PDA

View Full Version : Ds 450x Hard Start At Times!!!

805ds
05-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Took my ds 450x out this weekend and after a few runs it became hard to start!!like no fuel! took some cranking and started but never took this long!Even after getting home,crank ed for a while a few times but long cranks then it started!!!
Any ideas?????:eek2:
Its pretty much stock,motoboss slip on,cut pink wire,modified filter cover...

ds450xracer
05-25-2010, 10:50 PM
How many hours do you have on it? May be time for a valve adjustment

805ds
05-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Well no quite sure,but,I would imagine about 1000 baja style miles!!!I run and race desert,so I have used it for prerrunning.
I will give the valave adjustment a shot!Thanks!!;)

TNT
05-26-2010, 11:54 AM
I’d begin by having the battery load tested, then pull the Idle Air Control Valve and clean the air passages but take care not to move the piston it damages easy. You could jump the starter and solenoid see if it starts faster that tell you something…..You should hear your fuel pump turn on within 5 secs of turning the ignition on, it will build pressure for start, if not replace the fuel relay on left looking to the rear or clean the contacts. See if theres any difference starting in gear w/clutch pulled vs neutral. Try that let me know.

805ds
05-26-2010, 01:41 PM
OK!! I will try this tonight!!

TNT
05-26-2010, 04:03 PM
More I think of it probably not the IACV unless it's idling irratic but would not hurt to clean it. I can't remember if the fuel relay is on right or left but swap the two outers middle too just to eliminate the possibility. Not a bad idea to just replace them they go out often, autozone cheap.

Also here is a post on starting issues I saved, got tired of rewriting it for folks...it may shed some light.

Here’s what the manual says at the beginning about intermittent ignition problems,

In dealing with intermittent problems there is no easy diagnosis. Problems that occur only during normal engine operations may be related to vibrations, or the engine operating temps, and have to be tested under similar conditions. Some intermittent problems may be attributable to loose, dirty, or corroded connections, or water infiltration, and may be resolved by cleaning the contacts and applying di-electirc grease for protection. Always check for these problems before replacing expensive components.

Multiple Problems : There is always the possibility of more than one component being at fault. If after a component has been replaced the problem still exist, carefully repeat the testing procedure to find the other component fault.

Components to check are,

1. Ignition switch ( wakes up ECU of intent to start) check connector
2. Engine Stop switch (when set to run connects ignition switch to ECU)
3.Spark Plugs (fouled if misfiring or irregular) ( check for wet or black carbon)
4. Battery
5. Main relay(middle one)
6. Ignition coils (check connections) and wires
7. CPS (Crank Position Sensor) check connector.
8. ECU (check connections) (pin connector faults cause no fire, check entire harness)
9. Neutral switch
10. Clutch switch.
11. Fuel/main relay intermittent

Check the obvious first, battery, fouled plugs, connections, you'll elimnate the clutch and nuetral switch by trying to start w and w/o clutch/neutral like I said last post. Jump the starter by-pass the solenoid will tell us if it's bad or the battery(cranking amps)...Try all that then we'll go from there.