PDA

View Full Version : Help with Rear Axle

Blackguywithouta400
11-27-2001, 09:49 PM
I dont know any kind of maint that needs to be done to the rear axle, i have a 2002 400 with about 25hrs on it, i change the oil and stuff but never have adjusted the chain or what ever goes on with the axle, ive been riding in sand and mud and everything, i clean the $**_# out of it when i bring it home i know theres something to be done to the axle, i keep looking that the double row barring carriers and stuff?????????????
Im new to quads so someone help me out

11-28-2001, 10:42 AM
Alright bub,,here's the skinny,,,Your rear axle has a sealed bearing which means it SHOULD keep the grease in and the crap out...I'd say maybe pull the axle out annually,,so about once a year and make sure it's not got dirt and crap in it and go ahead and grease it while it's out. YOu shouldn't need a new axle carrier unless you put the rear end up on a stand,,spin the back wheel and if you hear horrible sounds and the wheels can literally be moved back and forth,,then it's time for a new carrier,,but you should be OK. As for the chain adjustment,,you should see directions for that in your owners manual,,pretty easy,,and go buy some good chain lube too if ya already don't have any..hope that answered your question,,later dude..

Revin300EX
11-30-2001, 04:00 AM
Check your locknut.

If its loose, it will make it seem like you need bearings, when in fact, you dont.

But if it IS loose, it will ruin your bearings eventually.