PDA

View Full Version : 06 450er wont idle with choke off

mhewitt
05-24-2010, 09:10 PM
ok so i just bought an 06 450er and the seller told me the starter was burned up so i pull started it with my golfcart but couldnt get it to run unless i held the choke out. if i would let go of the choke it would start running rough and would cut off. he said he hasnt rejetted it but it has a rossier slip on. also said he never had a problem with the quad idling. any ideas?

Scro
05-25-2010, 09:21 AM
You need to rejet. The Rossier is causing it to run lean. With the choke on, it's letting more fuel in. Are you running with lid on or off? If you are running no lid (which I recommend), a 50 pilot, 175 main, second clip from bottom on needle, and 2.5 turns out on the fuel screw will get you close to where you need to be.

mhewitt
05-25-2010, 07:01 PM
thanks for the help man but he actually broke the slip on section of the pipe off so im trying to get an oem exhaust. if i do wouldnt that mean that i can leave the carb alone?

mhewitt
05-25-2010, 07:02 PM
i had the lid still on with brand new uni filter

Scro
05-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by mhewitt
thanks for the help man but he actually broke the slip on section of the pipe off so im trying to get an oem exhaust. if i do wouldnt that mean that i can leave the carb alone?

Possibly. I would still run the fuel screw 2.5 turns out. These machines are very lean from the factory to pass emission restrictions, and honestly don't run smooth with the factory setup. If you are wanting to stay close to stock, atleast install an HRC kit. It helps tremendously.

mhewitt
05-25-2010, 07:19 PM
im pretty sure the headpipe is still stock because it still has heatshield

mhewitt
05-27-2010, 06:01 PM
turned the screw out 2.5 turns and i wouldnt even idle with choke on. turned it back in 1.5 turns n runs better than before but still not idling with choke off. is there a way to turn the scrw without taking carb off? because thats the only way i could get the tool too it and was frustrating! also i took bowl off and saw 3 jets they were 42, 75, 120. also have an fmf power up jet kit not installed but it comes with a 120,124,18, and 132. but from what you said these arent big enough? what comes in the carb stock? this carb is keihin but says fcr allover it is that stock?

Baileygunns
05-28-2010, 12:54 AM
Sounds like the previous owner let it sit to long and the pilot/slow jet is gunked up. Get some carb cleaner and go through the carb real good, cleaning all the jets.

I wouldn't put the FMF jet kit in. Those are the same as the Dyno Jet kit and aren't the most use friendly on these bikes. There is a brass plug you put into an air passage and that's why they come with smaller jets. Find an HRC kit or one that uses Keihin jets.

mhewitt
05-28-2010, 08:07 AM
o i will try that today but when i took the jets out to read the numbers they looked clean, also which one is the pilot jet? im new to carbs so explain in detail please. is there afree shop manual i can download from anywhere?

Baileygunns
05-28-2010, 12:15 PM
06 and up manual (http://www.filefront.com/13907248/06trx450rSM.zip)

Looking clean and being clean are 2 diffrent things. When you pull the pilot jet out and look at it you will see how little it would take to gunk it up. The manual calls tht pilot jet a slow jet. Looking at the bottom of your carb the main jet will be the big one in the center and the pilot will be right next to it off center.