PDA

View Full Version : chain and sprockets??

hartwill
05-19-2010, 10:51 PM
hey everyone. i am new to the forum and to 250rs in general. i need help. i bought a stripped 250r about a year ago, just last week i got it up and running after a ton of money and time invested. on my second time riding it my chain fell off coming out of a ditch and you know what happened, yep it broke my case i am sick!! the motor was brand new. well any ways im sure this is a dumb question but every where i go it seems like they are trying to milk me for all i got so i need to know what is the best chain and sprockets for the money?? sorry for the long post and thanks for the help..

jcs003
05-20-2010, 02:10 AM
sidewinder has always worked for me.

Fear250r
05-20-2010, 04:44 AM
I've always ran Renthal without any issues.

rablack21
05-20-2010, 06:42 AM
I agree with jcs003. I have always had great luck with Sidewinder stuff. I have ran one of their chains and one of the stainless steel rear sprockets for years with very little wear.

86 Quad R
05-20-2010, 07:44 AM
for the average rider/racer, i have found that the best chain/sprocket combo for the money is a set of sunstar sprockets and a non o-ring DID chain. i ride in very harsh/wet conditions and with regular lube i can get atleast two years from a setup. :cool:

sorry to hear about ur misfortune...... a good case saver is well worth its weight in gold. :)

05-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
for the average rider/racer, i have found that the best chain/sprocket combo for the money is a set of sunstar sprockets and a non o-ring DID chain. i ride in very harsh/wet conditions and with regular lube i can get atleast two years from a setup. :cool:

sorry to hear about ur misfortune...... a good case saver is well worth its weight in gold. :)

Just curious, why do you prefer the non o-ring over the o-ring chain?

86 Quad R
05-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by 8686
Just curious, why do you prefer the non o-ring over the o-ring chain?

because i'll end up chewing up the o-rings in the chirning of water/sand mix and ultimately slinging them off.

muddymess
05-20-2010, 10:55 AM
I run sunstar/did combo for mine. I run XC and they hold up great. As 86 Quad R said though the o-rings don't last in muddy areas. I chewed every one of them off in one race before.

I went cheap and got a primary drive kit once and was just lucky enough to catch a broken link when i was tightening my shifter right before a race. It only had 1 race on it too. I had to bust it apart with a chisel and screw drivers then run around to find someone with an extra master link. Was not happy.

hartwill
05-20-2010, 12:06 PM
i think i am going to go with the sunstar and did combo. i live pretty close to hmf and thats what they recomended. thanks for all the help.. yea my bolt holes for the case saver where stripped out so i couldnt use one now i am paying dearly for it. the chain must have bunched up by my shifter and broke the bottom out of the case. i bought a near perfect case for $250 on ebay. i think that was too much but i am very impatient. any recomendations on case savers??

86 Quad R
05-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by hartwill
i think i am going to go with the sunstar and did combo. i live pretty close to hmf and thats what they recomended. thanks for all the help.. yea my bolt holes for the case saver where stripped out so i couldnt use one now i am paying dearly for it. the chain must have bunched up by my shifter and broke the bottom out of the case. i bought a near perfect case for $250 on ebay. i think that was too much but i am very impatient. any recomendations on case savers??

if you can find one, get the one that wraps around and includes the shift shaft when installed. otherwise a esr or equivelant will be fine.

hartwill
05-20-2010, 12:14 PM

Ruf Racing
05-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by hartwill

If you don't run in the mud and sand, get a chain with the o-ring. They will last, much longer. :D

86Rrider
05-21-2010, 10:49 AM
Just wanted to throw in my 2-cents here, mostly because in this day and age, there are few companies who's product lives up to how they advertise it:

I ran a Sidewinder sproket set and DID chain for 9 years. They talked me into a set of their ti-moly sprokets back when they first came out with them. The only reason I had to replace the sprokets was because I should have replaced the DID chain 2 years prior and not let the worn chain wear-out the fornt drive sproket.

I'm starting my 3rd year of riding on my replacement Sidewinder Ti-moly sprokets and "smart" chain, and I do not see anything that even remotely looks like wear! I'm sold...

Oh, I ride sand, wet sand, mud, dust through water, ect.

rablack21
05-21-2010, 11:44 AM
MY experience with Sidewinder has been like 86Rrider's. I have often times neglected to clean my chain and sprockets, yet my stainless steel sprocket and chain(both from Sidewinder) have shown little or no wear on them. It has definitely impressed me. They are a bit expensive, but you will get what you pay for and then some.

J.B.
05-21-2010, 11:51 AM
Anyone have a ballpark of what a similar setup would cost? (Sidewinder/DID)