PDA

View Full Version : low end?

bigbad400
05-30-2010, 03:50 PM
whats a good cam, pipe, etc. that will have good low to mid gains? this thing has top end for days but would like a lot more bottom end without re gearing. what do you guys do to get more down low?

LTandRaptorider
05-30-2010, 08:12 PM
I have no experience with a cam so can't say. But for pipe I researched and seemed the HMF gave the best on low-end. So i got a slip-on and love it. Def gives more on the low-end, which as you know is where it's needed on the LTR. I think it revs a little quicker also. If you're just doing a pipe, then a slip-on is all you need. But if you go the cam and controller route, then you want to get the full system.

soapman72
05-30-2010, 11:53 PM
In every case that I am aware of, swapping the cam(s) will take away bottom end but give you a little more top end.

Re-gearing does nothing to increase low end, although many people refer to gearing down as a fix for low end. All it rally does is raise the rpm's for any given speed in any gear when compared to that same speed and gear selection with your previous taller gearing. Of course, there is a small increase in torque multiplication, but that is true at any rpm, not just the low end that people refer to.

Now, you could consult with a knowledgeable tuner and see if porting can help increase intake velocity at lower rpm's. Improved cylinder filling at low rpm's will improve torque, but I'm not sure that the LTR head can be ported in such a way to accomplish this. Most tuners will port for more top end. In any event, the difference wont be huge.

The last and most effective option would be to go big bore or a stroker crank. Ether way, extra cc's means more power, with the better improvement cling from the stroker crank.

That last option will get expensive if you go the stroker route. I for one think the 2008 and up LTRs make fantastic low end for a 450.

I have a PCV and auto tune kit on mine, and I must say that once the fuel is dialed in, the bike runs better and stronger at ALL engine speeds. This is where I would start, because there as absolutely NO reduction in reliability going this route.

bigbad400
05-31-2010, 03:15 AM
very well put answer thank you. i think ill be looking for the pcv and auto tune kit as soon as i find a pipe. i had HMF on my 400ex and i loved it. maybe ill do the same setup. HMF slipon with FMF powerbomb headpipe. the two made a real cool low rumbly sound and everyone loved it, and made mad amounts of power down low. i really had my eye on the yoshi pipe thow... i mean it is specifically designed for the ltr. but i also hear lrd makes alot of low end.

well then, i think i need to pick a pipe. then grab up a auto tune kit.

soapman72
05-31-2010, 10:40 AM
I have the Yosh RS5 full system on my LTR and couldn't be happier. From what I have read, all of the aftermarket systems make within .5 hp of each other. For me, .5 hp more or less means nothing, and I doubt you will feel the difference in one pipe vs another. I say pick the pipe that you like the looks and sound of best.

As long as you have the correct a/f ratio, you won't ever notice a difference.

I had a Trinity full system on my LTR for about 3 weeks. The exhaust was beautiful and the headpipe was ceramic coated, but the SOUND was so obnoxious, It literally hurt my ears and the ears of anyone unfortunate enough to be following me.

One thing I do hear about Yosh is that the packing lasts a lot longer than on some of the other systems. The Trinity system was spitting out packing the whole time I had it....literally!!!

John Noftsinger
05-31-2010, 10:48 AM
Dirtwheels did pipe test and the duncan did awesome aswell as the motoworks slipon gave great torque/hp. these two were top choice in torque hmf didn,t come close to these two pipes on dyno. duncan fatboy gave most torque out them all and they didn,t use the full kit!

Drewltr450
06-01-2010, 05:26 AM
I have had HMF,Rossier, Yoshi, and Dasa pipes over the years and DASA is by far my favorite.

soapman72
06-02-2010, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by John Noftsinger
Dirtwheels did pipe test and the duncan did awesome aswell as the motoworks slipon gave great torque/hp. these two were top choice in torque hmf didn,t come close to these two pipes on dyno. duncan fatboy gave most torque out them all and they didn,t use the full kit!

I never put much faith in the crap that the magazines spout. That said, the pipe shoot out that I've seen shows very little difference from the "best" pipe to the "worst" pipe.

As I said before, pick the one that you like the looks and or sound of and call it a day......that is AFTER you get your A/F ratio dialed in.

The worst pipe in the shoot out would out perform the best one if you use auto tune or have a custom map made for the pipe.

On the LTR forums, the Dasa seems to be the favorite. I didn't go with it for 2 reasons. First, there is not heat shield to keep ou from melting your riding pants. Second, they seem to need re-packing more often than the Yoshimura system. Heck, maybe they do make .4-.5 more horsepower than the Yosh. I don't care that much, and doubt anyone can really feel it.

tt racer
06-02-2010, 09:07 AM
Dasa for sure in the power department, no pipe will make more and it looks sweet!!!!!!!

panici33
06-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Checkout Terry Design Concepts...I just got there exhaust and its sick. I will be putting it on the bike this week in addition to the PCV. This pipe puts out pretty good performance and many have said it outperforms the Dasa, but of course those are rumors. Talk to Dustin, great service and great craftmanship on the exhaust; there should be a dyno comparison between the Dasa and TDC soon too.

Warnerade
06-05-2010, 02:31 PM
+1 for the DASA

madskrillz2
06-06-2010, 10:45 PM
I have a DASA and I love it. I'd look into the Terry Design Concept pipe too. If I had anything else, it would be one of those. My friend has one and swears by it. He used to have a DASA too if that says anything.

hawaiianbasshed
06-13-2010, 12:55 AM
go to LTRhq or LTR centrel and you'll see dyno's proving which does what.

you'll see the dyno of the stage 1 hotcams intake adding top end and NOT loosing bottom end.

Next UP we test the difference with the addition of a Hot Cams intake Cam....

a big thanks to site sponsor Woodward's Specialties here! Paul @ Woodward's has always the best prices and service on just about anything you could need..... Paul hooked me up with Great Prices on the the parts in these tests.....and when i told him i wanted the Hot Cam intake Cam...Paul asked me if i also wanted the Hot Cam exhaust cam.... i told him no thanks....

since i have tested more yamaha cam sets than just about anyone.... i have found this to be true of them all.... as is the rule for 4-strokes, they are VERY sensitive to intake cam profiles.... but pretty much insensitive to exhaust profiles (assuming the exhaust profile isn't a disaster from the factory)

all of the YFZ tests failed to make a differece of even a half HP with the changing of the exhaust cam... the dyno even has a hard time picking up the difference...

so Paul told me he would buy the Hot Cams Exhaust cam himself... and donate it to my testing... Paul said he would want to know the real deal so he could give his customers accurate advice....

Thanks again Paul!

First graph shows the Hot Cam Intake Cam didn't give up any bottom end to make for a nice gain on top end.... i LOVE when that happens.... because i HATE giving up bottom end to make top end......

so ...we picked up 2HP peak... more than that from peak to the rev limiter...and gave up no bottom end to do it.....NICE... !

http://www.trx450r.org/forum/uploads/monthly_02_2009/post-327-1234140835.jpg

DASA and Motoworks are the top two I've had recommended to me. the stock 08+ header is better than the 06-07. it's a little bigger and has been dyno'd to do more power. I'd recommend if you're going to get a slip on only get the 08+ header. it'll save you cash. and you can still use a heat shield ;) and still get a gain :) I put on a 08 full exhaust and it sounded beefier :D mine is black ceramic coated and I'm hoping to get a full black monster stealth slip on. if not I'll get rid of the entire setup for a motorworks or DASA full setup. I suppose I COULD get a yosh setup but I'd rather get the DASA as it's black and I'm doing a black theme on my bike...

those 20" rear tires are making you loose low end. and if you regear you'll get it back to stock final gear ratio so regardless of you not wanting to do that I will recommend it. I plan on doing 20"s on my LtR (I already have them) but I'm not doing it til I get my gearing in as well... also will be going from 20 to 22" on my raptor. and I will be regearing it as well... put some 18"s on and see if you get some low end. then realize you're making a mistake as it's changing the final gearing ratio and go and change it up to 13/39t on them sprockets :blah: go check out ltr hq its the biggest ltr forum I've found :D