PDA

View Full Version : lowering without widening?

danthrop
05-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Hey guys, I'm on a tight budget and was wondering if it is even possible. I would like to lower my z so it doesnt seem so high and easier to handle, but I dont want it wider because of where I mostly ride is tight trails and woods. Is this possible without spending a crap-ton on suspension mods. Most lowering stuff i see, widens about 2". I'm not sure, but I'm just guessing 2" will cut down my speed through woods because of clipping stuff and maybe cause some serious damage up front anyhow.

fmftrx300ex
05-25-2010, 12:25 PM
soften ur spring pre load its free, it will sit lower and ride alil softer

fearlessfred
05-25-2010, 01:58 PM
x2 u will need a little pre load on the springs to keep them from clanken around . as long as u are not bottoming out every were

destey
05-26-2010, 05:42 PM
I'm in the same boat as op. I weigh 180 and have the front preloads all the way soft and it still sits very high, has never bottomed out and doesn't seem like it even uses much of the range.

cut off a little of the spring?

fearlessfred
05-26-2010, 06:25 PM
cutting off any of the spring would have made the spring stiffer and prob. didnt lower the front end any. a stock spring is progressivly wound and the softer part is at the ends ,more so on the end were the coils are closer together

John Noftsinger
05-31-2010, 09:25 AM
They make lowering kits that aren,t that expensive.

cataway
05-31-2010, 12:31 PM
i've done it ya it bumps once in awhile much faster on corners

danthrop
05-31-2010, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by John Noftsinger
They make lowering kits that aren,t that expensive.

all the lowering kits i see are always widening 2" in the front. My preload is all the way out already it didnt lower too much. i just put new tires on it and went with 21 instead of 22 for the front. I'll just deal with it. Its still a bit top heavy but not as bad.

Scro
05-31-2010, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by danthrop
all the lowering kits i see are always widening 2" in the front. My preload is all the way out already it didnt lower too much. i just put new tires on it and went with 21 instead of 22 for the front. I'll just deal with it. Its still a bit top heavy but not as bad.

Do you have a link to those kits? I've never seen a lowering kit make a quad wider.

MIZZOUrider89
05-31-2010, 08:39 PM
No offense bro, but I have never seen a widening kit not make it lower, lowering it lifts the A Arms up which spreads em out. Hince widening it..

Scro
06-01-2010, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by MIZZOUrider89
No offense bro, but I have never seen a widening kit not make it lower, lowering it lifts the A Arms up which spreads em out. Hince widening it..

I don't consider that widening. The same thing happens when you compress your shocks without the widening kit. Yes, it may be wider at ride height without moving. But while you are riding, all that is going to change anyway, with or without a lowering kit. It's just a sales gimmick.

Guess it just depends on what your definition of widening is.

danthrop
06-01-2010, 10:21 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Adjustable-Lowering-Kit-Front-Rear-Suzuki-LTZ-400-/290433977894?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item439f36ce26

for instance say this kit states it widens(its metric 5cm) but for reference. So is that not true in saying that by spreading the a-arms out when you lower the quad it isn';t going to stick the wheels out further? just curious, cuz if not i will do that. but i really dont want the quad wider just a hair lower in stance for cornering and handling purposes

MIZZOUrider89
06-01-2010, 10:26 AM
I have those on my Z right now, and they do widen a few inches but nothing that should be a problem trail riding. I have +2 A Arms and the lowering kit, so im about +4 total and I can still trail ride with no problem at all.

fearlessfred
06-01-2010, 10:38 AM
as the suspension goes thru its travel at some point it is as wide as the kit stated,but that is true with or without the kit. there is no actual gain in width by lowering

danthrop
06-01-2010, 11:31 AM
i had thought that maybe if it were bottomed out it would possibly be at the width stated but as you are running through the trails it wouldnt be, but was unsure. thanks for the help all, i'll try these and see how they workout for me.

sd1
06-01-2010, 03:19 PM
those kits really are not for trail riding at all or any type of rough terrain or jumping..they are designed for drag racing and tt racing....if you do decide to go with the kit and shop around a a bit..I think you will find you can get both parts for about half of that sellers price......also be very carefull on lowering the rear and make sure you have clearance on the muffler..ive seen people tweak their mufflers bad from the brake caliper coming up and hitting it....and since the front links move, when you get nose light the shocks really hammer those links....and your a-arms

sorry if I seem to have a lot of negative feedback on this but im really trying to save you some money and headaches...

heres a video with the lowering kit on and you can see the clearance issues I was talking about video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcLku0UHoRs)

danthrop
06-01-2010, 09:37 PM
that kit was just a reference i hit real fast for the site. i dont really want it 3.5" because that would be way to much for my needs. im thinking if i could get the whole thing down maybe 2 max that would be good. To be honest for the money I have to spend on it, im weighing all options to see what is best. may just hold off this year and wait to upgrade all suspension component til next for what i ride and how often. im no racer by any means just a weekend warrior with some buds in surrounding woods.

joselito442
06-01-2010, 09:40 PM
yes he is right this kit are suck for trail ,it make the quad look good for drag racing but to hard to ride in trail,i just use my one ride after paid 85$ for the kit . i will not recomendet to any quad for trail.:

John Noftsinger
06-03-2010, 05:50 PM
I dont know why you worry about it being wide! its not that bad on trails! I ride east coast PA,MD ,WV etc never had problem with tight trails and if there that tight why ride them?So you can go 3-5mph all day .I ride 49 in wide and only a few time have had to slow down to get thought trees Unless your racing its better to be wide IMO you turn better than the rest of the guys you ride with that aren,t wide and you get faster .AND you have better center of gravity (Does,t tip!).

Scro
06-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by John Noftsinger
I dont know why you worry about it being wide! its not that bad on trails! I ride east coast PA,MD ,WV etc never had problem with tight trails and if there that tight why ride them?So you can go 3-5mph all day .I ride 49 in wide and only a few time have had to slow down to get thought trees Unless your racing its better to be wide IMO you turn better than the rest of the guys you ride with that aren,t wide and you get faster .AND you have better center of gravity (Does,t tip!).

You physically wouldn't fit down some of our practice trails at 49 inches.:p

sd1
06-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Scro
You physically wouldn't fit down some of our practice trails at 49 inches.:p
LOL Scro....good point....and I really like your quote in your sig :D

kawasakiracer
06-03-2010, 08:09 PM
+1 a-arms with triple rate Elkas and Hi-Gear suspensions " twisted" dual rate rear spring kit with 0 preload....and a pep linkage............low and and wont beat you to death. DO NOT GET ONE OF THOSE LOWERING KITS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!