PDA

View Full Version : Growing tires question.

CarGuy7a
05-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Ok so I've got a problem with my rear Razrs.

I measured the circumference of both tires and my left rear tire is 1/2 inch smaller than my right rear. So I figured ok no problem I'll just grow it to make it larger to match the other side.

So I aired that sucker up to about 30psi and layed the heat to it. I tried a butane torch and a heat gun to no avail. The tire is just too large of a tire for the heating devices I have. So I said ok I'll just wait for a nice hot day and lay it out in the sun.

Well that day came today. It was 85 and the sun was scorching. So I put 30 psi in it and let it sit in the sun for about 5 to 6 hours intermittently flipping the tire to evenly heat it. The tire did get pretty hot and I figured cool this will work. I moved the tire inside to cool and went to go eat supper. Came back out to let the air out and see if the size came up any which it didn't. It didn't even grow 1/16th of an inch.

This just baffles me because I've grown so many tires like this and it worked and got to the size I wanted.

Any tips? I need to get this tire grown to match the other because when I wheelie it pulls real bad to the small tire side. Also when I hit jumps it jacks the rear end all out of shape.

This tire is a 6 ply (which may be why it will not grow).

Anything else I should try to get this sucker to grow?

Sorry about the long post.

guenther
05-23-2010, 09:10 PM
I just went through the same thing with a X-rex to no avail. 6ply tires are just tough as heck. I even had mine aired up to 65psi for a week trying to stretch it out. GBC, the maker of the X-rex, ended up giving me a new tire for the one that was too big. A half inch makes a huge difference in tire size and my quad would instantly pull sideways when I mashed on the throttle. I doubt you're going to be able to make a difference by trying to stretch it out.

CarGuy7a
05-23-2010, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by guenther
I just went through the same thing with a X-rex to no avail. 6ply tires are just tough as heck. I even had mine aired up to 65psi for a week trying to stretch it out. GBC, the maker of the X-rex, ended up giving me a new tire for the one that was too big. A half inch makes a huge difference in tire size and my quad would instantly pull sideways when I mashed on the throttle. I doubt you're going to be able to make a difference by trying to stretch it out.

That sucks. But then again after so many failed attempts, I figured I wouldn't get any permanent results.

No doubt those 6 plies are tuff tires. My quad sat all winter and both tires had 0psi in them and didn't look one bit flat.

My razrs have been on there a couple of years and are far from wearing out. I doubt I could get replacement this late. Plus they don't even make the standard razr in a 6ply anymore.

Oh well I guess I'll have to live with it.

05-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Maybe you forgot to add water :P