PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Add Shock Fluid

rossfnwalker
05-26-2010, 12:55 PM
SO I GOT AN ELKA REAR SHOCK ON MY YZ426 HYBRID AND I ACCIDENTALLY LEAKED OUT SOME SHOCK FLUID HOW DO FILL THIS BACK UP?

fearlessfred
05-26-2010, 01:04 PM
how did it leak out ,by cracking a line,the reason i askis because if it was a just a little u might get away with just represurizing the nitrogen

rossfnwalker
05-26-2010, 01:09 PM
ENOUGH THAT THE REAR OF MY QUAD FEEL'S LIKE A TRAMPOLEEN

dustin_j
05-26-2010, 01:18 PM
You'll have to release the nitrogen pressure before adding oil. You could add oil under the main seal or in the compression adjustor; you will also have to bleed air out of the shock before you add nitrogen. Basically, it's an entire oil change to just add oil.

Again, curious what you did to leak out some oil?

rossfnwalker
05-26-2010, 01:35 PM
WELL I GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH ELKA SOUND'S LIKE I BLEED THE NITROGEN PULL THE SPRING LOOSEN THE BOTTOM WHERE THE SHAFT COMES OUT EMPTY FLUID THEN ADD NEW 2.5WT FLUID BACK IN MAKE SURE THERE IS NO AIR IN IT THEN TAKE IT TO WORK AND REFILL WITH NITROGEN. EASY!! LOL

I WAS RELOCATING THE REMOTE RES AND WHEN I LOOSENED THE BANJO FITTING IT LEAKED OUT A LITTLE AND I THOUGH I TIGHENED IT BACK UP ENOUGH BUT I FOUND A WET SPOT AROUNT THE FITTING WHICH WOULD EXPLAIN WHY THE REAR OF BY BIKE WAS BOUNCIN AROUND LIKE A MEXICAN IN A LOW RIDER

aDviSol2y
05-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by rossfnwalker
WELL I GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH ELKA SOUND'S LIKE I BLEED THE NITROGEN PULL THE SPRING LOOSEN THE BOTTOM WHERE THE SHAFT COMES OUT EMPTY FLUID THEN ADD NEW 2.5WT FLUID BACK IN MAKE SURE THERE IS NO AIR IN IT THEN TAKE IT TO WORK AND REFILL WITH NITROGEN. EASY!! LOL

I WAS RELOCATING THE REMOTE RES AND WHEN I LOOSENED THE BANJO FITTING IT LEAKED OUT A LITTLE AND I THOUGH I TIGHENED IT BACK UP ENOUGH BUT I FOUND A WET SPOT AROUNT THE FITTING WHICH WOULD EXPLAIN WHY THE REAR OF BY BIKE WAS BOUNCIN AROUND LIKE A MEXICAN IN A LOW RIDER

Nice keg! Atleast you drink good beer!

fearlessfred
05-26-2010, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by rossfnwalker

did they tell u what depth to set the rezzy piston at, and how to get all the air out

Adams747
05-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Send it out to have it serviced properly. You will have air in it if not bled right and will change it into an emulsion shock to a small degree.

rossfnwalker
06-01-2010, 05:05 PM
THANKS aDviSol2y IT WAS A FUN LIL PROJECT LOL WELL I REBUILT MY SHOCK IT WORKED GREAT I TOOK OUT THE PLUNGER THEN FILLED THE RES WITH AIR TO PUSH OUT THE FLUID IN THE RES THEN DRAINED THE AIR PRESS AND FILLED THE SHOCK TO THE TOP THE PUSHED IN THE PLUNGER I PULLED IT BACK OUT FILLED IT BACK UP AND LET IT SIT FOR A WHILE TO LET THE BUBBLES WORK OUT THEN FILLED IT TO THE BRIM PUT IN THE PLUNGER AND LET THE EXESS FLOW OVER THE SIDES THEN NITROGEN CHARGED IT

RODE ALL WEEKEND HITTING 60' JUMP'S PERFECTLY WELL UNTILL MY CHAIN GOT A HOLE OF THE LINE GOING TO THE RES ANG RIPPED IT TO SHREADS LOOK'S LIKE I'LL DO THIS PROCESS ONE MORE TIME

fearlessfred
06-01-2010, 06:01 PM
practice makes perfect,just wondering how far u pushed the rezzy piston ( plunger) into the bore

dustin_j
06-02-2010, 08:54 AM
I've been bottoming out the floating piston in my Elka reservoirs. What height have others used, and what tools did you use to measure position?

I've figured that using the maximum amount of nitrogen would be best, to reduce the change in "air spring" as much as possible. The air spring changes due to shaft position (travel) and temperature.

fearlessfred
06-02-2010, 11:56 AM
thats why i was asking,my old ohlins i use to run had a specific place to set them and a tool to hold them in that position while assembling the other end. i dont know were the elkas are set, but if they were pushed just far enough to get the end cap on that would not be good. there would be know effect from the compression adjuster. if it were set about 2/3rds down it would have an effect on rebound. i would think that would be good