View Full Version : Kid Killed on predator

400exredrider
01-31-2003, 05:56 PM
A kid was recently killed on his Predator after his wheel fell off at a high speed and the quad was only hours old i guess he lost the whole works on the left side!! kinda weird on a quad that was new....:huh i guess polarisness has caught on to it already:confused: :D not good the kid wasent wearing a helmet.....some people are to stupid........anyway make shure you check bolts before you ride it could save you! anyway we could be seein a recall.... just thought id tell everyone!!

Str8Wicked
01-31-2003, 06:04 PM
Well it would actually be the dealers falt since they recieve them in parts and assemble them at there dealer shops. I know all our local dealers assemble them, they even try jacking you for the assembly fee... I see a law suit coming on....

400exredrider
01-31-2003, 06:08 PM
yeah never know......it showed video on news when he was just hurt then he died and they didnt want to show it any more but it looked like the whole shock assembly (a arm shock hub ect) just popped off after he hit this little dip.....i dunno prolly dealers fault...............still should heck bolts before you ride tho........haha i found that out i was in a race i went right after my previous race we had time to check stuff..........but naah haha why would i do that:o :D and i went out the race started first jump ok i pull up and what do you know i was holding on to my handle bars and they werent connected to anything but cables.............i was lke uhhh that aint good..:eek: so make shure you sheck your bolt and Nuts before you go out!!! haha

Str8Wicked
01-31-2003, 06:09 PM
I doubt Polaris is to blame even thou sometimes shyt does happen. But I figure they had more than enough hours of testing ans trial on the machines before they released them.

Guy400
01-31-2003, 06:38 PM
That's too bad to hear news like that. The lack of a helmet really gives our sport a black-eye. Who knows what could've happened, hard to tell really. Was it a dealer prep issue? Did the new owner go over the quad before riding it to make sure it was in the proper order? Did the kid hit something and damage the front end somehow before the wreck occured?

jerry-89-250R
01-31-2003, 06:39 PM
i bet things like this happen a lot, where i live the local honda shop sold a street bike too a guy and on his way home, him and the seat came off going around a curve, they forgot to bolt it on after charging the battery,

Nausty
01-31-2003, 06:40 PM
man I really wish people would relize that riding without a helmet hurts our sport too. Stupid hurts.

AtvMxRider
01-31-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
man I really wish people would relize that riding without a helmet hurts our sport too. Stupid hurts.

Amen!!

Str8Wicked
01-31-2003, 07:02 PM
where i live the local honda shop sold a street bike too a guy and on his way home, him and the seat came off going around a curve, they forgot to bolt it on after charging the battery,

I know at the dealer I bought my 400 at, they were telling me a bunch of guys who buy street bikes there often take it right off the lot and make the first hard turn outta the shop and drop it. They said they worn everyone who buys a bike that the tires are slippery for the first few blocks because of the armoral they have on them in the show room. He say about 10% of the people don't listen and end up having to replace scratched or broken plastics the first week.... lol

400exredrider
01-31-2003, 07:03 PM
yeah i dunno he didnt hit nothing i think it was just poor dealer action and im shure they will be sued but then again it could have been the quad........yes stupid hurts and he was indeed stupid

Ryan
01-31-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Str8Wicked
Well it would actually be the dealers falt since they recieve them in parts and assemble them at there dealer shops. I know all our local dealers assemble them, they even try jacking you for the assembly fee... I see a law suit coming on....

Correct. They are the ones to blame since they assemble the quads. I guess some of them just can't get them darn things together eh ;) . One thing though is that they are going to go beyound the sewing the dealers. Most likley they are going to blame the hole ATV crap and that just puts one point down for the atv industry. And yes stupid hurts..... Well helmets has saved my head from serious brain damage over the past years so im gonna keep it that way ;) .

I think that all beginner atv riders should have to take a training course before they are aloud to get on an atv or atlease an atv like the Preditor. That might not be the case of this situation but it could help some other issues out there. Just my 2 cents.

01-31-2003, 08:00 PM
where did you hear this from?? damn that sux those damn polaris maker's :grr

muff
01-31-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Str8Wicked
I know at the dealer I bought my 400 at, they were telling me a bunch of guys who buy street bikes there often take it right off the lot and make the first hard turn outta the shop and drop it. They said they worn everyone who buys a bike that the tires are slippery for the first few blocks because of the armoral they have on them in the show room. He say about 10% of the people don't listen and end up having to replace scratched or broken plastics the first week.... lol

lol when u get somethin new you gotta pay atention to them even tho some of the time they have no clue on stuff

wow thats horrible about the kid on the predator, I hate how its always the bad stuff that gets on tv and across the media

SGA
01-31-2003, 08:59 PM
Where did this happen at? I would like to read up on it. How old was the kid? If they sue, I dont know if they will win if the kid is under 16. There is warning labels all over the quad. " no riders under 16"
Do you think all those warning stickers are on them to protect us?

cheetah
01-31-2003, 09:16 PM
I agree that it probably was the dealer's fault and the kid should have worn a helmet. But looking back to my first day, it's sad, but checking the bolts were the last thing on my mind. I just wanted to ride. You would think that their would be some kind of procedure to check everything before they leave the dealership.

k_train
01-31-2003, 10:32 PM
That is too bad, but no matter what he should of had a helmet on. To me it sounds like typical polaris. My dad worked at a place that sold polaris and they had alot of problems with them. They had one bike that was brought back after the guy rode it through a ditch and it broke the swing arm off the frame. polaris then tried to tell the guy it was his fault!

mo.lakota
02-01-2003, 06:32 AM
My question is HOW OLD was the KID . Who let him ride if if hes a KID under age should hold responsibility .

Yes They will be SUED its inevitable these days .

where was his HELMET , Where was his Parent superviser if he was under age . ?

I check all my stuff after each ride , call me nuts but things happen in life , i try to make sure they dont .

My Daughters Raptor 80 had loose lugnuts on the front when I got it , thats the only loose bolts/nuts I found on it .

My Lakota had loose nuts on three wheels , and a unlubed front wheel bearing .

my wifes big bear , two loose wheel lug nuts .

How did I find these things out I did a thorough check before we rode them .

Yes my Daughter is underage for her quad but she rides really good and is safe . Who is to blame if she gets hurt , I am because she is 9 and the quad is for 12 and up .

I feel for the Family thats a tragedy to them , but machinery fails all the time . A machine does nothing to harm us unlesss we use it carelessly or it just has a mechanical failure .

Now everyone check your Nuts .

joeroadking
02-01-2003, 07:27 AM
I am sorry to hear someone was killed, WHAT A SHAME . as to liabilty there will def be a law suit as there should! be, unless it is a structual failure frame cracked bad weld then I think the liabilty would fall on the dealer, they should check over every nut and bolt during prep. I do agree after each ride I do a complete cleaning with pressure washer, grease all zerks ,check bike over wheels, bearings ,brakes, check for cracks in frame, adjust lube chain ,weather it is one week old or 14 years old, something always needs a little attention after a hard days ride ! then it ready for the next ride,the reason I do it after the ride, is it will give you time to order the bolt, chain, insert any part here ,for next weekend , gives time to service as well , It is kind of lame when everyone is ready to ride and one guy goes he uhh.... any one have a screw to hold my silencer? there is always one in the group, and then it is followed by can I borrow a 12mm ? I could not even ride my atv without doing this I would not feel confident in the equitment the same goes for any atv or mc for that matter! No helmet is just plan STUPID!!!! let me say that again. STUPID !!! his parents or guardian should be backhanded. :confused: sensless tragedys get me mad !!!

NDrider
02-01-2003, 07:36 AM
My dealer did the same same thing when my brother and I bought new matching TRX200sx quads in 1988. The one I got came off the show room and was already assembled, but they had to assemble my brothers and they forgot to tighten the hub nuts and put the pins in. We went from the dealership straight to the pasture to check cattle. My dad took off with mine to check the cattle, so my brother, my 6 year old cousin and I all hopped on my brothers quad and rode around by the truck and trailer. 3 little kids on this accident waiting to happen.

In the mean time the dealership realized its F@%k up and is calling our house and leave multiple messages that we need to call them ASAP.

The dealership was lucky, nothing happened to the quad us 3 little kids were on that had loose hub nuts, but my dad was not so lucky. He flipped my less then 1 hour old quad over backwards going up a steep hill and smashed up my headlight and bent my handlebars. From the pasture we went to the emergency room to get my dad checked out, because the quad fell on him. He was ok, just some nasty cuts and bruises from the footpegs.

It was an interesting first day with our new quads.

gncc571
02-01-2003, 08:32 AM
Seems like everytime you hear something like this the kid is always way to young for the quad their on.But you never hear about that, its always the quads fault, not the parents for letting them ride something they can't control. I see kids all the time with no helmets or anything riding on the road with no adults in sight.I think some parents believe that quads are a babysitter and then when their kids get hurt it the quads fault because "their so dangerus" that bull crap their only as dangerus as you make them. I think somebody sould sue the parents somtimes for being stupid. Thats my 2 cents:mad:

HONDAofTROY100
02-01-2003, 08:46 AM
tighten the bolts... :rolleyes: .. i would never jump on anythin w/o checkin if everythin is nice and ready to go

SGA
02-01-2003, 08:54 AM
I guess no one knows where and when this happened? Ive tried doing a search, but no luck..

Ryan
02-01-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by SGA
I guess no one knows where and when this happened? Ive tried doing a search, but no luck..

I searched the internet a few times but found nothing. I think the parents can have a say if they want it in the newspaper or on the news ect?

Nausty
02-01-2003, 10:00 AM
on another topic guess what I saw on the news.... "machines killing kids". Also another thing is when my dad and I would go riding he would always say "na I don't need a helmet" and it would either end up with him having to go back to get it because he wants to hill climb or he just does it without it. Hes crashed the blaster twice when he so called "didn't need a helmet". Just put em' on people and ride smart.

QuadJunkies
02-01-2003, 10:30 AM
man I really wish people would relize that riding without a helmet hurts our sport too. Stupid hurts. I agree 100%...I think the family will get a big settlement,but... not as large w/o a helmet... Im telling ya, I dont know all the ins and outs of this kids situation, but maybe,just maybe ,he may have lived had he been wearing one....Is it REALLY worth the gamble to NOT??????:confused: :mad: I dont think so...:(

DaveEX7
02-01-2003, 10:32 AM
Il bet that this kid on his new Predator, was trying to be cool and opened the thing up and hit a small bump so hard(because of the high speed that the Predator carries) it just caused the left side of the bike to fall apart causing the kil to fly over the handlebars and land rite on his head with NO helmet.

Just my 2 cents.

tants
02-01-2003, 10:41 AM

i second that...

HondaRancherES
02-01-2003, 10:46 AM
Thats bad.

QuadTrix6
02-01-2003, 10:47 AM
man this looks terrible for our sport, people are gonna get the wrong idea about quads. i hate that the only publicity (sp) we get is negative :grr ...

400exredrider
02-01-2003, 12:11 PM
I have no clue where it happend was on national news.........any way i guess he was only 14:eek: they wnt get much he shoulda been wearin protective gear and looked at the warnings..........oh well i hope it was a dealer problem cause i bought a Predator and it will be here next week......kinda scary:confused: dont ask why i bought a polara*s i just wanna try it out:D :D Ill still race the Ex and R:D