PDA

View Full Version : wheel spacers

dvx400_boy
05-26-2010, 06:51 PM
anyone got a pair of 4in wheel spacers i could throw on my dvx 400?? i dont race it, i want it rider tho cause itll look better imo i looked at motosport wants 80 bucks a wheel for some fancy thing but i saw my friend had some on his modded 400ex and there just like rods... anyone know where i can get them??

and for the back wheels do i need a new axle or do wheel spacers work for the back too?

thanks

fearlessfred
05-26-2010, 07:11 PM
to sacrifice handling,for what u think looks good,is not something i would not do. of course that is just my opinion. please read the first thread in this section steering and suspension .the rear spacers are fine, but the axle could bend eazy if jumping big if u are just putting around in first and second gear , forget i said anything,because u will never know the differance

dvx400_boy
05-26-2010, 07:23 PM
how will it sacrifice handing?? wont it make it more sturdy in the corners hence the wider stance?? and no. im pound the **** outta my machine. i ride it like i should be riding a ltr 450. lol so no rear spacers...im gunna need to get a bigger axle?? or rear spacers are fine? like my rear tires leave the ground but not being jumped on like am MX track...

Scro
05-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by dvx400_boy
how will it sacrifice handing?? wont it make it more sturdy in the corners hence the wider stance?? and no. im pound the **** outta my machine. i ride it like i should be riding a ltr 450. lol so no rear spacers...im gunna need to get a bigger axle?? or rear spacers are fine? like my rear tires leave the ground but not being jumped on like am MX track...

Read the 4th paragraph of the 1st post, in the "Steering and Handling Discussion" thread.

fearlessfred
05-26-2010, 07:39 PM
read the first sticky in steering and handling it explains why u shouldnt use front spacers, it changes the geometry and yes u would think that being wider would be more stable and that would be true if u used stiffer springs on the shocks. because of the added leverage from the wheel being further away from the pivit of the lower shock mount,it makes the springs to soft

Scro
05-26-2010, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by fearlessfred
read the first sticky in steering and handling it explains why u shouldnt use front spacers, it changes the geometry and yes u would think that being wider would be more stable and that would be true if u used stiffer springs on the shocks. because of the added leverage from the wheel being further away from the pivit of the lower shock mount,it makes the springs to soft

The softer shocks won't be the biggest issue. Wheel spacers put more pressure on the wheel bearings, which equates to less life out of the bearings. They will also cause more feedback through the bars when you hit a root or rock, or hook the side of the berm. Being farther away from the centerline of the spindle, it gives the wheel more leverage when you do hit something.

witech
05-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Wheel spacers dont change the leverage or geometry that the shock is seeing. . You would need to extend the arms to chang e the leverage. What they do is Increase the torque load on the spindles if they get out to far. it will blow the tiny wheel bearings. The other issue is spacing out the front wheels will increase the bump steer effect .

dvx400_boy
05-26-2010, 07:57 PM
hmmm alright i guess im not gunna get em then. i just wanted it wider. i think it looks weird being so narrow

Scro
05-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by witech
Wheel spacers dont change the leverage or geometry that the shock is seeing. . You would need to extend the arms to chang e the leverage. What they do is Increase the torque load on the spindles if they get out to far. it will blow the tiny wheel bearings. The other issue is spacing out the front wheels will increase the bump steer effect .

Bumpsteer is not changed by wheel spacers, or different offset wheels. Bumpsteer is only caused by the different planes from which the tierods and a-arms are pivoting.

fearlessfred
05-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by witech
witech,i have a lot of respect for your opinion but strongly disagree by putting the wheels further away , u have made the distance greater and there for increased leverage, the stock wheel pivits on its own center.putiing wheel spacers on makes the tire pivit around its center. how is that not changing the geometry,or am i wording it wrong .and as dustin stated it does not increase bumpsteer, but does give the wheel a mechanical advantage over the rider.

Scro
05-27-2010, 08:26 AM
witech,i have a lot of respect for your opinion but strongly disagree by putting the wheels further away , u have made the distance greater and there for increased leverage

I've heard several people say that wheel spacers/wider offset wheels do not increase the leverage that the shock sees. At one point, someone tried to explain it. If I remember correctly, it had something to do with it being a dual a-arm setup. Think about what moves the bottom a-arm...the spindle. The spindle is pulling straight up on the bottom a-arm. No matter where you are at in the range of motion, the spindle is always pulling straight up on the bottom arm. Throughout the range of motion, the spindle is moving in a linear pattern. The plane of the bottom arm is pivoting at the frame, and changing through the range of motion. So if you think about it, it wouldn't matter if grab the shaft of spindle in your hand, or if you used a 10 foot cheater bar over the shaft, the point of leverage is still pulling straight up on the bottom arm.

It's hard to explain. I hope I made that clear enough.

fearlessfred
05-27-2010, 09:41 AM
thanks dustin ,i do understand but will have to prove that one to myself (seeing as i am old and hard headed), what about the issue of it changing the geomety

Scro
05-27-2010, 09:59 AM
thanks dustin ,i do understand but will have to prove that one to myself (seeing as i am old and hard headed), what about the issue of it changing the geomety

It took me 15 minutes to think about and put that last post into words, and I've still got a headache from it:p I'll pass the geometry of it over to witech.:D

fearlessfred
05-27-2010, 10:50 AM
ok, i thought that was just me that happened to . well the fact is that spacers and offset rims wear out the bearings early and make the bike ill handling.the rest of it is just a matter of me not handing out bad imformation. it is never a matter of being right, but a matter of not being wrong. if that makes any sense, thanks again, and i always enjoy reading what u post

dvx400_boy
05-27-2010, 07:00 PM
so long story short...dont get wheel spacers front or rear or they will seriously **** with the wheels? even though i dont race/jump i just ride hard?

fearlessfred
05-27-2010, 07:16 PM
i would wait till i could afford wider aarms and axle.eventuly thats what u will end up having anyways .sorry about hyjacking your thread

dvx400_boy
05-27-2010, 07:34 PM
well im not gunna put a grand into it for a few inches... o well.

fearlessfred
05-27-2010, 08:51 PM
now your making me feel bad. i think i have learned my lesson. i dont think i will post after the wheel spacer question anymore

dvx400_boy
05-27-2010, 09:16 PM
why do you feel bad? haha

fearlessfred
05-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by dvx400_boy
why do you feel bad? haha

just kidding,when i first started racing three wheelers in 85,i first bought rear wheel spacers and bent the axle. then went to 4 wheelers and was sold offset front rims as well as a bunch of my friends i hated them they would pull into an follow any grove that was even close to the front tires. so i got my stockers back and had my buddies check out the diff, they all took there offset rims back and put there stockers back on. if i could save anyone that time and trouble i would

dvx400_boy
05-27-2010, 09:37 PM
well where i ride there are no ruts, no jumps...the only time my wheels leave the trail is a bump ill braaaap it and yank em up. and sometimes ill jump it on a bump down the trail but nothing like racing... i want it wider. like i dont think itll do much for me like make it worse if i do

fearlessfred
05-27-2010, 10:05 PM
well some people do it by reversing the rims . u have to take the valve stem out and put a new one in backwards then drill a hole on the other side and put in the correct way.this can be done at very little cost and can be reversed if u dont like it.on the back end they sell extended hubs that look way cleaner than spacers. i think rocky mountain atv has them under the tusk brand im am not sure if they have them for your bike, maybe someone else can chime in here

John Noftsinger
06-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Ive had front spacers for years cant afford a-arms/shocks would rather be wide then not ! Also ride track and trails clear 60ft tables never had issues with spacers(8yrs now changed bearing once) they just aren,t as good as the real thing !

dvx400_boy
06-03-2010, 08:18 PM
what quad you got em on?

400exrider707
07-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Where in upstate NY are you dvxboy?

Scro hit the nail on the head. Wheel spacers or flipped rims do NOT add bumpsteer and do NOT make the shocks softer.

They do make the quad wider and DO make the handling FAR WORSE.

You can always find good deals on used a-arms right here on this board. I've bought multiple sets of quality arms for UNDER $300 to my door. What is that roughly double what you're considering for just front wheel spacers?

G-force axles are only $200 brand new... it's a lot cheaper than you think, just save money, buy some used parts and it will be worth it in the end.

I hate seeing fellow ATV riders waste money on inferior designed parts, and the sad part is there is a LOT of it in our atv world.

dvx400_boy
07-11-2010, 04:13 PM
marcellus, nedrow, and jamesville dewiitt and manlius...

400exrider707
07-11-2010, 09:43 PM
I used to live in Manilus a couple years ago, then moved to Morrisville, now back in Amsterdam, about 2 hours east of you.

dvx400_boy
07-11-2010, 10:16 PM
really sick, you ever been to the jamesville quarry? we cant really find where the trails go past it...obv we have to ride some roads etc but we neeed to find the next trail heads... we can get all the way from onodoga hill before occ to nedrow and all the way to there...but the powerline trails basically stop at the quarry

dvx400_boy
07-11-2010, 10:16 PM
really sick, you ever been to the jamesville quarry? we cant really find where the trails go past it...obv we have to ride some roads etc but we neeed to find the next trail heads... we can get all the way from onodoga hill before occ to nedrow and all the way to there...but the powerline trails basically stop at the quarry