PDA

View Full Version : 300ex, 400ex or z400?

beags86
05-20-2010, 08:02 PM
sold my 250r tonight:( been back and fourth about it for some time but i finally sold it and am now in the market for a better trail quad so i thought i ask the masses what i should get for a trail quad. just shoot your opinions

Atlanta
05-20-2010, 08:08 PM
I would say a 300ex for trails all day.

You can mod them for power very easy.
The 400ex is much better for power but the 300ex is a solid trail/race quad also.

300ex with ported head bigger valves and 400ex carb would give a 400ex hell on a track.

The 400ex is a great quad though so it really depends on you.

Buy a cheap 300ex a build it for what you want to do and your ride style

Or 400ex and enjoy it stock.

I trail rode my national 300ex and it was a blast,I just ran a stock 250r a arm rather then my +3 400ex a arms.

Was a beast in the woods.

CJM
05-20-2010, 08:27 PM
400ex, 100cc more than the 300ex is hard to argue.

Z400 is nice but $$$$

I vote 400ex.

levonskinator
05-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Atlanta
I would say a 300ex for trails all day.

You can mod them for power very easy.
The 400ex is much better for power but the 300ex is a solid trail/race quad also.

300ex with ported head bigger valves and 400ex carb would give a 400ex hell on a track.

The 400ex is a great quad though so it really depends on you.

Buy a cheap 300ex a build it for what you want to do and your ride style

Or 400ex and enjoy it stock.

I trail rode my national 300ex and it was a blast,I just ran a stock 250r a arm rather then my +3 400ex a arms.

Was a beast in the woods.

Yea but the suspension is light years ahead, even stock, and that plays a much bigger role than power

rob_990
05-20-2010, 09:04 PM
z400 or 400ex

beags86
05-20-2010, 09:32 PM
yeah yeah i know 400ex, z400, i will prob go with another 400ex, hopefully a 05 or newer one with reverse, mind you the second quad would mainly be ridden by my lady, unless i end up with a z then she would get the ex, but since shes the main rider thats why a 300 is not out of the question

Atlanta
05-20-2010, 11:26 PM
Go for the 300ex,grab some 400ex or 450r shocks off eBay or a part out on here for cheap.

White brother pipe,400ex carb and go tear it up.

they are solid bikes.

If you want to really go for it get a 250x.

Used for about $1000
Kick start,no battery to deal with and they are easy to kick even for a lady.

Being you miss your 250r run the r plastic on the 250x,lol they fit.I did this on a hybrid 300ex build I did with 250r plastic and +2 450r a arms,etc.

I will never sell my 250r but I have over $17K invested in it,so it will get willed away or buried with me.

bkelley
05-21-2010, 12:59 AM
I couldn't ever see getting a 300EX over anything. They are just physically too small.

PaRedneckRiders
05-21-2010, 04:42 AM
personally i would go with the 400ex
Ive had 3 400exs and rode a bunch of 400exs 300exs and z400s

I liked the 300ex but i would never take one over a 400 it just doesnt seem like enough power, but they to make really good trail quads and with some minor mods make decent power

I just didnt think it was enough

As for the z, I really like it and debating on buying one right now
Its ok for trail riding but tends to wanta go fast, the one i rode wasnt stock but wasnt like straight drags and if i went slow it juz felt like i was holding it back, but is still perfectly trail ridable and on the plus side, its liquid cooled

And the 400ex is an awsome trail quad they run good to
The motor is pretty much bullet proof and can take one heck of a beating
But every1 says "o its a 400 my 700 raptor will beat it or my z400" or what ever but ya it will but with a couple mods ull blow them outa the water well at least the 700

My first chose would be the 400ex but i wouldnt say no to a z that had a good pricetag

flyboy1294
05-21-2010, 05:28 AM
I would chose a 400ex over a 300ex any day. It has power the 300ex wouldn't without lots of money in upgrades, and ergo's are much better for anyone over 5' 6 imo. Plus, it has the auxillary oil cooler which you can mount a fan on to help with cooling at slow speeds.

As for the z400, if you are wanting a race bike (even though I know you said trails), I would chose it most likely. The radiator system helps alot with cooling, and you can get more performance out of the DOHC system and liquid cooling.

05-21-2010, 06:24 AM
the hell with the ( z) just go ex and do some light mods like stage1 h/c full pipe and a 450 carb and it will do just what you or her needs it to do fun for every one........:D

sc400ex_rider
05-21-2010, 07:06 AM
there is no way your going from a 250r to a 300ex. that would feel like your riding a weed eater. if your buying new get the z. if your buying used get the ex or z in the best condition. if a quad is abused and neglected it can get f'd up pretty quick............

05-21-2010, 07:11 AM
sc400 come to union coutny drag way with the quad to night in union sc

05-21-2010, 07:20 AM
every friday @ 7 unioncountydragway.net not posting for them just asking to see if you wont to come out. i bee there on a gray 400ex with wheelie bars

J.Brown121
05-21-2010, 06:03 PM
I would get the z400 and give her your ex. or even go with a 450 or 700r. i don't know why you are limiting your choices so much. Just give her your bike and upgrade to a better bike for yourself.

beags86
05-21-2010, 09:20 PM
well right now the 450r and 700xx and even a raptor 700 is just simply out of my price range, i have been looking for a 450 in the back the back of my head and i simply have not found much, and i haven't hardly found a 700xx new or used at all in colorado, simply don't seam to have them here, and i would think with the irs, they would be big here, odd.

i am just trying to get a hold of what i want, i flip and flop, back and forth daily. this quad is going to be for her mostly and a few friends every now and again, mind you my lady is 5'2'' so a 300ex would be about right.

hell one time i even was going to buy a warrior. thank god i wised up. (and no i don't want to here about how good they are, i don't care)

i really just wanted some fellow 400 fans comfirm that they are great and to buy another one, because thats what most likely going to happen, looking for one with reverse and i am golden.

John Noftsinger
05-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Z all way! if you wont the best selling rated # 1 trail quad by all Mags ( Has won many champoinships) the Z takes the cake, higher top speed ,better suspention,DOHC motor, 09 have fuel injection, More HP,take too mods better the EX .There smoking deals on them now all over! Why pay the same as an EX when you can get Z!

beags86
05-21-2010, 10:27 PM
smokeing deal all over hun?? in my market there is hardly a z to be had, but alot of exs. markets are different all over, yes there are good deals to be had but how long does one wait to find one? i am not going to drive 8 hours for a quad, 4 hours would be tops.

flyboy1294
05-22-2010, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by beags86
smokeing deal all over hun?? in my market there is hardly a z to be had, but alot of exs. markets are different all over, yes there are good deals to be had but how long does one wait to find one? i am not going to drive 8 hours for a quad, 4 hours would be tops.

I see. And I missed the part about the quad being for your wife. In that case, the 300ex or 400ex would both be good choices.

The 300ex has the reverse in all models, even if it is cumbersome at times. The powerband on the 300 is smooth and predictable through all gears. It makes most of its power in the higher RPMs, so she'll find herself revving it a lot. For trail riding it is smaller, so it is easier to manuever between obsticals. It is very lightweight, so if it is rolled you can basically set it up with one hand. But these two things can make it easier to flip if she isn't careful. In addition, the 300ex is aircooled with no fan or anything. I have overheated one after driving in first for about an hour.

The 400ex only has reverse on the 05+ models, and I have never ridden one with reverse, so I cannot speak for it. The powerband on a 400 is a little bit more fierce in the first 2 gears than on a 300. It makes most of its power in the lower RPMs, so she would not have to be as aggressive on the throttle, and it wouldn't be as likely to die at slow speeds on a hill. That can help when climbing, but it is more power to flip it backwards if she isn't an experianced rider. The 400 has a wider footprint, which makes it harder to flip sideways, but also can make avoiding obsticals more difficult. Lastly, the 400ex has an oil cooler, and from my experiance, is much harder to overheat in low speeds compared to the 300ex, and if you add a SPAL, I do not think you could make it overheat if you tried.

One last thing, both of the above mentioned quads are MUCH easier to work on compared to the z400. The 400ex is the easiest due to the roomy frame and simple design, the 300ex is the second place because of the simple design (even though taking off the stock plastic is a PITA), and then the z is about as cramped as any quad I have ever seen underneath.
- The SOHC air cooled engines are also a dream to work on.

There are a few pros and cons to each. The decision is ultimately up to you. I hope this was helpful.

beags86
05-22-2010, 07:51 AM
thank you you have been helpful, and that was why i posted this thread, and yes i have been looking at back threads about this, just trying to make sure i buy a good quad for her and for me. last time i bought my 250r which was great but it was something she couldn't even get started more or less ride. now that i live in colorado, with the mt. trails the 250r was to much for the type of rideing to be done. so far you guys have been helpful, and the reason i ask these questions it to make sure i buy some thing she can ride and something i take out and tool around on as well.