PDA

View Full Version : Why do you (HONESTLY) feel that quads are superior vs. dirtbikes?

Brauap
05-23-2010, 07:15 PM
I want do know from your P.O.V. why do you (HONESTLY) feel that quads are superior vs. dirtbikes? I am in the market for another off road vechicle and I can not make up my mind which to choose. I have been riding quads all my life and I would race A-B class harescrambles and I would like to get another quad, but my friends and my father feel like I should get a dirt bike because I have "mastered the quad" (Says my father) and my friend says "I want you to get a bike so I can actually hang with you on the trail" however, I'm not so sure.... Please tell me why you feel I should get a quad. Please no smart *** comments.

If I where to get another quad, I would get something similar to the 400EX and I am talking why are bikes superior on the TRAIL; not on the track, desert, etc.

Thank You!

Colton W.

JParisi48
05-23-2010, 07:24 PM
if your old they r easier to handle in the trails, but if your young and can ride a dirtbike, it would be more fun IMO, i just cant ride dirtbikes to save my life and would kill myself before i got good, so thats why i dont ride one.

KFX450Rrider490
05-23-2010, 07:30 PM
lol i just did a report on this just in reversed form of what you thought. i would rather rider quads but bikes are fun. heres parts of my report i have some pretty good points.

As I stated before the motorcycle industry is just well, larger. With an off road based bike you can go anywhere, whether there’s a trail in front of you or not, nothing can stop you. That’s the thing in the world of motorcycles, there is a niche for everyone. You just have so many choices you buy them according to yourself, and not with what you think you can make do with. For example if you ride or race on a motocross track, you buy a motocross bike that fits you. Every manufacturer makes one so you’ve always got plenty of choices. It’s not that there aren’t a lot of quads on the market it’s just that a quad needs to be altered, almost all of the time in order to fit properly to the rider, so it’s just not worth the hassle. Another consideration is that so many other niches are available for you to choose from anything from pit bikes to superbikes, that have 150 horse power. All over the world motorcycles are a lot more popular, and are just way more common than quads will ever be; then starts the racing.
One of my favorite reasons, is that motorcycle racing is so much broader than quad racing, it’s not funny. To set things straight most national series are open to quads and dirt bikes, but that’s only half the fun because that deals with only dirt. They have road races and well everything in between. Like I said before motocross bikes are truly race ready, and can take anything thrown at them in stock trim! Something everyone needs to realize is that it’s not just for dirt, they have road bikes and superbikes that are the same way. With having a larger racing scene a larger aftermarket will follow, and that brings us to our next point.
Something that is growing rapidly with motorcycles is the aftermarket. The aftermarket is growing incredibly, and with this it makes everything better for riders. First off it creates a lot of good competition between manufacturers; competition creates a lot of quality parts for any motorcycle. This may sound like I’m contradicting what I said before, but who doesn’t like to customize their ride. With the competition, not only does it help with performance, but also the price point. The cost of owning a motorcycle is way less than owning a quad. This is especially true if you race, because you need to buy almost twice the amount of parts for a quad, and it adds up really fast. The cost of just building a race bike for any average rider, or racer, is almost half the cost of building a race quad. Even then, a stock bike will run allover a $15,000 quad that was built from the ground up.

honda400ex2003
05-23-2010, 07:31 PM
quads are more widely accepted as a trail riding machine instead of a racing type machine. bikes are superior in just about everything in the way of performance is concerned though. lol. motors are better, more advanced, they are lighter, better suspension and such. atvs are my vote since there are no bike areas around here to ride so atv it is. lol. steve

MX450
05-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Because I like them better :macho

One_Bad_400
05-23-2010, 08:09 PM
more customization.
harder, more of a challenge
the people are nicer lol
although i also have a bike. i enjoy they quad world more.

juice420
05-23-2010, 08:15 PM
When I was 12 I had a old Honda XL80 that my dad bought me. Man I loved that thing...and so did he lol. We brought it home and the first thing we did was tear it down and painted it. It ran like crap but it ran. We couldn't really find too many parts for it. I used to do wheelies on that thing all day long lol. But those days are long gone and I ride quads now. Kinda makes me wanna buy a bike again though. But anyway I agree with everyone else even though I ride quads, bikes just have a bigger following.

CJM
05-23-2010, 08:21 PM
I like quads better, bikes are fun and all but need more skill of course and they are not forgiving like a quad can be.

slightlybent47
05-23-2010, 08:27 PM
I’m not sure if one is better then the other. There just deferent animals, quads, dirt bikes, three wheelers, utv’s. they all do deferent things and shine in there own element.

jcv400ex
05-23-2010, 08:39 PM
I don't think you can duplicate the feeling of pitching your quad into a corner with your *** hangining off the seat with roost flyin....It just doesn't get any better than that.

Trail riding on a quad is easier. On a bike you have to be on your toes and alert all the time. One wet rock or tree root and the front end is sliding out.

DnB_racing
05-23-2010, 08:49 PM
one thing that i like about quads is they handle better is in real soft stuff or deep water or thick mud or snow, the front tire on dirt bikes dont like to track well for long soft surfaces.

jesseweaver
05-23-2010, 08:53 PM
usually when these questions get brought up a lot of quad riders answer and talk about how much better quads are when they've never ridden a bike. listen to the guys who have a lot of experience on both of them.

i think its a lot of personall preference. some people just cant get used to bikes, it is a lot different. i went from quads to bikes and i like it 10 times better. and yea with a bike you always have to be on your toes because it doesn't take much at all to crash. and it happens a lot on a bike, most of the time you just lose the front end and before you know it your laying in the dirt wondering what happened

Brauap
05-23-2010, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
usually when these questions get brought up a lot of quad riders answer and talk about how much better quads are when they've never ridden a bike. listen to the guys who have a lot of experience on both of them.

This is why I had asked almost the same question on TT
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/thread/907920/why-do-you-honestly-feel-that-dirtbikes-are-superior-vs-quads#post_9499089

SRH
05-23-2010, 09:07 PM
only get a bike if thats what your friends ride, bikes are superior to quads...if you can ride one properly...requires far more skill to ride a bike, the only advantage to a quad is there versatility, bikes are cheaper....why not get a ktm 450exc...plate it and ride it with your buds...that would make sense no hassle from the cops for being on the road and something new to learn...if they ride bikes this is the way to go , otherwise get a 400ex an dump a boat load into it to perform at the level a a lever rider would desire or run the piss out of it stock with your quad buddies

05-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Like differet stroke for different folks, dirt bike vs ATV's same thing. I like quads more, more unique, more fun IMO but dirtbikes are faster and you can launch them things crazy

ATVMX33
05-23-2010, 09:23 PM
i have both and i get really bored trail riding a quad so i will take out the bike but on a track i love my quad!

XBLASTERRACERX
05-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Personally I started off on a dirtbike then swithched to a quad and I liked them both but I have truely fallen in love with quad raceing.
To SRH I admit dirtbikes are harder for a regular person to start off rideing but as far as racing goes quads and dirtbikes require an equal amount of skill to go fast on!

SRH
05-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by XBLASTERRACERX
Personally I started off on a dirtbike then swithched to a quad and I liked them both but I have truely fallen in love with quad raceing.
To SRH I admit dirtbikes are harder for a regular person to start off rideing but as far as racing goes quads and dirtbikes require an equal amount of skill to go fast on!

of course both require skill... but until your at the A level of riding...a dirtbike is much more difficult to go fast on

fastredrider44
05-23-2010, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
I have been riding quads all my life and I would race A-B class harescrambles and I would like to get another quad, but my friends and my father feel like I should get a dirt bike because I have "mastered the quad" (Says my father)

I don't want to pick at you, but if you've never raced, chances are that you wouldn't be an A class racer.

I don't feel like I've mastered the quad until I'm a consistent front runner at the GNCCs, and I don't see that happening anytime soon, therefore I still have more work to do.

I grew up on bikes, but always loved fourwheelers more. I still ride both, but if I HAD to pick just one, it'd be a quad, racing or not. Bikes are great, but IMO, I like the feel of a quad more.

DnB_racing
05-23-2010, 10:53 PM
tell your dad that you haven't mastered the quad,and never will master it,no one person ever will, there is always more to learn, when your not learning then your not growing,if your not growing then your going backwards,do your self a favor and understand that everyone can learn something if they want to, It doesnt mater how good you are you can always be better!!

muddy400EX
05-24-2010, 02:18 AM
ya the only person that can say they "mastered something" is the top pro in the world

i ride quads (i have had a bike tho) but if i had a choice to be a good rider on one or the other, i would wanna be a bike rider. it just feels so awkard riding a bike, that i dont even try to ride it to get used to it,lol. i started on quads, wish i woulda started on bikes, cuz they would feel natural then

and i really wanna be that guy that whips the hell out of his bike,haha. even if thats all i could do, i would be happy:macho

krt400ex
05-24-2010, 02:28 PM
i can still seem to ride a quad faster regardless, but a bike is far superior on the trail because you dont have to be picky about your lines like on a quad where you'd normally have to worry about bashing the bottom or swingarm or something. plus, they are much narrower and can go places quads cant. its easier to ma handle one cuz its so much lighter, plus if you get into a sticky situation they are much easier to bail. they are easier to get around obstacles and much easier to turn around on a tight trail. plus, if you get stuck on a hill, they will just flop over most of the time instead of taking a tumble and costing you aot of money in damages. the only thing you can break on a bike often is really the bars and levers. which arent expensive compared to a arms, axles, rims, steering stems, rear discs, etc. there is so much more to ruin on a quad in the woods than on a bike.

maintenance is cheaper. you got only two tires to replace, not 4. bearings dont go bad as often (in my experience). oil changes are easier and more accesable, brakes are easier to change, and the pads dont wear out as quickly, the rims are stronger and dont bend nearly as easily. the suspension is set up better from the factory(unless you wanna buy full race suspension for the quad to compete with the stock stuff on the bike). if you buy 2 stroke, its so much cheaper and easier to do an engine. can replace a whole top end in two hrs, and you can tear it apart in the pits at the track if you need to.

the benefits to a bike far outweigh the benefits to the quad, but imo it all comes down to what you are faster on(as long as you have the finances to maintain it). because if you are racing, the faster rider is gonna place better. bottom line.

Regular_Joe
05-24-2010, 02:59 PM
If you still have a quad and have never had a bike, then get a bike. It will be all new and make it fun. You'll get to learn everything all over again ... roosting, wheelies, cornering, etc.

k4f5x0r
05-24-2010, 03:14 PM
dirtbike

pros- easy to get fast on, more competitive easier, more power, bang for your buck

cons- scarier to ride, harder to be confident on, less predictible

Quads:

pros- easy to get confident and consistent on a quad, less positions to worry about, less balancing.

cons-expensive to race, not race ready, always need more power, bad rep.

trick450r
05-24-2010, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by One_Bad_400
more customization.
harder, more of a challenge
the people are nicer lol
although i also have a bike. i enjoy they quad world more.

X2
I own both and i must say that when it comes to trail riding, quads earn their reputation of being easy and safe compared to bikes. But when it comes to racing/ being fast on a quad IMO not only are they much harder to master but also WAY more dangerous than the bikes.

rbgnwa45
05-24-2010, 03:58 PM
I prefer a dirtbike because...

When you're on a trail and there are deepish ruts, even with no mud, it's harder to navigate 4 tires and you'll always get some handlebar feedback going sideways through a rut to get to another side. x10 if it's a 650lbs utility. I never liked that, hurts my hands. Dirtbike suspension is far more forgiving.

Ground clearance is important on the trails so unless you have an AC or something beastly tall you might as well get a bike, unless you're going mudding or doing work. A dirtbike can fit between trail ruts easier and it's got zippy handling. I want to go fast and slightly change direction without using much muscle.

I havn't seen many liquid cooled dirtbike engines overheat in the woods while a (utility) quads fan turns on going slow down the road. For most of the 125 cylinders I've touched after 20-40 minutes they're still cool.

On a quad I won't go off jumps unless they're pefectly centered. They usually aren't. I'll jump anything on a bike if it's got a nice landing, usually.

Bikes made me more confident and quads feel scarier. Power output doesn't count because you're the one that controls it. It can be scary if the power comes on quick.

I prefer a quad because...

When driving through tall grass I feel much safer on a quad, just because if I'm on a dirtbike and I hit a rut at an odd angle or anything metal I know I'm going down.

I feel safer powering out of corners without berms. I don't like it when the rear tire on a dirtbike kicks out even a few inches because it makes my heart skip.

I was riding with a friend who was on a modded 92 KX80, it was raining for 2 minutes, he was going easy on pavement and while turning left the powerband was just coming on and the bike went on it's side, with a car coming the other way. Not much grip in the rain, so I prefer a quad in it.

... and lastly, mud protection. Not that it matters much but it's nice because I don't want to wash my gear everytime I go for a 10 minute ride.

trick450r
05-24-2010, 04:02 PM
I get that vibe that a lot of the responders here have:
A. No experience on either machine
B. Experience on one or the other
C. Had a horrible experience on one and now switched to the other.

Regular_Joe
05-24-2010, 04:27 PM
I think just as important is what you plan on doing with it. My parents have 200 acres, 2/3 is VERY tight wooded trails, the rest is wide open fields. Between my brother and I, we have had:
- Yamaha Banshee
- YZ450 Yamaha dirtbike
- Honda 400ex
- Kawasaki KFX400
- Honda 250ex
- Yamaha TTR125-LE
- Honda 300 4x4
- Yamaha 350 Wolverine

Overall the 250ex and TTR125LE are the machines that get the most use from everyone. Its one of those things, its more fun to ride a slow machine fast vs a fast machine slow. Its hilarious to watch my dad rip around on the TTR like he's 15 again. In the past couple years we have since sold both the 400's, the 450, and the Wolverine. They just barely got used.
The 250 and TTR can putt when you want to go easy, and rip on the trails when you wanna fly. The 250 with the sport-clutch makes it fun too. A little blip of the clutch with some throttle and you can loft the front anytime in 1st-3rd.

You really have to consider where you will be riding and the style. I would really advise having both. It keeps things fresh when you swap from one to the other ...

reptikes
05-24-2010, 07:37 PM
My POV...

I've owned and loved both!

I think it all depends on what kind of riding you like to do and where all you like to ride.
If i can only have one...it would be a quad. It's an all year all terrian machine.

With the dirtbike you can jump higher and farther on average. and you can do hillclimbs a quad couldn't/wouldn't do (no matter how good the rider). Thats were the pros end.

On a quad you can run threw the snow... hillclimbs and all with the best of them (i tried on a bike...you can do it but the fun level is at a minimum) On a quad you can go mudding. And i mean REAL MUDDING! You can make you own trail no matter what the terrian (leaves, pine needles, little trees, ect). A quad is fun taking your son around the yard or taking your fiance for a ride, niether my girl or son wanted any parts of my bike.
I can haul sh** on my quad and have a heavier load in my backpack on my quad then on my bike.

But again i'll say i love both.
:D :D

440racer66
05-24-2010, 08:10 PM
ive had a ton of quads but my recent adventure is a yz250f man there fun. i love em both but nothin beats sliding aroung a nice long sweeping corner on a quad.

rbgnwa45
05-25-2010, 01:56 AM
If you like both you should buy a cheap 300ex/warrior for trails and a $2000 250 2-stroke bike to go fast.

Drewltr450
05-25-2010, 04:37 AM
Had a built ltr450 for 3 years, just sold it and bought a street legal dirtbike! One of the best purchases i have ever made. Very versitile, if your trying to go ride trails stick with 2 wheels. If you have a set out area for quads to ride thats sick and wont get borring over the life of the quad go 4.

nastyrider17
05-25-2010, 06:40 AM
I've ridden dirt bikes for a few years and I've owned my ex for about 1.5. I think they both have there good and bad parts, but overall the quad is better. It's more fun to cruise around on, the trails around here are mostly for quads, and the people that ride quads are usually nicer and more chill.

05-25-2010, 08:51 AM
I flat out just like quads more. Dirtbikes seem dull to me, i dont know why. I would much rather watch a quad race than a dirtbike race. It probably has something to do with the corners, dirtbikes are just boring going through a corner haha. Ive seen some very fast local guys on bikes and it was still kinda boring watching them go through a corner.

quad2xtreme
05-25-2010, 11:24 AM
easier to ride a quad in snow and icy conditions.

krt400ex
05-25-2010, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by rbgnwa45

... and lastly, mud protection. Not that it matters much but it's nice because I don't want to wash my gear everytime I go for a 10 minute ride.

you seriously think you get less dirty on a quad? lol dude on a bike you can avoid almost any mud hole where you gotta go through alot of it on the quad. and when you got those two big tires in the front on either side, and the water comes off them it goes straight to you. one thin tire in the middle actually pushes the water away. i never ever got as dirty on a bike as i do on th quad

Canadian144
05-25-2010, 07:28 PM
I've only rode a bike once .... but I think it really just comes down to what you feel comfortable on & what you prefer....

Heck get both. That's what I'm trying to do... I want to find a nice RM125 2-stroke that needs work and fix it up and ride it around sometimes.

jesseweaver
05-25-2010, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by #101
I flat out just like quads more. Dirtbikes seem dull to me, i dont know why. I would much rather watch a quad race than a dirtbike race. It probably has something to do with the corners, dirtbikes are just boring going through a corner haha. Ive seen some very fast local guys on bikes and it was still kinda boring watching them go through a corner.

:confused: i never imagined i'd ever hear that!

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff71/1999_416ex/stewart-southwick08-ak-02984.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff71/1999_416ex/9a7j8037.jpg

bikes are just flat out more exciting to watch

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff71/1999_416ex/Stewart_Stone_768.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff71/1999_416ex/james-stewart-best-whip-x-games.jpg

SRH
05-25-2010, 10:22 PM

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff71/1999_416ex/stewart-southwick08-ak-02984.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff71/1999_416ex/james-stewart-best-whip-x-games.jpg

agreed

John Noftsinger
05-25-2010, 10:28 PM
I rode dirtbikes till i was 30 was awesome love huge air going fast but hated riding 4-wheel rutts! then rode my little girl quad and wondered what an adult size one could do and bought a P.O.S blaster then sold to get 400EX got stolen then got Z the best 400 IMO.Never rode a bike again and dont feel the need it been almost 10yrs since I rode bike,

quad2xtreme
05-26-2010, 06:34 AM
I've ridden both and prefer a quad especially for trail riding; however, I also flag and score for local AMA races...bikes are way more exciting to watch no doubt about it. There aren't as many lines when the quads race so it is easier for a slower rider to block a faster rider from passing. The cool thing about bikes is ruts form in the turns pretty much forcing the rider to take the inside or outside line...not like a quad where they start on the inside and move to the outside thus blocking. You spend time on a back riding defensively and you will get passed.

05-26-2010, 09:30 AM

To each their own i guess lol

Brad77
05-26-2010, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by #101
To each their own i guess lol

Haha I know right.
Its cool seeing the fast bike riders carve a corner, but I also enjoy seeing a good quad rider tear up a berm too. The large amount of stone spray sandwich that 20 inches of tire (2 - 10in tires) can throw just looks cool.

I really don't have a solid preference on dirt bike vs. quad. I enjoy riding both. It took me many years of buying selling and saving to get a nice collection of riding goodies and I have them now and am very satisfied. I can hop on a quad or a bike and I am happy.

From a spectator's view I also enjoy watching both.

Although I do hold a strong view on quadding rights. I will be quick to stand up for professional quad riding and racing. I am using professional in a loose term, meaning any type of organized racing. Not billybob in the parking lot doing doughnuts with his t-shirt and jeans. I know between dirt bike vs. quad. The quads have had a very hard time being accepted.

BLU82
05-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Always wanted to race, had a sport quad but not motocross dirtbike. So I started riding mx tracks on the quad and therefore that's what I'm comfortable on and race with. If I had a mx bike to start off with I would have a very different point of view. I rarely see anyone switch over just because they feel one or the other is better. You pretty much stick with what you start out on.

DnB_racing
05-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by BLU82
I rarely see anyone switch over just because they feel one or the other is better. You pretty much stick with what you start out on. [/B] I would have to say that you dont know any old farts like me!when I first started riding there were only bikes then I went to 3 and then to 4 wheels and each time they got better. Better power better handling and more fun as they progressed

BLU82
05-26-2010, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
I would have to say that you dont know any old farts like me!when I first started riding there were only bikes then I went to 3 and then to 4 wheels and each time they got better. Better power better handling and more fun as they progressed
Yeah your right, back in the day I could see switching as the sport progressed, but nowadays what we have is about where we'll stay. I could also see switching over for health/age reasons. But I don't see anyone growing up riding or racing dirtbikes then one day realizing that quads are soooo much better and switching over or vice versa. Even if you have both, your natural ability will choose one over the other. I know that I'm faster on motocross track on my quad, but can kill the trails on my dirtbike. So my preference changes with the day

DnB_racing
05-26-2010, 11:21 AM
there has been so many changes in the time Ive been riding!! you young riders will be surprised that things still will change,for the better(as long as we remain responsible riders and dont give any reasons to not improve the sport) I hope im around long enough to see what the next 45 years will bring to the sport that I love

woodsman250r
05-26-2010, 12:24 PM
I raced and rode quads for about 6 years, then made the switch to bikes. At first, I sucked so bad on a bike that it wasn't funny. Now, I can rip on a bike just like how I did with a quad and love it way more than quad riding. As far as why quads are superior to bikes, I can't think of any. More expensive, more weight, anyone can ride a quad, can't ride single track, more likely to get hurt in a wreck due to weight, and twice the amount of parts to wear out and replace. But this is just MY opinion and everyone will have something different to say. It just comes down to what you enjoy riding the best. This debate is just like the 2t vs 4t debate, there is no clear cut best choice. As long as you are riding and having fun, who cares if its a bike or quad.

muddy400EX
05-26-2010, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by woodsman250r
I raced and rode quads for about 6 years, then made the switch to bikes. At first, I sucked so bad on a bike that it wasn't funny. Now, I can rip on a bike just like how I did with a quad and love it way more than quad riding. As far as why quads are superior to bikes, I can't think of any. More expensive, more weight, anyone can ride a quad, can't ride single track, more likely to get hurt in a wreck due to weight, and twice the amount of parts to wear out and replace. But this is just MY opinion and everyone will have something different to say. It just comes down to what you enjoy riding the best. This debate is just like the 2t vs 4t debate, there is no clear cut best choice. As long as you are riding and having fun, who cares if its a bike or quad.

how long did it take to really get comfortable on it? ive always wanted to switch,but its just so damn wierd!

reptikes
05-26-2010, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by BLU82
Always wanted to race, had a sport quad but not motocross dirtbike. So I started riding mx tracks on the quad and therefore that's what I'm comfortable on and race with. If I had a mx bike to start off with I would have a very different point of view. I rarely see anyone switch over just because they feel one or the other is better. You pretty much stick with what you start out on.

Im not talking racing just riding in general... but i started on a quad 450r then switched to the dirtbike 450r. Im now back to the quad.
If i could own both i would (and will when i can buy one). But for the most part the quad was the better route for me.
I couldn't putt around the yard with my son with the 450r dirtbike, but i can with the 450r quad.
A lot of the areas/trails we ride in are nasty! Dirtbikes just get stuck and roost everyone and everything behind them (while holding everybody up). And we take a lot of off the trial detours:devil: .

There were hill climbs i never would have tried or made with my quad, that i killed with my bike though.

jesseweaver
05-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
how long did it take to really get comfortable on it? ive always wanted to switch,but its just so damn wierd!

i got my bike last winter and rode a little bit last summer and after about 2-3 rides you'll start to get used to it. and it doesnt stop, im still improving everytime i ride and everytime you ride you get a little more used to it and can make the bike go right where you want it. it starts to get really predictible.

buck440
05-26-2010, 06:44 PM
i just trail ride and i had a pretty fixed up 400ex for a year and about 2 years later now i got a bike 01 cr250r and man. i can honestly say i miss my quad because you will tell you were noticeably faster than on a bike cause your trying to keep the damn thing from cross ruting and what not but that is the only down fall i can see. my bike is faster motor wise, WAY more fun even more so with a two stroke, you don't feel like your fixing up a turd like a 400ex, 300ex, warrior, blaster ect...i will never own a 4 stroke quad in my life but i'm open minded to banshee's and 250r's:p . getting a bike was the best decision i ever made.imo.

witech
05-26-2010, 07:39 PM
I like them both for different reasons. The quad rocks for trail riding in winter ,duning,tt . Here in wisconsin bike are illegal on state trails anyway. But I have my supermotard for hooligan riding(i cant believe they titled such an evil machine LOL) and heading to the big kart tracks.

PaRedneckRiders
05-27-2010, 04:50 AM
I have both and many of each but the truth is the quad is a little more widely respected
It seems like the guys with bikes are the only always getting crap about riding

But you can go alot more places in like tight trails and stuff on a bike if i had to pic just one it would prob b a bike

jesseweaver
05-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by PaRedneckRiders

It seems like the guys with bikes are the only always getting crap about riding

:confused: rethink that

DnB_racing
05-27-2010, 02:04 PM
No mater what you ride 2 wheels 3 or 4 or snowmobile we are all on the same side off the fence, we should spend less time over arguing about who's faster or better and stand together to keep this sport alive, it was almost lost in the 90's its coming back strong, but the future is fragile, have fun and be safe and if you do hurt yourself on someones property remember its your fault not the land owners. ride hard but within your means,and learn your bike or quad and learn it well, its the best thing you can do for the sport

muddy400EX
05-27-2010, 02:43 PM

exactly what i was thinking. even old people talk crap about quads, "them are dangerous, you shouldnt ride them" because of what they hear on tv etc. if you were to tell them you ride dirtbikes, they would just be like "oh thats nice"

krt400ex
05-28-2010, 04:43 AM

lol yea. its usually the quads that get the bad rap

destey
05-28-2010, 05:07 AM
Fell of my bicycle a few times when I was 12, pretty nasty cuts all over. Never ridden on 2 wheels since.

woodsman250r
05-28-2010, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by muddy400EX

Well the first couple of rides were rough...really rough haha. I had gotten so used to how the quad responded and none of that applies on a bike. It's night and day different on a bike from a quad. Just start out on simple wide open trails, learn how to get comfortable on the bike and practice turns, standing while riding, and throttle control. The weirdest part was me getting used to the twist throttle and being able to control myself on nasty trails without wrecking. Now, its second nature to me. Also, the more places you can stand on the bike, the better rider you will become. Your legs can absorb way more punishment than your back can. And you will have to learn to be "loose" on the bike if that makes sense. Get used to it bouncing around underneath of you and staying loose on top. If you right on the seat the whole time, and never stay loose you are going to end up on the dirt. It just takes time, practice and watching a lot of top level riders to learn how to apply that to your style. Another thing, ELBOWS UP!!! Just don't let fear stand in the way from trying, it will come with time. Even Carmichael probably sucked the first few times on a bike haha.

destey
05-28-2010, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by woodsman250r
Also, the more places you can stand on the bike, the better rider you will become. Your legs can absorb way more punishment than your back can. And you will have to learn to be "loose" on the bike if that makes sense. Get used to it bouncing around underneath of you and staying loose on top. If you right on the seat the whole time, and never stay loose you are going to end up on the dirt.

Excellent advice. Applies to quads as well :)

SilverBomb
05-29-2010, 10:41 AM
I just made the switch from my quad to a bike. I love riding quads in the dunes, but everywhere else I prefer a dirt bike. Moab Utah on a bike is heaven and one of the funnest things I've ever done. Mine is an XR650R and is street legal so I can ride anywhere, especially up to my local canyons from my house and ride some sweet single track.
So quads in the dunes(I do love bikes in the dunes as well), bikes everywhere else. :)