PDA

View Full Version : anybody runing alchohol??

hartwill
05-21-2010, 11:57 AM
i guess what i am wantiing to know is what are the benefeits of running alchohol, does it burn hotter, and what mods do you have to do to a two stroke engine to run it?? any help would be greatly appreciated..

265 sleeper
05-21-2010, 11:19 PM
i dont believe it runs hotter or colder but it does burn double the fuel

Saleenster
05-22-2010, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by 265 sleeper
i dont believe it runs hotter or colder but it does burn double the fuel

Methenol burns COOLER...

hartwill
05-22-2010, 12:42 AM
im guessing you are a mustang fan.. i love the saleens. what kind of power gains could i expect from switching to alchohol??

Saleenster
05-22-2010, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by hartwill
im guessing you are a mustang fan.. i love the saleens. what kind of power gains could i expect from switching to alchohol??

Saleen fan indeed. :D

power gains? If you just "switch" to methenol, NONE. The gain comes from port, head work and compression. You'll want a bigger carb (with bowl), pingle valve, bigger fuel line, and I would run a pump no matter what anybody says. If you do all of that, you would gain quite a bit of performance. You will consume more fuel when running methenol, however the cost of it is cheaper then race gas.

machwon
05-22-2010, 04:51 AM
Methanol will show a noticable power difference on any motor. The gains can be quite large on a regulary tuned motor, you are likely to get 8-10 HP. On a ported motor with a high comp head you are likely only gonna get 4 HP. Yes the fuel is cheap, you burn twice as much, so really oil consumption starts to get expensive and almost makes it a wash with race fuel.

The cool fuel sucks heat from the motor so a cooler 2 stroke makes more power especially after its hot. You will need to pull the filter out of the bottom of the fuel tank, tap the crankcase or cylinder for a vacuum line and install a fuel pump. You don't want to run out of alky supply to the motor. The carb will need the jets drilled and a powerjet added. Alky will only mix with benol or maximum 927 type oils and is very corrosive. It also must be sealed good in the can or it sucks moisture from the air. After every day of riding you must purge the motor by running regular gas and oil through it or it will flash rust the cylinder and bearings. Hope this helps.

3racers
05-22-2010, 04:53 AM
I got a 250r drag bike on alky cylinder ported head redomed and shaved with a o-ring groove cut in. FTZ hooked up the carb runs good 4 a 250.If u plan on trail or racing better get bigger tank.

1promodfan
05-22-2010, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by machwon
Methanol will show a noticable power difference on any motor. The gains can be quite large on a regulary tuned motor, you are likely to get 8-10 HP. On a ported motor with a high comp head you are likely only gonna get 4 HP. Yes the fuel is cheap, you burn twice as much, so really oil consumption starts to get expensive and almost makes it a wash with race fuel.

The cool fuel sucks heat from the motor so a cooler 2 stroke makes more power especially after its hot. You will need to pull the filter out of the bottom of the fuel tank, tap the crankcase or cylinder for a vacuum line and install a fuel pump. You don't want to run out of alky supply to the motor. The carb will need the jets drilled and a powerjet added. Alky will only mix with benol or maximum 927 type oils and is very corrosive. It also must be sealed good in the can or it sucks moisture from the air. After every day of riding you must purge the motor by running regular gas and oil through it or it will flash rust the cylinder and bearings. Hope this helps.

X2^^^^^^^^this guys knows what he's talking about. But let me tell you, alky can be violent. When you first run it, its a HUGE rush!!!

hartwill
05-22-2010, 10:53 AM
wow i did not know i would need a pump. but ill tell you what this is alot of good info and you guys are by far the most dedicated to your machines out of all the forums iv been on. keep up the good info and thanks again.

265 sleeper
05-22-2010, 12:21 PM
i was told purging is only need if the bike is going to sit up for more than a week but different people will say different things i know drag cars that dont do anything to there motors all they run is alky

chevota84
05-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Alcohol draws moisture in so in a 2 stroke it pulls moisture into the bottom end bearings. Its a good idea to purge it every time you shut it off, just pull the fuel line off the shut off valve and drop it into a small can of gas and let it pull it into the carb. You'll know when it's running on gas cause it will run horrible. Once you get into the habit it's not too big of a deal. Methanol around here is around 4.50 to 5.00 a gallon so when you figure that you are using almost twice as much it's about the same as race gas.