PDA

View Full Version : 87 250r chassis, what engine.

thumpers4ever
05-26-2010, 07:37 PM
I bought a basket case 250r a couple months ago. I basically got the rolling chasis done. I started tearing into the motor to rebuild it and it needs alot of work (damaged cases, new bearings, cylinder bored, etc...). I still don't know if it will be cost efective to rebuild this motor or not, so in the mean time I am keeping an eye out for a good used one. I was also thinking maybe going hybrid if the work isnt to hard to do.

So to the point, what other engines fit into the 250r frame the easiest with the least amount of mods? I have seen YZ426/450, CRF450 and KTM's. how hard is it to get these engines in there? This quad will basically be a back up/ buddy quad as I already have two others. So I am not looking for the most powerfull engine. What about a 400ex or Z400 motor?

tayyo789
05-26-2010, 08:24 PM
If you are going to do a hybrid, you need to be willing to spend the time and money to do everything right. At the same time, you would be better off going with something that you would like to ride, that would suit you the best, since hybrids aren't just a weekend build. They will always need something, and you will always be working on it. So you should either be committed, or stick with production bikes

racerx573
05-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Look for a nice motor on here on or on ebay. I would not put a bike motor in an OEM R frame, no matter what anyone says. They WILL fail eventually. You will spend more money on the conversion/motor than repairing or getting a new R motor.

tayyo789
05-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Exactly.
Not only will the repair be cheaper than a conversion, the conversion will continuously cost you money. It takes a certain type of disgustingly obsessed person to keep a nice hybrid.
Plus R frames are becoming more and more rare every day. And they are the best home for their motors. Keep the R, fix the R, ride the R, and most importantly, take care of the R

fearlessfred
05-26-2010, 09:08 PM
what if the persons hybrid is not kept real nice are they still concidered disgustingly obsessed ,i think im starting my man period and overly sensitive and looking for a fight.lol but i agree with your comments

thumpers4ever
05-27-2010, 09:35 AM
think I will just stick with an R engine. you all basically answered my main questions. I just didn't know if some other engine would go in there easy with say just different motor mounts. I didn't want to cut up the frame, and being that this is a third bike I have no need right know to spend a bunch of many making a kick *** hybrid. thanks for the input.

bobizzle
07-18-2010, 04:05 PM
man, put another r back in there. thanks tayyo789, hate to see the frames disappear. but what motor parts are messed up, cases, which ones, inside, outside, what parts, may have some extra stuff, or deffinitaly can find you some parts to get tht motor fixed. let me know what you need and i will be willing to help. just want to see people bringing back the 250r, not getting rid of them, or cutting "em up and doing nothing with them.

89trx250r
09-16-2010, 08:23 PM
250r >all others imo there's no feeling like the R gives you. Also after riding my 250 all day then getting on my yfz it feels like the yfz is so slow and boring lol

mac_ando
09-22-2010, 08:15 PM
you can get a 400ex motor in an R frame. and not have mess it up to the point where u cant get an R motor bolted right back in. and you would be hard pressed to find a more reliable motor for a buddy quad for trail riding. i built 1 and when i was done with it, i sold it to a guy and he put a 250 motor right back in. Just my 2 cents worth.