PDA

View Full Version : Reusable oil filters..are they wroth it?

jjv101
05-26-2010, 12:55 AM
Looking at spending the money up front on a reusable oil filter, rather than having to spend $10+ every time on change my oil on a filter. Just wondering if anyone runs these? how they work? and if they are worth the $$

Thanks

Sjorge450R
05-26-2010, 04:28 AM
some people i know use them. THey use carb cleaner to clean them, which scares me because then the filter has carb cleaner on it, then you put it in the engine and whala, you oil has carb cleaner in it now.

I'll stick to my $4 emigo or RMATV brand filters.

DnB_racing
05-26-2010, 10:00 AM
I was looking at them also. The one that I was looking at was ready comp flow with billet cover. I think as long as its cleaned properly and inspected each cleaning it will be fine, Im going to get one my next pay check, unless someone says they are complete junk.

Flynbryan19
05-26-2010, 10:49 AM
I don't care how good you clean it... you'll never get all the particles/contamination out of those filters. Filters are cheap insurance to a long life motor. I'll just keep buying disposable filters. Its not worth it.

quad9
05-27-2010, 03:27 PM
and after cleanning them a few times the glue that holds the "screen" to the base will come apart.. my buddy just went through that...

jlrenken
05-27-2010, 04:00 PM
ive been using one for the last 2 years and i tare my motor down twice a year and pump looks good and the filter looks like it when i got it. just my 2 cents. and after u use carb cleaner u blow it off with a air hose. i havent notice any leftover crap in mine after a clean.

Dave400ex
05-27-2010, 04:06 PM
I've used one all last season and it is still in there this year, no issues and they are actually suppose to filter better. I do use some type of cleaner to clean it out and then blow it out with the air hose. When my engine was gone through over the winter he said my internals looked almost like new. I do change my oil every 2-3 hours though.

kenny450er
05-27-2010, 04:39 PM
i buy mine by the case drops the price to about 6 bucks apiece from carquest auto parts. IMO their is no such thing as a reuseable oil filter throw the old one away put in a new one. and the oil filters from carquest come with a new o-ring.

desratt
05-27-2010, 04:58 PM
use contact cleaner not carb cleaner

ss440ex
05-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
I don't care how good you clean it... you'll never get all the particles/contamination out of those filters. Filters are cheap insurance to a long life motor. I'll just keep buying disposable filters. Its not worth it.

X2
And hope you insepect it good, and don`t miss any little rips/tears.

I use new ones every time.

quad9
05-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by ss440ex
X2
And hope you insepect it good, and don`t miss any little rips/tears.

I use new ones every time.

exactly.. new filter everytime.
oil change every race..

Rootar
05-30-2010, 01:06 AM
ive used one fore the last 3 years... no problems. i change oil after every single ride (wether its entire day at the track or just one hour at my house i change it) as for the filter i only pull it out to check it when i check my valves (6 hours or 6 oil changes) most of the time ill take the filter over to the parts washer and flush it from the inside out with the hose, then dry it and back in it goes.

pretty handy if you ask me but then agian i change my oil so often it prolly doesnt matter...