PDA

View Full Version : Post rebuild second time...

eprovenzano
05-24-2010, 02:23 AM
I have a 99 400EX. Over the last winter I decided it was time to overhaul the engine. It was still on the original piston and rings, and yes smoked like a 2 stroke. So I had the valves redone, new valve seals etc. I had the cylinder honed, as it was still on the original bore size. A new piston (std size), rings and gasket kit and I put it back together. The never really ran "right". The bike would idle and then you could hear an air escape from the engine, and it would stumble and then it sometimes would stall, or catch itself and go on.

My son rode the bike and it seemed fine. He even commented it ran really well, it even had more power than before the rebuild, and no smoke. Next week he goes for another ride, this time I get the call... "Dad the quad died and won't start". He commented it seemed to get hot and then died. So after dragging the quad home from 2 miles deep in the woods, the tear down began.

Valves were fine; timing was dead on... pull the head, ouch. The piston was not pretty, the rings were stuck, and the cylinder was scored....

So after a through search, and a lot of head scratching, I've concluded the head gasket was the culprit. The layers seemed to have delaminated, and I believe allowed the engine to go lean, and sticking the rings.

Fast forward a few weeks, a fresh overbore of the cylinder (2 over), new OEM gaskets, new piston, and rngs. It now runs smoother than after the 1st rebuild. It idles good, it rev's good, it just seems to run better.

Oh well that's my saga. I've done a few heat cycles, and it should be ready to full bore after one more heat cycle.

Thanks for listening.

F-16Guy
05-24-2010, 06:49 AM
Keep an eye on that head gasket. If you haven't installed heavy duty studs or had inserts installed for the stock studs, one or more of the stock studs will probably pull out and cause the gasket to leak again. Mine blew after a couple of hours on the first rebuild. I didn't know any better, so I just put a new gasket in it. Everything torqued down okay and it ran fine for a while, but after about an hour of run time, it blew again. I had GT Thunder put a set of studs in, and it's been fine ever since.

eprovenzano
05-28-2010, 05:43 PM
My son finally had a chance to take the quad for a quick ride around the house. Dad something is not right. Its not runniing right. Hey son, try turning the choke off.. dumb arse.... (I love summer jobs... he's working 6 days a week for a contractor pouring concrete in 90 degree heat... so I'll give him a pass this time) Flip the choke off, Holy crap this thing runs great... It really runs good.... definatly better then before the rebuild.

Just a life lesson, check the simple things 1st.

MtnEX
05-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Wait a minute now...

What is the deal exactly with the studs again. Never having mine apart I really don't understand...

All I recall was making a mental note these would be needed with a 440 kit?

Please explain in detail to a dummy...