PDA

View Full Version : need help with getting clutch basket nut off

bens250ex
05-22-2010, 11:09 AM
need some help on how to get the clutch basket nut off. i have the clutches out and it just spins i try to hold it with stuff and nothing it holding it. how have you guys been able to get it off.

CJM
05-22-2010, 11:45 AM
I just went thru this.

I ordered the tusk clutch holding tool from rocky mtn for 15 bucks and used it and a cordless impact and it worked real easy.

I was gonna try and make a holding using a piece of flatbar attached at 2 points on the basket and a bit ratchet but the tool was cheap.

I have heard you can stuff rags in there or a block of wood too but I didnt try it.

The clutch tool is nothing more than some vise grips with special ends on them.

no1 300ex
05-22-2010, 11:45 AM
On My 300ex all I do is put the break pedal back on. Put the atv in 5th gear. Step on the pedal and back the nut off.

Scro
05-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Stick a penny between two of the gears to jam it. It's softer than the material the gears are made of, and won't damage it. An impact does a good job of getting it off, too.

bens250ex
05-22-2010, 11:54 AM
engine is out of bike so i cant use the chain to hold it. i snapped one of the inner clutch bolt posts so guess i will be buyin another one of them....... the nut is still on it....im tryin to get this thing back together but it just keeps turnin the table on me....i will look and see if i can figure somethin out. i know when i did it on a cbr600 engine we ended up takin a piece of old chain wrappin it around the sprocket and puttin it in a vice. problem is i have neither of those to do that at home....im going to go give it another try see what happens ill post pics of the carnage later lol

CJM
05-22-2010, 01:31 PM
If time is no matter I would get the tool like I mentioned. Made it into a 5 min project.

You did unstake the nut right?

bens250ex
05-22-2010, 09:15 PM
well guys i got it off and thanks CJM you gave me the idea to use some vice grips and i ended up gettin it...but i also broke the inner clutch hub when i was trying the first time before i made the post...so anyone got an extra one layin around???