PDA

View Full Version : Thinkin bout startin a hybrid project need advice

quadrider2112
05-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Ive been lookin at all these hybrids untill i gotta have one. I will have to buy it all a piece at a time. The thing is i have no idea what i am lookin at when it comes to all the diff kinds of frames, swingers and a arms. I know i wanna go with a yzf 450 for the motor cause i think i know where i can get one cheap and im a yami man.

I wanna build it for MX. Any info will help greatly.

mx Eli
05-29-2010, 06:24 PM
I like walsh stuff. alot of people seem to to agree

mx Eli
05-29-2010, 09:12 PM
also pep shocks, hiper rims and lots of pcing

quadrider2112
05-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Where is the best place to get a good deal on a frame? I think this will be one of the biggest money points in the project right?

Rootar
05-29-2010, 11:24 PM
crfs are better.....:rolleyes: :D

yz450hybrid
05-30-2010, 07:51 AM
i pmed ya

Rootar
05-30-2010, 10:19 AM
actually right now frames arent that expensive, but all the small stuff will nickle and dime you to death. my suggestion would be to pick up either an aftermarket or converted frame for the YZ motor. Youl need to decide on a 250r or 400ex based bike. the 400ex based bike would be an easier build with more parts floating around for cheap. But instead of buying it piece by piece i suggest buying a fully built super nice 400ex. These are sooo cheap right now (you can pick up one with longtravel front and rear end and all the goodies for less than 3K) then swap everything over to your yz frame and motor and sell what ever is left from the 400ex (frame, motor, exhaust etc...)

id say you could prolly build one like that for 4,500 or so OR you could buy an ultra nice hybrid thats already built (like a full Leager bike for 4800)

in the long run youd prolly better off buying an entire bike riding it and seeing what you like and dont like, then rebuilding it later on down the road to how you want it to be.

tayyo789
05-30-2010, 01:51 PM
I agree completely with Rootar, but I want to add that if you decide to do the hybrid, you should buy a quad AND a bike. That way you don't have to go looking and searching everywhere for one little missing piece that would cost more in shipping than the actual part. There are a lot of parts people don't think about until they come to that point, and thats what will kill you on the cost, as well as time.

mooseracerX
05-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by tayyo789
There are a lot of parts people don't think about until they come to that point, and thats what will kill you on the cost, as well as time.
Been there bought all the little hardware what a PITA that was but I'm happy with the way it turned out. They have lots of power and it's cool to look at something you've built.

quadrider2112
05-30-2010, 11:25 PM
think ill go with yalls advice and save awhile and get sweet on already built