PDA

View Full Version : wireing fan. couple more questions

250rforlife
05-25-2010, 06:37 PM
ok well im gana buy a 4 inch spall fan for my stock oil cooler. im asked some questions already and i have just a couple more questions. does the spal fan come with a adapted to hook up from the fan harness? do i have to use a ground with a switch? if so how to do it? and if anyone could would someone be able to make me a complet harness for making a fan work. i mean the fuze line, switch, ground, and wire to the battery, and spal fan?

CJM
05-25-2010, 07:28 PM
It has a ground and a hot wire on it.

Wire it like this:

Hot wire from battery, to fuse, use 5 or 10amp fuse, then to hot lead on switch, then wire to fan.

You can ground the fan out to any good unpainted metal surface, the battery, the starter, somewhere on the frame, etc.

You will need (the name escapes me atm) those little clips they sell at any auto parts store and clip the end of the spal fan plug off and crimp them on there.

beags86
05-25-2010, 08:22 PM
no no no, its always better to switch the ground side, and if you wanted to save wiring splice into a hot wire under the gas tank. not what i would do, but you could. a better way would be to splice into a hot wire under the tank and use a relay.

CJM
05-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Its a less than a 5 amp draw, like 2 amps at most.

IDK, always wired it exactly the way I talked about and NEVER had any issues. I would use a relay in this situation if it was warranted but its not enough power to bother with.

guenther
05-25-2010, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Its a less than a 5 amp draw, like 2 amps at most.

IDK, always wired it exactly the way I talked about and NEVER had any issues. I would use a relay in this situation if it was warranted but its not enough power to bother with.

Did mine exactly the same way and no problems in almost a year. I use 3A fuses and the only time they blow is if something gets caught in the fan blades.

beags86
05-25-2010, 10:48 PM
yeah yeah yeah i thought that would get a few people worked up, running the switch on the high side driver is fine, but it really not the best way to do it. i am sure a ton of people run it that way without problems, but that doesn't mean it's the best way. in my opinion.

guenther
05-25-2010, 11:04 PM
Who got "worked up?"

mtrombla08
05-25-2010, 11:59 PM
i ran my fan straight off the the starter relay. well i put an in line fuse in and put a 3 amp in it. it kept blownig so i put a 5 in. same thing. then i put a 15 amp in. it hasnt blown sence. is that too high to have in it?

guenther
05-26-2010, 08:37 AM
15A seem like an awfully big fuse for the fan but I'm not 100% sure. You might want to try wiring direct to the battery (only a couple more feet of wire) and put in a smaller fuse. If it were me I'd be worried about a spike that isn't big enough to blow the fuse but the fan instead. Again, I'm not 100% sure on the amp rating of the fan but you could probably find out via a Google search. Just my $0.02

ballerchaos
05-26-2010, 06:19 PM
its not that hard, run 12 guage to your batery to the fan, and then run a ground to the switch then complete the ground to the battery you wanna make or use a actualy relay harness, a hid hatness i guess you can convert to do what you want, like if you no long use ur head light. just wire it off of the switch to.

paganmac_10
05-26-2010, 07:45 PM
When I wired mine, I spliced into the key on power, then into a fuse, then to the fan. I put the switch on the ground side, that way even if the switch is on and I turn the key off the fan won't run unless the 4 wheelers running.... got a 5 amp fuse and I haven't blown it..