PDA

View Full Version : trx 450 keeps dying

jboz5786
05-29-2010, 01:33 PM
ok so a buddy of mine just bought a 2004 trx 450r It has a HMF pipe hrc kit also rest is stock.A few weeks ago . Well we went on a ride last weekend to test it out. It was pretty hot out and his quad kept dying so he turned the idle up on it cuz he thought he had it set to low. Well it kept dying on him. I asked him if his fan was coming on it never did from what he could remember. Anyways is there anyway the motor could be getting to hot from the fan not running to make it die like that? He would shut it off let it cool off and it would be ok till we got back into tight sections of trails and it die again and again.???? Could it be because there is a bad relay or switch in the fan or thermostat?

racer 557
05-29-2010, 02:04 PM
when you put the hrc kit and the pipe on it did you all re jet it? kinda sounds like a jetting problem in my oppinion

Baileygunns
05-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Could be a few things... Are the valves in spec? Might be a startor... You can pull the left side cover off and check the stator pick up for any metal shavings.

The fan doesn't turn on often on these machines. You can ground out the fan to make sure it turns on. Make sure the water pump is pushing water. Make sure the thermostat isn't stuck closed. Make wure the thermal switch is working. It's all outlined in the service manual.

04/05 service manual (http://www.filefront.com/13907168/05trx450rSM.zip)

TRXman86
06-02-2010, 03:50 AM
Oddly enough I just had the same issue this past weekend!!! I found that my screw was backed out to far. Here's what I did... Screw it all the way in (fuel screw that is), then back it out 1 adn 3/4 turns. Make sure ya pull the plug and either clean it or put a new one in. I sugest cleaning it untill you get it right. Once you get teh scerw set right, put a brand new plug in. Done it to mine, runs perfect now :D