PDA

View Full Version : where is the neutral safety??

finfan13
05-23-2010, 01:13 PM
hello all i need help, my sons king quad 300 isnt showing its in neutral (nolight) and therefore it wont start! i have headlights, etc and i checked the fuse by the battery. Im thinking the safety switch is bad or a loose wire, but i have no idea where it is located. can someone please help me with this? thank you

'85Suzuki LT230
05-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Hey i may know where the Safety switch is Try looking in the CDI it should be located near the front in front of Engine. if it isnt in there look at the Gear Selector there should be a little switch like thing maybe a relay switch Make sure that is connected properly hope i could help!

finfan13
05-23-2010, 03:34 PM
thanks but i dont know what a cdi is lol. i looked around the gear selector and saw nothing except the cable attached to it, no wires no switch . if you can tell me what the cdi is or what it looks like i would appreciate it. thanks

'85Suzuki LT230
05-23-2010, 05:48 PM
well i cant remember exactly what CDI stands for but its basically a Black box trace the wires from the key switch and all the wires and you should find it. its really little [4"x3"x1"]. it has all the wires from Everything leading into it. unmount it and unscrew it and look on back of Neutral light find the color of the wires thats coming out and then find them in your CDI Box and there should be a safety switch. Also try holding the brake then starting it and make sure all the wires leading into key switch is connected tightly

finfan13
05-23-2010, 07:53 PM
thanks, i hope i can find that box tomorrow and i dont have to take all the plastics off and stuff. i have tried to start it holding the brake , actually both brakes and the foot brake but no light, so i will go in search of the box tomorrow. what should i do if all the wires in the box and switch are connected?? any ideas?

'85Suzuki LT230
05-23-2010, 08:54 PM
if all the wires check out ok then move to the Transmission. How do you shift in Neutral foot lever or is it an Automatic with a shifter labeled [R-N-F]? if its a Foot lever on left side. Take off the Crank case cover [left side] there should be some wires running into it trace the wires into the crank case. there should be a Relay Switch which shows the quads in Neutral. if the switch checks out ok then Make sure you have it kicked in Neutral and make sure its not in gear. Some ATVs will only start in Neutral. hope this helped. let me know if not ill be on tomorrow and i can help you Further. Btw where are you Located?

finfan13
05-23-2010, 10:03 PM
hi Im in NJ. the quad is a foot shifter with centrifical clutch or whatever its called. neutral is all the way down . i know its in neutral because i can roll it. are you telling me there are more than one neutral safety switch?? how do i check the switch to make sure its not bad if all the wires are connected correctly?? i have a bad feeling i will get frustrated and wind up taking to the shop lol!

'85Suzuki LT230
05-24-2010, 12:15 AM
Well no Actually the switch Iam talking about [inside crank case] is a switch that makes the Neutral light come on when the Neutral light comes on it sends a pulse into the CDI unit basically telling it to feed power into the Coil. Iam from VA. and i have a '85 Suzuki LT230 Quad Runner. and basically when you shift it into Neutral there is a little metal tab that turns the switch on sending a pulse into the CDI unit which then feeds power to the coil and to the Starter,stator,etc. which means the Machine will only start when the switch inside of the crank case is turned on