PDA

View Full Version : Hinson's new billet steel clutch baskets

Rootar
05-25-2010, 12:29 AM
I know im not supposed to double post but NOBODY visits the proper section of the forum where i already posted this so maybe it would get a couple more views in here.

Just wondering if anyone had one yet or what you guys think about them. I was planning on ordering one for my crf itd definetly be the last basket id ever have to buy plus it would be that much nicer on a built motor or a big bore, all the dirtbike test look great and every likes it so far, i think it even won in its debut race.

400exrider707
05-25-2010, 07:45 AM
Were riders having issues with the aluminum ones on the market? I always thought these were kind of a joke on the newer bikes. Back in the day when the 250R one's were breaking ALL the time, they NEEDED these. I guess they're good insurance now, but why a billet steel one? Seems like overkill? Are people breaking them?

TNT
05-25-2010, 07:54 AM
Aluminum is approx 1/3 the density of steel find out what the weight difference is for your particular quad and I tell ya what I think. If heavier and harder I have to wonder what the impact would be to the motor and surrounding structure.

I think Hinson's bigger issues is the use of aluminum rivets to attach the gear to the basket and the machining around them....grade A steel bolts w/b better w/machine bosses as BCS does. If they do use steel I would expect not to see weak aluminum rivets and the bosses/pads may not matter depending on the thickness/design. The steel gear side would be a good interface, again aluminum hubs especially ones that don't fit up well to a steel basket be my concern, most hubs are weak al castings that don’t interface well to hard steel in torque applications. An ALL steel basket/hub properly designed steel/friction plates as an assemble make better sense to me that was tested to a life cycle, unless you see a fatigue life cycle test on a bench that gives hours to ultimate failure on their website or written in warrantee means nothing.

I never heard of a Hinson aluminum basket failing the material itself, many aluminum baskets put a surface finish such as hard anodize anyway, and I'd have to wonder how heavier more dense steel would interact with aluminum hubs and motor......Don't just go off the test results, time will tell quad clutches interact with the tyranny, gear box, and drive train different than bikes there’s no comparison imo. Not saying steel is bad, just questioning the weight, reliability, cost, and need (sales hype).

Rootar
05-25-2010, 12:16 PM
the extra weight is the whole point... I believe they weigh almost 2 pounds over the aluminum baskets. but the weight is closer to center compared to a heavier flywheel so you cant compare it directly to a heavier flywheel.

Its basically adding a heavier flywheel weight when your upgrading your clutch basket.... even stronger than other baskets at the same time it would smooth out power a little bit making a built motor a little more rideable.

protraxrptr17
05-25-2010, 01:53 PM
To each his own, but I want least rotating mass as possible. Why build a fast engine only to slow it down with a heavy weight?

Rootar
05-25-2010, 02:35 PM
good point zeb but i dont want another "fast" motor i want a big torquey motor ;) Im thinking bigbore/stroker crf510 or something along those lines....

TNT
05-25-2010, 03:12 PM
It’s kinda like a light weight yo-yo vs a heavier one, the heavier one has more moment of inertia and stays in motion once set in motion has more control to do tricks. There’s pro and cons, a heavier flywheel is harder to accelerate; the heavier flywheel carries speed further but is also hard to slow down. Too much flywheel weight will make the quad hard to move around corners.

The flywheel weight has to consider all the rotating mass in the engine, clutch, gears, wheels, and how the crank counterbalances them. For Hinson to say they have made these determinations on all modded engines is a far stretch of the imagination.

On the other hand, light four stroke flywheels can lead to quicker revs horrendous stalling problems the OEM’s don’t always get it right. If you have a snappy quad a heavier flywheel can make it faster since it smoothes out the transfer of power, excess spin, power is delivered more consistently in a more conservative manner. Heavier flywheels will slow the acceleration and the way the power comes but not reduce HP, can make it feel less twitchy, keep the tires hooked up, less bounce or spin, easier to control. Light helps with dirt starts, heavier on concrete, etc...you get the pic.

So I’d say the answer depends on your quad and whether you need to tame down some ponies or not.