PDA

View Full Version : 88' Quadracer Powervalve

akach1980
05-20-2010, 08:32 PM
Hello, everyone. I just had my 88' quadracer motor bored and got a new piston. The powervalve assembly needs to be put back together. I was wondering if anyone knows how to do this correctly. I understand it needs to be timed out? Never rebuilt a quarascer before so I am unsure about this, any help would be greatly appreciated, especially if you have a cylmer manual and will scan and send me the appropriate pages as files in an email. Thanks, Anthony

jerkin
05-20-2010, 09:06 PM
There's no timing on a powervalve. The only thing like that would be once it's installed you put the cap on the left side on over the tension spring and turn it 1 turn counterclockwise then tighten it down. This puts the correct amount of tension on the valve so that it closes at the proper rpm.

You will want to buy new o-rings for it before you install it. There are three, one on the cap on the left side that I just mentioned you turn to set the tension, one that goes over the valve itself that you can see when you have it out and one smaller one that you can't see on the shaft behind the piece that spins 1/4 turn on the shaft. Take the bolt off the end of the valve (be careful not to break it, if it's tight heat it a little with a propane torch) then slide that piece off and you'll see the o-ring behind the small bearing. Don't put it together without changing all three o-rings, you will end up with an air leak and you can get all 3 and the clips for the rod for around $10.

Clean both bearings, the one you just took off and the one in the jug on the left side and oil them with a light oil. Clean the valve and the bore in the jug to get all the carbon off them both, light sanding if needed. Oil the valve and o-rings with whatever 2 stroke oil you use. Slide the valve back in the bore and tighten the bolt that holds it in the bottom of the cylinder and set the spring tension like I said in the first paragraph

Install cylinder, attach the arm (should probably use new clips) and you're done. Check it to make sure it's working correctly, when you push up on the arm it should have a little tension and move 1/4 turn. It will take you an hour or 2 to do it correctly but when you are finished you will have a perfectly functioning exhaust valve. Just had to do it to mine since it wasn't completely closing and killing my top end. You really don't want to have to do it twice since you have to pull the jug to get it out.