PDA

View Full Version : DWT wheels, they wont come off?

muddy400EX
05-27-2010, 02:41 PM
i got dwt's champion in a box wheels a couple months ago. went to take off the front wheels, and they are stuck on like a mofo! tried prying, beating it with a sledgehammer. how the hell can i get them off? and better yet, how did this happen in the first place?

spec
05-27-2010, 05:14 PM
that used to happen all the time with my ice tires on my ltr also. They were originally for a honda, which i know shouldnt make a difference since its the same bolt pattern, but they would still stick. It was like the holes were just barely not big enough. I always had to take a rubber hammer and just keep spinning and tapping them until they would finally pop off. I dont know what it is either, but the stock ltr rims fit fine, my hipers fit fine, but those rims would always do that. They would go on fine, but unless I had something to tap them with they wouldnt come off. Unless theres some kind of explination that I am missing for it, the only thing I can say is keep spinning and hitting the inside of the rims till they start to come off. Also make sure to hit it evenly otherwise it can get wedged even more and you gotta hit it back and start all over.

bigbad400
05-28-2010, 04:42 AM
use a punch and take the nuts off, tap them out backwards with punch and hammer. done it 100 times on my 400ex with dwt wheels, i baught the kind that has steel rings to keep from doing that for the ltr. lol aluminum doest need to be that tight either, the company said it wont happen if u use the recomended something like 20 ftlbs torque on the lug nuts. i just didnt feel safe myself. lol

madskrillz2
05-29-2010, 12:12 PM
Did you use the stock lug nuts?

muddy400EX
05-29-2010, 02:53 PM
ya. was i not supposed to? lol

madskrillz2
05-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Well they're tapered and that will pinch a little bit of the rim into the lug. That's what makes them hard to get off. I learned the hard way too lol

ROTTY261
06-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Use after market flat lug nuts next time and invest in a can of anti seeze to put around the studs and on the flat parts of your mounting surface.

muddy400EX
06-03-2010, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by bigbad400
use a punch and take the nuts off, tap them out backwards with punch and hammer. done it 100 times on my 400ex with dwt wheels, i baught the kind that has steel rings to keep from doing that for the ltr. lol aluminum doest need to be that tight either, the company said it wont happen if u use the recomended something like 20 ftlbs torque on the lug nuts. i just didnt feel safe myself. lol

u mean like tap on the studs? cuz i tried that and no progress:mad:

madskrillz2
06-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Get a rubber hammer and hit it hard as you want

muddy400EX
06-04-2010, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by madskrillz2
Get a rubber hammer and hit it hard as you want

tried that too,lol. i guess im just gonna have to beat the holy hell out of it one day until i get it.haha

bigbad400
06-04-2010, 04:42 AM
u def had it way too tight to begin with, probably what ur gonna have to do is get the hub off, and lay the tire on something so that the hub will fall out if u can get a good swing on it, use a piece of wood and a BIG hammer, and just royaly pound it. lol it shouldnt fight back too much its just aluminum, maybe some penetrating oil on the back side were the rims set on the hub is seized, cover them studs, front and back with wd-40 or liquid wrench or pb oil or anything along those lines. it could help, other than that the only idea i have is to heat the rim, but ull warp it or bend it when u hit the rim to remove it, this is a last resort attempt. dont be scared to ruin those studs there only $1.00 a piece and they tap into the hubs from the backside.

ROTTY261
06-07-2010, 10:48 AM
If they are still stuck on there, remove your whole hub and get a piece of brass and use it as a punch. Then you can use a good size mallet to smack each stud a little at a time until it comes out.

When you over torque the lugs into aluminum rims without conical seating rings (i think that is what they are called) the aluminum flattens out a little and squeezes onto the studs.

Good luck man:D

Scro
06-07-2010, 10:55 AM
I've heard of people backing the lugnuts half way off, and riding around slowly in first gear to break it loose. I've never done it, and don't really recommend it, but I've heard it works.

yz426ex36
06-11-2010, 10:44 AM
i work at a shop and we have people do this all the time cuz of the taperd lug nuts... he will not be able to remove his front wheel with hub cuz the calliper will not come off with the rim on it.. i have removed the rear bubs and rims like that before and used a block of wood and smacked the studs to remove them but as far as the front you will just have to either get a large rubber dead blow hammer or try the loose lugs and ride around a lil bit...ALSO when you reinstall them i usually take a drill bit and ream the hole just a lil bit so it dont happen again..then use a flat after market lug nut or sometimes you can find a nut with a washer built in at a hardware store(like the nuts on the aarm bolts..its a 8mmx1.25