PDA

View Full Version : dual spring worth it?

goldfish
05-24-2010, 03:09 PM
So I got a pair of stock 450r shocks for the 400 and sent them away to GThunder.

My terminology might be off because I don't really know a lot about suspension stuff but here is my situation and I am hoping someone on here can enlighten me.

$110 - Revalved. Guy said that this will have little to no gains.

$225 - Not sure exactly how this differs from the $110 package but the guy said that if your on a budget this is the way to go..but they are more likely to bottom out.

$410 - Everything as $225 I think plus they are dual-rate therefore eliminating the bottoming out issue.

I do 95% woods/trails/harescramble.

Anyone have prior experience with GThunder and their pricing, and what is included an each price range? Which one should I go with?:confused:

CJM
05-24-2010, 03:36 PM
Personally if you only ride in the woods/trails I wouldnt send them off to be redone.

I slapped a set on my 400 and love them vs stock and I weigh 200lbs.

My friends 275 and finds them fine too.

goldfish
05-24-2010, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Personally if you only ride in the woods/trails I wouldnt send them off to be redone.

I slapped a set on my 400 and love them vs stock and I weigh 200lbs.

My friends 275 and finds them fine too.

I remember reading on the forum that yes they ARE an improvement over the stock 400 shocks. But are a little stiff for general woods riding and should be tweaked by someone like GThunder to make them better for your weight and riding style.

I got them for relatively cheap and I figured that since they're already off the bike and boxed up I might as well send them off to get a little bit more out of them.

I hope that I read that stuff right because GThunder already has my shocks.

CJM
05-24-2010, 03:50 PM
I think you will be fine.

I woulda tested them out before you sent them off, but thats me.

I like the ride a bit stiffer anyways, to soft and it feels like it wants to roll to much when cornering.

goldfish
05-24-2010, 05:21 PM
ok well thanks for the input..does anyone have any other input? I gotta let them know tomorrow morning what I want to do.

Muzzgit
05-24-2010, 09:45 PM
I would just get them fresh up by GTT. When you put them on the bike soften the compression see how they go.

There is an excellent thread on these pages about 450R shocks on a 400 and there is some good tips to set them up.

Try here

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=434730&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

I have the 450R shoicks on mine and find them better than the stockers but I also have +2+1 A-Arms.

dustin_j
05-25-2010, 09:20 AM
Are you redoing your rear shock and getting a linkage? If you aren't fixing the rear, and you're only trail riding, you'll probably be fine with the stock 450r springs. Just tune to find what works best for you.

The dual rate spring setup allows you to have a low ride height (high sag), while still having bottoming resistance (stiffness during large impacts). While both springs are supporting the quad, you have a lower spring rate. Then, when your crossovers bottom out, only the main spring is engaged, and you have a higher spring rate. If you don't mess with the rear shock, you'll have a nice ride up front and hate the rear.

goldfish
05-25-2010, 12:07 PM
No I don't have the intention of getting the linkage as of now. Although I'm reading a lot of good things about it. So I might have to consider it pretty soon.

I am mostly riding woods. But when I am I am riding pretty aggresively to keep up with the 700's and 450's in my group and also I also am racing harescrambles. Both types of riding I just get beat to hell. Whereas the guys with better suspension are fine.

dustin_j
05-25-2010, 01:46 PM
I love the linkage and revalve on my bike (GTT mx link)! It eliminated the bucking, and the overall ride is so much better. Also, it stays planted much better for holeshots and coming out of corners.

If your're racing harescrambles, I'd do yourself a favor and do the springs and revalve on the front, and the linkage, spring, and revalve on the rear. You'll enjoy the race so much more and be a lot faster! Just my opinion after seeing the light ;)

-TheDude-
05-25-2010, 05:04 PM
easy answer yes

uplander56
05-26-2010, 07:49 AM
This video kinda explains what they do for the $410 on your fronts... you're going to get a lower stance, with more clearance, by way of them going it and reworking the interior of the shocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3t6f76v-ls

Rear is the same thing, with the linkage and rework of shock I believe.

goldfish
05-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by uplander56
This video kinda explains what they do for the $410 on your fronts... you're going to get a lower stance, with more clearance, by way of them going it and reworking the interior of the shocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3t6f76v-ls

Rear is the same thing, with the linkage and rework of shock I believe.

thanks for the link, having a visual representation of what all the terms mean helped a lot.

sc400ex_rider
05-27-2010, 02:17 PM
you can also back the spring preload collars all the way off to. this will lower the spring rate.