PDA

View Full Version : coolant loss

muddymess
05-26-2010, 10:02 PM
is it normal for there to be coolant loss? I was told by someone that its normal but I'm having to fill my overflow after every race because its empty and i usually put too much in before the race.

CODY_M11
05-26-2010, 10:07 PM
any way it can splash out?

muddymess
05-26-2010, 10:19 PM
not really. it has the cap and tube on it.

even with the cap off i couldn't see every drop just splashing out.

CODY_M11
05-26-2010, 11:21 PM
do you have a leak in your mechanical seal in water pump?

muddymess
05-26-2010, 11:23 PM
i looked all over the quad for a leak while it was running and found nothing.

CODY_M11
05-26-2010, 11:40 PM
thats weird. i dont know much bout rs still learning but i know mine leaks out of the mechanical seal and i even replaced it and it still leaks.

86 Quad R
05-27-2010, 07:07 AM
it's going somewhere obviously.

1. check the spark plug to see any signs of coolant on it after a ride or race. could be a mild head gasket leak

2. hows the tranny oil look when you change it?

3. when riding or racing, pay close attention to the lil weep hole at the water pump.

4. before you ride or race again take a compression reading and take another afterwards and compare. if its taking it in the cylinder via head ect. you should be seeing a drop in compression.

for future reference. when installing a new water pump seal assembly i suggest that a small amount of petroleum jelly be applied to the porcelin surface. this is an old trick i learn many a moon ago as i had installed my first seal kit only to have it leak 5 minutes later. afterwards i tore into it, applied the petro jelly and re-assembled. that was 10 years ago and am on the same setup.
:blah:

Aceman
05-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
for future reference. when installing a new water pump seal assembly i suggest that a small amount of petroleum jelly be applied to the porcelin surface.

I use bar soap. I steal it out of the shower.....;)

I used Dial, but Dove and Lava would probably work too.:p