View Full Version : Housers new XC Nerfs

Pappy
05-22-2010, 09:17 PM
Laid eye's on them today.

Pappy
05-22-2010, 09:18 PM

m0t0xk1d
05-22-2010, 09:20 PM
those things are SICK. but maybe the end piece would get hung up on some tires? is there an advantage to those?

wild250rman
05-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Are they available yet and any idea on the price?

juice420
05-22-2010, 09:53 PM
I don't even wanna know how much they cost.

Scro
05-22-2010, 09:57 PM
That's sort of what a normal set of nerfbars looks like on my machine after a race. I knew I should have put a patent on that design.:p Those look like they will hold up a little better, but mine also bend at the front mount. If they were to make a support bar going from the frame, right in front of the Tag skid emblem, to the nerfbar close to where the first net mounts, it would definitely be a solid product.

krt400ex
05-23-2010, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by juice420
I don't even wanna know how much they cost.

i believe i saw on another thread they are $400 or $450? very very expensive. and they arent available for everything yet.

quad2xtreme
05-23-2010, 08:06 AM
the key to these is they have shock absorption much like flexx bars.

Pappy
05-23-2010, 08:55 AM
I dont believe these have the shock system. These are another new design

wild250rman
05-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Looked on their web site and they are not listed yet any ideas when?

juice420
05-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
I dont believe these have the shock system. These are another new design
Yeh, I was gonna say I don't see any "movable" parts on these.

quadmom110
05-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Here is the link and it does talk about the shock absorber.
https://www.houser-racing.com/WSWrapper.jsp?mypage=video/Store_Nerf_Bars_2010.htm

Pappy
05-23-2010, 04:17 PM
These are NOT the shock system nerfs like Goodman has been running...these are brand newNEW style for XC. Infact they just did the photoshoot for them last week with this very quad

wild250rman
05-23-2010, 04:28 PM
These are NOT the shock system nerfs like Goodman has been running...these are brand newNEW style for XC. Infact they just did the photoshoot for them last week with this very quad
any insight into how they done? looks like they will be a nice new twist to nerf bars.Looks like you might be able to reach the ground with your feet to back up if needed on quads with no reverse.

honda400ex2003
05-23-2010, 07:36 PM
looks sweet to me. i wish i had a 450 or they make them for the hundy. steve

SRH
05-23-2010, 08:30 PM
call me old fashion but im still into the std bolt on ac nerfs....ive been hit hard enough to bend them ..unbolt ...new pair for 140 and no sweat...id b e quite upset messing up $500 nerfs

coryatver
05-23-2010, 09:26 PM
are the ones in the pic bent or are they sopposed to be like that?

Pappy
05-23-2010, 09:41 PM
Ok here is what I know, and im sorry for not spilling the beans earlier, im just swamped after a national..

These were built and tested and finally released to one of Housers XC Pro Am racers. The bend is for allowing a rider to use the nerf to scrub off a tree when turning. If youve ever raced tight stuff, you know exactly what the goal is here. Its the reason many nerfs end up with this bend haha, but this one looks to be fully intentional:p

The angle of the picture from above makes it appear the one bar extends close to the tire but there is a fair mount of room. The 20 inch rears had plenty of clearence.

They also sweep "UP" above the plane of the lower frame rails as you can see in the pic.

I will have some rider feedback shortly but thats all I know.

Pappy
05-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by SRH
call me old fashion but im still into the std bolt on ac nerfs....ive been hit hard enough to bend them ..unbolt ...new pair for 140 and no sweat...id b e quite upset messing up $500 nerfs

We have been running Tusk for that very reason. I can not afford the high dollar stuff for XC but understand some of the new stuff coming out may actually work and coudl be worth the extra coin.

Our REM nerfs are starting to resemble the new Housers LOL, upsweep and all!

quad2xtreme
05-24-2010, 05:15 AM

Our REM nerfs are starting to resemble the new Housers LOL, upsweep and all!

Maybe a new business ooportunity. Cody forms them for you and then you add powdercoat and put on some pretty stickers. $375 ;)

Pappy
05-24-2010, 05:16 AM
Cody already started telling me how we can do a shoot to show how to pivot off a tree:p I told him thats fine...when either we start getting nerfs for free or he gets a better job so he can pay for them LOL:p

ohioEX
05-24-2010, 09:01 AM
To quickly answer some questions, I will give out some info.

These were built for and tested by Eric Hoyland for XC Racing
They will be a Production Nerf Bar available for most performance quads.
They DO include the Suspension Foot Pegs.
They are designed to be used to pivot around trees.
Pricing is around $475

Call Houser Racing for more info.

877-646-3278

Thanks, Mark @ Houser

Pappy
05-24-2010, 09:20 AM
Mark..did you all change the adjuster or does this set not feature the shock system...I dont see the adjuster on these..

PhilMoore
05-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Them are some sexy nerfs. :cool:

Unfortunately, the only quad I have without nerfs is a Banshee, and I fear they won't make a set for that lol. Pretty sure those nerfs would look awesome on a Banshee though...

Gonna be upset if I hafta get a Yfz to put them on.

ohioEX
05-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Pappy - The pivot Bolt is right near the white kick up extension on the peg. The Preload Bolt is in the last triangle closest to the frame mount. It's kind of hard to see in the picture, but it's there!

PhilMoore - We have never made products for the Banshee, if there is a demand for them, we will consider it.

Thanks, Mark @ Houser

Pappy
05-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Gotcha Mark....Thats what was throwing me!

PhilMoore
05-24-2010, 01:53 PM
PhilMoore - We have never made products for the Banshee, if there is a demand for them, we will consider it.

Thanks, Mark @ Houser

Banshee is dying, and not a woods quad anyway. LoL However, those are some sick looking nerfs and some of us just like to make cool looking quads. We don't actually ride them XC. lol

lwrider20
05-24-2010, 04:47 PM
correct me if im wrong but dont most rule books state that all nerf bars and bumpers cannot have any open ends and must be a loop style?

Pappy
05-24-2010, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by lwrider20
correct me if im wrong but dont most rule books state that all nerf bars and bumpers cannot have any open ends and must be a loop style?

I dont believe they exist for XC....some of the bumpers being run there are spooky!

ohioEX
06-07-2010, 11:54 AM
We (Houser Racing) have been in contact with the ATVA. They have checked out the Nerf Bars and said they are completly LEGAL for racing.

They have no sharp points and the end of the large tubing near the rear tires have plugs welded into them.

Just wanted to let everyone know that saw the post further up the page.

Pappy
06-30-2010, 09:27 PM
I caught back up with Eric Hoyland to see how they have been doing seeing they had Somerset and Snowshoe on them, both notorious venues for destroying equipment.

Other then some normal wear and tear, looks to be holding up pretty good

Smoker
06-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Granted, it's a good idea but I've nerfed the hell out of some trees with my AC's and I'm guessing they all bouce off about the same. Sure I don't have squishy rubber balls under the peg but I haven't broken my feet off yet, lol.

304racing
08-10-2010, 01:03 AM
Well guys I will actually go out on a limb and say it " I think Houser Racing has done the impossible designed an XC Racing Nerf Bar that can withstand an entire GNCC racing season" Eric Hoyland GNCC Racer # 17 has put alot of effort into trying to test this product both at the nationals and locals all up and down the east coast and we are still running the same set that we started with at the Millfied GNCC. Now the only thing i can say is there is a 4 inch area that has lost it's powdercoat on the very outside edge. They made the Footpeg tree out of the same material they make there a-arms out of and it has not broke,bent,or even the net mounts have'nt smashed in like some of the other product's on the market we have ran in the past 6 yrs. Houser Racing is getting bombarded with orders so be patient, and wait , it is definitely worth it in the long run. I believe there price is $450.00 plus shipping way less then some other systems you have bought in the past. Try them you wont be disappointed.

Ichoptop
08-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Smoker
Granted, it's a good idea but I've nerfed the hell out of some trees with my AC's and I'm guessing they all bouce off about the same. Sure I don't have squishy rubber balls under the peg but I haven't broken my feet off yet, lol.

agreed, they are pretty and most likely very well built but 5 bills isnt cost effective to me.
I have had my blingstars for two years and have gashes in them from trees and rocks and I still have feet. An extra $250 bucks for them because they are pretty isnt worth the price.

quad2xtreme
08-10-2010, 01:39 PM
anyone know if 22" tires can be run with these on a Honda 450r?

304racing
08-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Eric ran 22's at millfield,snowshoe,and two different extreme dirt series races on the yamaha and nerver had any issues with them hitting,Houser also shorten that section of bar anyway about another 1 or 2 inches and I would think you would be fine. remember this is a new product and there is no one better than houser to deal with if something isnt right just call and talk to them they actually listen. Good Luck.

304racing
08-10-2010, 09:18 PM
ICHOPTOP you are correct in saying they are not cost effective to you but to someone who is racing alot and is replacing all the stock componets anyway it is actually saving about 200 bills. Now that is if the racer is purchasing a full system, Pro pegs,Heelplates, and Nerfs. The average on most products is around 500 - 700 depending on who your shopping with and if you have 2 quads or more it adds up fast. And also you have to take into consideration the amount of racing your doing and wear and tear on your poor little knees and ankles. The Footpeg design from Houser has really helped with the aches and pains of everyday riding. Not to mention the Tree Hugger Series does actually help the quad in those tight woods situation pivoting around trees and rocks and even other riders quads. So if you can raise the funds check them out im sure you wont be disappointed.Thanks

Quad18star
08-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Nice looking nerfs and I'm sure they're very practical , but as mentioned that's a large expense to try and justify. I'm still amazed that ATV products are so darn expensive compared to the dirtbike scene. The markup is crazy.:ermm:

Scro
08-11-2010, 06:47 AM
I could justify the price of them, as long as they hold up to the abuse. I've never had a set of nerf bars to hold their shape more than a couple weekends of riding. Just from an outside perspective, these look to be the strongest on the market right now.

Is the peg that bolts to the frame a tubular design like the AC propegs, or is it a gusseted design like the Roll Design pegs?

304racing
08-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Hey man go to Houser Racing .com and look at the blow ups of the way the peg is made it will help. Houser makes them out of the same material they use to make there a-arms,and you race so you know im no lying when i say they are not like the construction off alot of nerfs, pegs, heelplates, that cant take a hit at all without bending the net tabs or bending the footpeg mount. The pics on there web site will help they truley made use believers after sommerset and snowshoe and alot of bad local races.Eric really uses them to there full potential and was a bit sceptical at first but now wont ride without them. hope this helped. Frank

Quad18star
08-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Scro
I could justify the price of them, as long as they hold up to the abuse. I've never had a set of nerf bars to hold their shape more than a couple weekends of riding. Just from an outside perspective, these look to be the strongest on the market right now.

The way I see it though ... say your product lasts 3 races more than the competitors product ... price it slightly higher ( not double the price) .. that when when the racer needs a set of nerfs they'll come back as a repeat customer and spend the extra bit of money because the product lasts those 3 races more. Know what i mean?

304racing
08-11-2010, 10:30 PM
I feel ya, but the nice thing about the 450 price tag is you get nerfs , netted heel plate and flex foot peg system, im sure if you break or bend one piece or side you can buy just that one replacement peace.not sure how houser is handleling that part but you can call and ask or i will ask jen myself and post it for you.get on ims site and price the hole set up you will see what i mean.

Quad18star
08-11-2010, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by 304racing
I feel ya, but the nice thing about the 450 price tag is you get nerfs , netted heel plate and flex foot peg system, im sure if you break or bend one piece or side you can buy just that one replacement peace.not sure how houser is handleling that part but you can call and ask or i will ask jen myself and post it for you.get on ims site and price the hole set up you will see what i mean.

If you can buy the individual pieces at a REASONABLE price , then yes it could be well worth it... but say the netted heel guard costs $120 , then $100 for the pegs , etc ... IMO it wouldn't be worth it.

304racing
08-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Well thats why there are more than one vender out there so you can be happy with your purchase but we have been racing for 6 yr now and from my perspective i havent seen anything out there that can beat this price or its industructability yet, and we have been sponsered by 3 different vendors in the past so im not just blowin my horn here you know im just trying to get the info out to fellow racers that get tierd of bying bumpers and nerfs,heel plates,footpegs,grab bars every two or so races,you know what i mean dude.

Pappy
08-11-2010, 10:43 PM
For the racing crowd, or for those who have to have the latest and greatest the price tag is what it is. Houser has a great reputation and I know the product preforms as advertised, but $450 is pricey no matter whos name is on a set of nerfs.

What is good to see is that there is atleast some engineering going on to build a better mousetrap. We went the cheap route and would have had to replace them 2 or 3 times after they got beat so I can understand the concept of not having to replace a part and the $$ equalling out.

The negative I do see is that Houser doesnt offer these in a bare aluminum finish. That would knock a bit off the price over having them coated (but a polishing system or service isnt cheap either). Alot of folks, myself included, just dont want a nice blinged out part getting fubar after a few races....a bare option would be a big plus in my book.

Ive spoken with a few riders that are running them and they admit the shock absorbing system does work. None would admit wether or not it works well enough to be noticed every ride but I can see where saving some wear and tear on the body has its advantages. Just look at FAAST bars and the new Precision set ups....both highly recommended and disputed by just as many as being a gimmick or the benefit not worth the cost.

The biggest thing right now IMO is that the piss poor economy has to hurt higher dollar items, but for many, price is no object and will buy something even if it means the rent goes late!:p

304racing
08-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Hey pappy i talk to houser about the bare aluminum parts and they say they are going to start selling it that way i guess,not sure if its polished or just bare but either way they are at least listening to the public,hope this helps

Pappy
08-11-2010, 10:49 PM
I think if it would lower the cost it would be a big benefit.

I need to get down there and do some shooting and video of Eric laying it on a tree LOL

304racing
08-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Well i can tell you this when they sent the prototype he diffinetly layed them on some trees because he was sure they would break,and then after about a month of " man them things are tuff" and throwing himself off the quad hitting s**t as hard as he could at are track here ,which is like snowshoe, he said i guess we can put them on the race quad for millfield and you have seen them they are the same ones you pictured. not hurt a feww scrapes and thats it,that impressed us both.

Quad18star
08-11-2010, 11:08 PM
I'm by no means raggin' on Houser .. I've never run their product , but from what I hear they make great parts. I'm just talking about them because they're the ones in this thread..... this could go for any aftermarket manufacturer out there.

From my perspective, if a company, any company out there, can build a GREAT quality product , and offer it at the same price or slightly higher price than the competition which may have an inferior product , they'll gain a larger hold of the market.

Look at when Elka hit the market years back. They came up the ladder as a company that put out a great product at a lower cost than it's competitors ... and to this day they are still a bit cheaper than their competition ..... and look at how much of the market they own.

I'd like to see a set of Houser nerfs in person though . As mentioned , it looks like a great innovative design and I think they'd look great as a set of plain ole polished aluminum.

Pappy
08-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by gtt416ex
Paps, i'm not gonna say you're wrong, but in the newest Dirtwheels, the advertisement says that they have the suspension peg.

But you got an up-close look at them so you're probably right

If you read back, I was corrected. I did not notice the suspension system when I took the original images.

gtt416ex
08-12-2010, 01:04 PM
yeah i noticed....sorry:D i deleted my post

Pappy
08-12-2010, 01:11 PM
No worries:p