PDA

View Full Version : tips for building a quad ?

zukiboy
05-28-2010, 08:24 PM
hi im to the forum and just got my first quad its a 1988 suzuki 250R and it came in a box! my boss gave it to me, he was making room in our shop. i was wondering if anyone had any useful tips or tips on things to look out for during the build!?

headache
05-30-2010, 09:00 AM
best thing to do is get a clymer manual and look over it good. Check the frame for any cracks/bad welds. Head over to www.quadracerhq.com or www.everything2stroke.com lots of good info on both sites. Post up some pics of your project! The Lt is an awesome quad, you'll love it when you get it together. The main things to look out for are worn bearings and bushings in the a arms and swingarm. Is the motor together or apart? You need to check crankshaft bearings and the connecting rod bearings if its apart.

zukiboy
05-30-2010, 05:45 PM
thanks for the tips and support the motor is whole and my boss gave me a clymer manual with the quad the frame looks good. should i take apart the motor to check it over senses its out of the frame right now or just leave it alone? another question i have is .... are most parts interchangable from other years or there strictly designed for each year? thanks again il post pics soon!!!:D

LTandRaptorider
05-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Parts for years 88-92 will work for your quad except rear suspension, which was changed for 91-92. also the airbox is different since it's mounted behind the rear shock on the 91-92 LT. Since the engine is out, might as well pull the cylinder head and check the cylinder and piston out. If good then just throw a set of rings on it. Make sure there is no up and down movement on the crank... Since the engine has no coolant in it can't check if any is leaking out of the weep hole, which is under the water pump. The mechanical seals are known to leak on the water pump. Put new spark plug in it, wouldn't hurt to throw new reeds in. Like the other guy said, go over the whole quad, check frame for cracks. Weak areas are lower frame rail near the foot pegs, and a-arm mount areas. Clean the carb out, air filter, put fresh gas in, new oil and coolant, check ALL bearings! Swingarm bearings if never greased will be toast and need replaced. Check out brake pads. Easier for you since this quad is all apart. Check ebay for deals, can get bearing and seal kits on there too for a decent price. Yes, new seals, don't reuse old ones. Take your time, do it right and you will have a fun quad! :cool:

zukiboy
06-02-2010, 05:16 AM
thanks for all the support all the tips have been great but after doing some better investigating the "box of quad " is a 87 what years are compatable for parts with this model?? also im short the upper and lower A arms, radiator and swing arm does anybody have any for sale thatll fit my bike ??

thanks again for the support:ermm:

chargerbaseball
06-04-2010, 03:05 PM
88-92 yearmodel a-arms and front suspension is interchangeable. but, Burgard Cycles, and Fullflight Racing make extended a-arms. Theres a couple of guys on quadracer hq that custom make swing arms, and a-arms for yzf450 length shocks for the same price as Burgards and Fullflights. Their usernames are FasttrackFab and Iceracer. As far as the radiator goes, youll just have to find a used one, and im not sure if all the years are compatible.

You'll want to change out the front shocks. i promise. your best bet would be to get a set of Works, or go with the custom a-arms for yfz shocks.

good luck with your bike! you'll love it!

chargerbaseball
06-04-2010, 03:05 PM
88-92 yearmodel a-arms and front suspension is interchangeable. but, Burgard Cycles, and Fullflight Racing make extended a-arms. Theres a couple of guys on quadracer hq that custom make swing arms, and a-arms for yzf450 length shocks for the same price as Burgards and Fullflights. Their usernames are FasttrackFab and Iceracer. As far as the radiator goes, youll just have to find a used one, and im not sure if all the years are compatible.

You'll want to change out the front shocks. i promise. your best bet would be to get a set of Works, or go with the custom a-arms for yfz shocks.

good luck with your bike! you'll love it!

zukiboy
06-04-2010, 03:51 PM
thanks for the heads up on the shocks but i have a 87 all the info you gave me was for 88 and up?! so....... what does that mean for the A arms and such:confused:

thumpers4ever
06-11-2010, 08:06 PM
in your first post you said 88. but anyways 87-92 are the same exept like what was said about the rear suspension 91-92. the only difference with an 87 is the cylinder. the reed cage is bigger. easy way to tell what you have is if it has 5 bolts holding the reed cage in its an 87, if it has 6 bolts its the smaller cage 88-92. but you can still put an 87 top end end on an 88-92 bottom end and vice versa.

you can use some 85-86 parts too but mainly chasis parts like brakes, spindles, plastics and some others.

zukiboy
06-13-2010, 05:47 PM
thanks thats very helpful. i checked my motor and its definetly a 87 still looking fro swing arm, a arms, and radiator if anyone has any for sale give me a call 231 360 1047
thanks zukiboy:D

thumpers4ever
06-16-2010, 08:55 PM
I have some parts but don't remember what I all have. I know I have a-arms off my 87, they are powdercoated yellow. but they don't have any bearings or ball joints in them.

zukiboy
06-17-2010, 05:11 AM
how much do you want for them

thumpers4ever
06-17-2010, 05:28 PM
$60. I have a place up your way between Gaylord and Mancelona. I am up there useually 2 weekends a month

thumpers4ever
06-17-2010, 05:35 PM
some pics

thumpers4ever
06-17-2010, 05:37 PM
pic of bottom. they are in great shape just some minor scratchs on the bottom. the reason I took these off is I went with a yellow frame with blue a-arms

zukiboy
06-17-2010, 05:54 PM
right on! my in laws live in lakes of the north subdivision in between gaylord and mancelona. let me know next time your gonna be up, well hook up

thumpers4ever
06-18-2010, 05:26 PM
we are at Lake Arrowhead, just east of lake of the north. I should be up there 4th of July weekend.

also check out quadracerhq.com. all the lt250 info you'll ever need

zukiboy
06-19-2010, 05:32 AM
well prolly be up there to so thatll work. you didnt happen to have any other parts did ya?

thumpers4ever
06-19-2010, 08:45 AM
no, not what your looking for. some front brake lines, spindels, tie rods, rear break holder, front caliper, and stock handel bars that are PC'ed that match the a-arms.