waterless coolant that nascar uses a lot becasue it has a very high boil temp....since your daughter running a XC race i'm assuming its at least a 1 hour race so it would hot be a good idea to have the fan running the whole race..not good for the engine or the fan.....i'm assuming your running some good aftermarket air scoops also..if not that a definite must.....good luck

im confused why you say that having the fan running the whole time is not good for the engine or the fan. i could see the fan, just for the fact it will burn up quicker running non stop, but why bad for the engine? that just doesnt make sense to me(maybe something i dont know about quads)

i have an s10 with a built v8 and run no thermostat and have 2 electric fans on from the moment i turn the key over. i would think it applies to quads the same as cars, but the cooler the better.

help me understand if im wrong. just wondering

Scro
05-31-2010, 08:08 PM
The only way I could see it hurting the engine is it not allowing it to reach engine operating temps before riding. Even then it prevent the engine from warming up, just may take little longer. I can't think of a reason it would be bad, once it it reaches operating temps.

sd1
05-31-2010, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by danthrop
im confused why you say that having the fan running the whole time is not good for the engine or the fan. i could see the fan, just for the fact it will burn up quicker running non stop, but why bad for the engine? that just doesnt make sense to me(maybe something i dont know about quads)

i have an s10 with a built v8 and run no thermostat and have 2 electric fans on from the moment i turn the key over. i would think it applies to quads the same as cars, but the cooler the better.

help me understand if im wrong. just wondering

Well for one your really going to be taxing the stator and the battery..the Z electrical system just wasn't made for running the fan all the time......as far as hp loss what type of mods are you running on it right now?

danthrop
06-01-2010, 10:24 AM
im just running a pipe and k&n filer(prolly all I will ever run) I was just wondering because mine gets super hot woods riding and I had thought about wiring the fan to run all the time to try and keep it cooler. The temp light has only came on once(after about 2.5 hours of hard riding straight) but just trying to help her run cooler. I run good coolant yet it still seems hot(to me at least)

sd1
06-01-2010, 11:49 AM
well I can understand your concern about wanting it to run cooler for such a long race ..but in my opinion running the fan all the time isnt a good idea....and i'm sure others may disagree with me....but if I was in your position, I would consider running a larger core radiator and the evans coolant or engine ice instead of running the fan all the time.....and also when it comes to new rings time...keep the cylinder at a stock bore but get one that has larger water passages in it.....good luck at the race this weekend!