PDA

View Full Version : Clutch throwout bearing/detent?

CJM
05-30-2010, 12:43 PM
not sure the exact name, but its the little detent that grabs the clutch and pulls it up to disengage it.

I removed the clutch to do the timing chain and I forget exactly where it goes.

It looks like in the manual the clutch basket and such go on, stake nut and all THEN this throwout bearing goes on that and the outer plate where the bolts and springs goes, goes on top of it.

Help?

flyboy1294
05-30-2010, 07:17 PM
You're in luck, I just put my clutch back together a few hours ago. :D Actually, I installed a timing chain just like you, haha.

You put the clutch basket on, then put the part you circled in red in, then assemble the clutch. I think you put the washers and stuff on first...

CJM
05-30-2010, 08:30 PM
Well I kinda went ahead and put it together the way I think the picture went

I put the clutch main basket thing w/ the gear, then the actual basket, clutch plates and then that detent thing.

But, I put that plate with the bolts and springs and such on over it. Doesnt seem to matter so long as its on the inside of that plate I think.

It did pull back and forth and the clutch did seem to work. I sadly cant be sure cause the topend is still apart.

Hope everythings fine at lease lol..

flyboy1294
05-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Well I kinda went ahead and put it together the way I think the picture went

I put the clutch main basket thing w/ the gear, then the actual basket, clutch plates and then that detent thing.

But, I put that plate with the bolts and springs and such on over it. Doesnt seem to matter so long as its on the inside of that plate I think.

It did pull back and forth and the clutch did seem to work. I sadly cant be sure cause the topend is still apart.

Hope everythings fine at lease lol..

I 'think' you did it the same way I described it. My top end is apart too. Guess we'll see if it works soon. :devil:

CJM
05-31-2010, 04:11 PM
Just so I am not hijacking someones thread..

The last plate that is before the main cover, goes into the more shallow grooves of the basket-not with the rest of the plates???

I am confused b/c the manual is very vague. All it says is
Install the out-side clutch disc tabs into the shallow slots in the clutch outer.

So does that mean I should put all the ones with tabs into the shallow slots in the basket or just the last one.

Could really use the help.. really confused.

flyboy1294
05-31-2010, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Just so I am not hijacking someones thread..

The last plate that is before the main cover, goes into the more shallow grooves of the basket-not with the rest of the plates???

I am confused b/c the manual is very vague. All it says is

So does that mean I should put all the ones with tabs into the shallow slots in the basket or just the last one.

Could really use the help.. really confused.

You put all the ones with tabs into the deep slots (with the magnet spacers in between) then the last one with tabs you put into the shallow slot. It holds everything together and keeps it from slipping.

It's funny, I struggled with the exact same problem. :D

CJM
05-31-2010, 05:44 PM
I feel like an idiot now since I put the cover back on and everything. Oh well one day with the gasket on it should be fine. Ill just have to take it apart again :(

Thanks for your help again :)

flyboy1294
05-31-2010, 06:44 PM
No problem, you didn't run it with the clutch assembled like that did you?:eek2:

CJM
05-31-2010, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by flyboy1294
No problem, you didn't run it with the clutch assembled like that did you?:eek2:

Nah topend is still apart, Im waiting for GT Thunder to send my cylinder back.

flyboy1294
05-31-2010, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Nah topend is still apart, Im waiting for GT Thunder to send my cylinder back.

Again, you seem to be in an eriely similar step in your build as I am in mine... :p

But your gasket will be fine. When is GTT suppose to return your head?

CJM
05-31-2010, 07:39 PM
Not sure, I sent it in a little over a week and a half ago and they charged me so I am calling tomorrow to see.