PDA

View Full Version : 400ex power?

250rforlife
05-27-2010, 05:18 PM
ok iv been asking alot of question but its giving me hell on my desiction. my 250r is beat to hell and needs all new bears all around. the carb is not right and i aint good with carbs so i would have to pay someone, and i need a bunch of parts to be reblaced. I WOULD ALSO HAVE TO PUT 2500 INTO IT TO GET THIS 250R TO BE MY PERFECT QUAD BUT COULD THE 400 BE MY AWNSER IN THIS SITUATION?.this guy wants to trade a 03 400ex that is milidly built motor wize. works shocks in the front stock in the rear. if i trade i will do a 416, kibble white valve setup, hc1,11:1 pistion on 93 octane with a stock carb and a hmf pipe. my 250r has a fmf pipe, stock reeds, .80 over. thats all. how much slower would this 400ex be? and ALSO how do 400exs do in steep long hillclimbs, they a perfect trail bike? is the 400ex everything i need for gncc? since i cant aford a 450? all info greatly aprestiated

hjsmith00843
05-27-2010, 05:27 PM
I would yank his arms off with that trade...... I like my 400ex. But then again I have never had a 250r.

What ever is in the best condition is what I would use.

As for a hare scramble atv the 400ex is awesome from what I have heard. I am setting mine up for it.

bherriman
05-27-2010, 06:15 PM
I had an '87 250r .40 over 12:1 piston with shaved head(13.5:1 compression) on race gas with 38mm carb fmf reeds and full pipe and wheels and tires and that stuff it was the best thing I ever rode I loved it so much..sold it about 4 years ago and bought a stock 05 crf 250r bike and absolutely loved it..now I've got my 400ex and I will keep it forever even if I do get a different bike so what I am trying to say is both bikes are awesome and I would be happy with either it just depends what you like and how you want to ride...they are an awesome quad it does everything you tell it to do and asks for more sure it might not have the straight line speed of a 450 but you aslo don't have all the bull crap upkeep that comes with the 450. But this is just my opinion, heck my little brother has a trx 90 and I can go out in the trails and mess around on that thing and have a ball I just like to ride lol.

ish416
05-29-2010, 06:12 PM
A well modded 416ex should run with a basic (full exhaust, jetted, filter, reeds) modded 250r. I think the R may be a slight bit faster as in maybe 1.5 quad lengths over 300 ft drag but, the EX is way more ridable and most likely just as fast or faster in the trails where it counts.

If you are used to and enjoy the hit of of a two stroke, then a 400ex is not for you.

As for hill climbs, they are great but have a very light front end.

dalejiw25
05-30-2010, 05:22 AM
I have Both. My 250r is an '89. I wouldn't get rid of either simply Because I love The smell Of Burning Klotz In the Morning, lol. Seriously though, You will always regret(till the day you die) gettin rid of your 250r. But on the bright side He who dies with no regrets has not lived. Good Luck.

krt400ex
05-30-2010, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by ish416
A well modded 416ex should run with a basic (full exhaust, jetted, filter, reeds) modded 250r.

hahaha, reeds on a 400ex :rolleyes:

ish416
05-30-2010, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by krt400ex
hahaha, reeds on a 400ex :rolleyes:

If you were to read my post, I was stating that a well modded 416EX is nearly as quick as a 250r with Full Exhaust, Filter, Jetted and reeds.

Foxhound013
05-31-2010, 03:02 PM
lol, calm down man, I think he knew that he was just laughing about it because of the way it was written. We all understand the 400's don't have reeds lol.

250rforlife
05-31-2010, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Foxhound013
lol, calm down man, I think he knew that he was just laughing about it because of the way it was written. We all understand the 400's don't have reeds lol. 400's dont have reeds? since when? :D

400man
05-31-2010, 08:06 PM
I was in your situation early this year. I had a 86 250r that I owned for about 4 years. it was wore out from alot of hard riding and some xc races. it got to the point where I had to work on it more than I was riding it cause everything was wore out (both frame and engine parts). finally I got so pissed with it that I put it up for sale or trade........and traded it for a banshee (couldnt get away from a 2 stroke just yet :p ) I put a little money into the shee and made it into a pretty nice trail bike, but in the end it still didnt handle no where near like my old 250r did, so I finally ended up trading it for a nice 400ex setup for woods racing. I actually have 2 400's now and I gotta say im pretty happy with both of em. and here is my comparison between the 250r and 400ex.

in the woods, the 250r feels like it needs to be riddin more aggressive to be fast on, like you always have to keep it reved up and in the powerband, where the 400ex has a more tractor like feel where you can keep a gear higher and lug it around, just a more smoother forgiving powerband. and the fast trails or fields, its a no contest between the R and EX, the 250r has an extra gear and usually good topend pull, where the EX is just a 5 speed and is more of a lowend/midrange pulling motor. as far as handling, the 250r feels longer and more stable, where the EX feels shorter and likes to wheelie real easy. aftermarket suspension changes this though so its no problem. I have a gt thunder linkage on one m my EX's and it feels better then my 250r ever did in the rear end, real soft and plush and just squats under acceleration. hills are very fun where you just sit back and keep it pinned.