PDA

View Full Version : what gear ratio are you running fot mx

florentino
05-23-2010, 08:45 AM
i have a 2006 yamaha with 15 in the front and 38 in the rear.
i have the cam mod and over 50 hps on my bike.
i just wonder what everybody is runnig out there. i take off in 2nd in the whole shot and the ltrs have more top end. and i always do better in my stock can am. must be the F I
i really want to hear it good or bad.
the reason why i run 15 in the front its cause bike has too much power and i cant put it to the ground in the turns.
correct me if i am wrong

mxpimp2000
05-23-2010, 11:32 PM
i run 14/38 and sometimes 13/38. you have 50+ HP with only a cam mod? i have alotta mods to my bike and prb at or around 50-53 at the most. HP gains are very small for a big mod unless u have a race ported head with cams bored carb etc.

15/38 idk how people run that setup and have any low end. i can barley take off in 2nd with a 13/38 and my bike HAULS. i dont want to brag but i love my bike and the power. ive taken 1lb of weight off the crank all the internal electric start gears and starter motor it has alot less rotational mass than a e-start motor which makes it rev alot quicker and snappier. also have YZ dirtbike clutches that allows you to put more power to the ground. but not somethine a xc rider would like.

everyone likes different gearing ratios and personally ive never ran or tryed a 15T front sprocket. plus my case saver wouldnt allow a 15T. IMO thats asking for a broken case but i may be wrong its just my opinion. Im not bashing anyones bikes just giving u my opinion. everyone likes different setups.

practice on ur corners and you should be able to power out of a berm without popping it up. practice going into the turn faster and in a higher gear so u wont be clutchin and in 2nd gear causing the bike to grab so hard and pull the front end up. just go into the turn at a controable speed and come out gettin on the gas. pace urself u will get better. i myself had that problem once but practice helps

florentino
05-24-2010, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by mxpimp2000
i run 14/38 and sometimes 13/38. you have 50+ HP with only a cam mod? i have alotta mods to my bike and prb at or around 50-53 at the most. HP gains are very small for a big mod unless u have a race ported head with cams bored carb etc.

15/38 idk how people run that setup and have any low end. i can barley take off in 2nd with a 13/38 and my bike HAULS. i dont want to brag but i love my bike and the power. ive taken 1lb of weight off the crank all the internal electric start gears and starter motor it has alot less rotational mass than a e-start motor which makes it rev alot quicker and snappier. also have YZ dirtbike clutches that allows you to put more power to the ground. but not somethine a xc rider would like.

everyone likes different gearing ratios and personally ive never ran or tryed a 15T front sprocket. plus my case saver wouldnt allow a 15T. IMO thats asking for a broken case but i may be wrong its just my opinion. Im not bashing anyones bikes just giving u my opinion. everyone likes different setups.

practice on ur corners and you should be able to power out of a berm without popping it up. practice going into the turn faster and in a higher gear so u wont be clutchin and in 2nd gear causing the bike to grab so hard and pull the front end up. just go into the turn at a controable speed and come out gettin on the gas. pace urself u will get better. i myself had that problem once but practice helps

how are you holeshots??? i ask cause with a 15 in the front you dont have to shif and dont rev the motor to the moon. and my bike can pull 2nd real eazy i have full gytr full exaust. 13 to 1 gytr piston i ran 104 sunoco race gas. i ported the head new stock valves hot rods crank. knn filter 190 main jet and 48 pilot at sea level. in hayward california close to san francisco. i am 200 lbs and have the cam mod i now bypass the tps and i am happy. not to brag but my friend has a full race motor by one one the best motor builder and mine is just as fast.
but yes thanks for all your help i will try stock gears.
you have any pics of your bike..?? i am sure its sick and you know what you are taking about..

mxpimp2000
05-24-2010, 11:31 AM
well i raced my first national race this year and pulled the holeshot in my LC qualifier. i was running 13T in the first heat and needed more top so after the heat i ran back to the pits and swapped it to a 14T and there it was. all i needed to get me to the front for a win.

heres a pic of mine

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o224/mxpimp2000/GEDC0809.jpg

yamahahaha
05-24-2010, 05:38 PM
that is a sweet lookin bike, love the white frame!

florentino
05-24-2010, 11:39 PM
nice bike here is mine do you have a pic of the rear.

mxpimp2000
05-24-2010, 11:42 PM
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o224/mxpimp2000/GEDC0720.jpg