PDA

View Full Version : Parking break

JWS_honda7
05-23-2010, 01:38 PM
My parking break does not work but the back and front breaks work. what could be the problem? wire is not broke. so how do you tighten it?

Wheelie
05-23-2010, 03:22 PM
The best way to adjust the parking brake is to remove it, throw it in the garbage and buy a block off plate.

bkelley
05-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
The best way to adjust the parking brake is to remove it, throw it in the garbage and buy a block off plate. Agreed. Mine's never worked from day one. Actually, I've never had a bike with one on the clutch that worked period.

CJM
05-23-2010, 06:14 PM
x3, take it off its junk. You want a parking brake, shut it off and put it in gear.

CarGuy7a
05-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Mine worked but:

1) I never used it. I always just put it in gear and turned the motor off.

2) Having to adjust it all the time and after every riding trip is just a PITA.

3) I also noticed that if you adjusted it just a hair too tight, it can prematurely wear out your rear brake pads. My buddy found that out after about 4 sets of pads. I told him to stop adjusting his PB on the caliper and leave it alone. Problem solved.

f4iracer
05-23-2010, 08:38 PM
The parking brake has to be adjusted pretty frequently if you do any type of riding.

There's no reason to take it off, i like to have my in proper working order for transport and stuff.

you just have to go back to the rear brake disc and there is a bolt with a nut on it. loosen the nut and screw the bolt in till it stops. then back it out a half turn. then tighten your nut and it will be set.

it's a cable system so when the pads wear you have to adjust the parking brake.

ridgeracer
05-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by f4iracer
you just have to go back to the rear brake disc and there is a bolt with a nut on it. loosen the nut and screw the bolt in till it stops. then back it out a half turn. then tighten your nut and it will be set.

This screw is WAY bent on mine so i've been thinking about just pulling it off. It doesnt work anyways.

Muzzgit
05-24-2010, 09:13 PM
You don't need a parking brake, but DO NOT leave your bike in gear when in transport!

nastyrider17
05-25-2010, 06:35 AM
If I were you I would just take off the parking brake. It hardly ever works and is just a PITA.

When I first got my ex it had a parking brake but didn't work no matter how much adjustment so I just took it off. I never got a black off plate and ended up getting a good amount of sand/dirt/mud in my caliper. The dirt and sand ended up jamming the piston and I had to rebuild my caliper.

Now I have a tusk block off plate that was the cheapest one I've seen and it looks great.

CJM
05-25-2010, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Muzzgit
You don't need a parking brake, but DO NOT leave your bike in gear when in transport!
And why not?

440ex. ehhh!!
05-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by CJM
And why not?

YES, i want to know why also.

Scro
05-25-2010, 12:55 PM
There's no issue with transporting while in gear. It's probably hard on the gears when transporting in gear without being tied down. But, who transports without tying down.:p If your dumb enough to transport without tying it down, you'll probably have greater issues than your transmission somewhere down the road.:p

440ex. ehhh!!
05-25-2010, 12:56 PM
HAHA, yes, absolutely.

CJM
05-25-2010, 03:31 PM
Yea exactly, I have always transported bikes, quads, etc and locked them in gear while transporting them and almost always tied them down :)

Never an issue.

exrider12
05-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Wrong. Even though it may be tied down your quad still rocks back and forth. It jerks the gears around and causes premature wear on your transmission. Common sense...:ermm:

CJM
05-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by exrider12
Wrong. Even though it may be tied down your quad still rocks back and forth. It jerks the gears around and causes premature wear on your transmission. Common sense...:ermm:

I suppose then, that my quad as well as the other one I own, friends bikes and quads all should be totally junk right now? Cause we always lock them in gear.

I dont know how you tie crud down but it dont move period when I do it.

Scro
05-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by exrider12

Guess we'll just have to disagree then. You're transmission goes through alot more hell while riding.

hocman123
05-25-2010, 08:54 PM
that makes no sense when u tow it the quad moves a little but the engine moves with it those gears indivtually really wont move about on there own they will move together as the quad moves

atv fan 28
05-25-2010, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Scro
Guess we'll just have to disagree then. You're transmission goes through alot more hell while riding. I agree with Scro.

tri5ron
05-25-2010, 11:06 PM
We're supposed to tie them down ???

I thought a 2x4 on each side of the tire would be good enough. Dang,... I learn sump-thin new every day.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Rear%20Quad%20rack%20for%20Motorhome/IMG_1571.jpg

So this wont work even if I set the PB ????
Oh Wait,... I removed that a long time ago.
:blah: :devil:

Muzzgit
05-26-2010, 08:26 AM
I only go by what my quad mechanic told me the first time he tried to move my bike on the trailer.

I always used to just leave it in 1st, he jumped on me and said never do it, so I don't.

bkelley
05-26-2010, 12:28 PM
I've done it for years, my dad's done it with all his bike for years, everyone I know has been doing it for years. Like Scro said, if you have it tied down properly, it's not going to move. And if it does, there is no way it's doing any more harm than normal riding.

hocman123
05-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Muzzgit
I only go by what my quad mechanic told me the first time he tried to move my bike on the trailer.

I always used to just leave it in 1st, he jumped on me and said never do it, so I don't.

if i were u i would look for a new mechanic

f4iracer
06-04-2010, 05:46 AM
yeah, no offense but your mechanic is a wanker.

I used to stunt street bikes and i would haul my stunt bike in gear while strapped down.

The only premature wear and tear that you might notice would be the chain stretching a little faster.

Everybody i know hauls their machines in gear, lets not start a BS rumor and brainwash people that this could be a problem.

The transmission and drive gears take a huge beating while being ridden, nothing compared to hauling on a trailer or in a truck..

hellshot00
06-04-2010, 07:07 PM
mine stopped working in less then 3 days... they are pointless anyway

TRXRacer1
06-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by hellshot00
mine stopped working in less then 3 days... they are pointless anyway Agreed, slightest wear on the pads and you need to re-adjust. I tossed mine right away!

hellshot00
06-04-2010, 07:12 PM
hell lonestar and tusk and probably alot others make some block plates and i dont see how transporting in gear can hurt that much i agree with the others the tranny takes alot more hell riding

clemsonteg
06-04-2010, 07:13 PM
I have 2 block off plates for my quads along with ASV clutch levers to ditch my parking break, just been too lazy to install them.