PDA

View Full Version : Hot Cams/DRZ/Valves-Part 1

Minndave13
05-23-2010, 10:30 PM
I have a 2006 Z400 that I thought I would share about. I bought new and decided to install some mods after getting a Edelbrock Carb for trade for my stock carb. I put together some new parts, got everything and am now in the process of installing the mods. First I am starting with the engine, starting with a DRZ Kit I tore the top and side apart. I installed a new base gasket along with new rings. Note: I took the clutch basket off to replace the cam chain (Some said to just pull off the cam gear put I couldn't see how this could be done so I pulled the basket instead). Since I am putting in stronger springs I also replaced the valves, now I looked on here how to take the valves apart (cheap spring compressor) but couldn't find out how. So I came up with a way, I took a 2 inch by 1 inch piece of pipe and a six inch C clamp and made my own tool. I cut a slot 1 1/4 by 3/4 in the pipe and made my own spring compressor. Got valves and springs replaced easily. Installed cams, checking clearances between lobes and cups, found two out of clearance (at 2.95 each I bought from my dealer- alot cheaper than the 65.00 for the whole shim kit on ebay). Rechecked clearances and torque specks, assembled rest of the motor, installed temp carb, and checked fluids and topped off. Z started right up, I set Idle at 3000 and let run for 30 minutes to break in the new hot cams. I did have a couple of set backs but nothing to major, just remember to check your work your not in a race. The biggest problem I encountered was the valve issue stated above. Now I will recheck valve clearances (tomorrow) and finish with the motor mods then I will work on installing the Eddy and Dyna Cdi. Note- I am doing one step at a time so I can make sure each step is working before I move on to the next (it sure would suck to install everything and have something not work then try to figure out what is wrong- imagine if I had to take the top of the engine back off after installing all of the mods I am planning on). I am planning on doing a air box mod along with the Eddy, I am also installing a LEXX muffler and am planning on installing a pro circuit header. My plan is to do these mods on a budget but to try to make a 450 buster but to keep my quad looking stock (sleeper). Fact here in this forum will anyone ever really know what I have put into my quad. Doing good so far, hope the rest goes good to. Will post later on how everything went. Minndave13

juice420
05-23-2010, 10:39 PM
About that Lexx, it's a good silencer for the price. I was wondering if the powerbomb or the pro circuit header would fit the Lexx. I guess you just answered my question. Is there a specific reason why your going with the pro circuit instead of the Powerbomb??

Minndave13
05-23-2010, 11:38 PM
Actually I haven't checked if the head pipe will fit the muffler. I live in a large metro area and am a former farm boy. I just figure I will figure out how to get the pipe to work when I receive it. The lexx came with a spacer and hopefully I can remove the spacer and the head pipe will slip right on.(I don't have the head pipe specs to compare). I like the procircuit for the price and also so the average joe will not pick up on that i have replaced the stock pipe ( I thought about putting some header wrap on the new pipe and welding some heat guard taps on the pipe so I can reinstall the heat guard). Just some Ideas I'm playing with. Minndave13:p

juice420
05-24-2010, 12:55 AM
Yeh, they won't be able to see any mods but the Lexx:uhoh:
Also all you have to do is remove that spacer to fit the PC header. I was thinking of getting a powerbomb, they have em' on JCmotors right now for $172.

350ex
05-24-2010, 08:04 PM
Im sure you will love the difference. I like the bump in compression in combo with the cams. I was worried I would lose bottom end with the setup but it seems significantly stronger throughout the powerband.